Author Topic: Old School Seats  (Read 3746 times)

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
on: August 05, 2011, 11:51:09 am
I was wondering if anyone out there has tried to adapt an older Harley or Indian style solo springer seat to their C5 and how they did it and how things turned out.  When I say older I mean like from the 30's to the 50's.  I believe they are sometimes referred to as "police solos"

JP

Ton Up!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 04:32:52 pm
I didn't do that but completely removed the stock foam and started over with higher density foam.  It seems to be working out but if it doesn't I was thinking of the Corbin for old bikes:
http://www.corbin.com/harley/hybrid/bob.shtml
I really liked my last Corbin seat.  I'm sure this would take some serious adaptation to fit though.

Scott

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 06:51:07 am
Thanks for the link!  That may very well end up being the way I go!!
Ton Up!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 03:03:29 pm
It's pricey but looks really nice.  If you do it post some pics and let us know how the install goes.

Scott

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 03:40:12 am
I dont think it will be as difficult to adapt as you might be thinking.... It will probably be a month or to before I can acquire the seat, but once I do I will definitely post pictures and give feed back.  I'm also going to try and give them a call or send them an email to see about more info on the seat and if they might be able to custom or one off work...  I'll keep ya posted.
Ton Up!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 03:59:49 am
They absolutely do custom and one off work but usually they need you to bring the bike to their shop.  Search their site, you'll find it.

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 01:51:42 pm
I adapted a solo seat that was intended for a Sportster onto my Iron Barrel Bullet.
It was very easy, and just needed some simple bracket making.
I would suspect that the old school Harley style seats would be similar.
I think once you get the seat in hand and lay it on the bike frame, it will jump right out at you about how to make your brackets to suit.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 04:31:45 pm
My only concern with that seat would be that it has a mount for the center pole/spring mount but no fixings for seat springs.  I'm sure a quick call to them would let you know.

Scott

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 05:12:59 pm
I had one of those tractor style Corbin seats on my Heritage. It had a hinge in front and a pair of coiled springs in back just like my C5. The seat was much wider and the hinge much sloppier than the RE unit. The seat springs would compress then eject you off and it would bank left and right at a different angle than the bike. Add to that the rock hard foam and I was not happy.

A few years later I went to the factory and had a custom seat made. Best seat ever. And they ship your original back to you.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 05:23:30 pm
The world is sharply divided on whether or not they like the firm Corbin foam.  My home done seat is firmer than theirs and I like it.

The sloppy hinge is easy to sure, throw it out and get a nice one with bronze bushings from a good chopper supplier.  Pricey but it solves the problem.  Or use the crazy C5 arrangement that's already there.  I don't know what all those parts and pieces are for exactly but they don't slop side to side much and don't rattle.

Scott

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 06:00:54 pm
Hard foam is great if it fits your butt like my second one but I think a plank of wood would have been better than the off the shelf seat.

kingrock

• Scooter
  • 2010 c5 military/ The green Goddess
Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 04:32:46 am
I looked up seat for RE on EBay. One company has what they call an "American seat" read lardass. I want one it is wider and longer than stock. Anybody dealt with these guys. Their rating is good but their response to email sucks.

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 05:01:34 pm
Not knowing if you are specifically looking for a larger seat, but if you want your current seat reworked I would talk to Rich Maund.  he does outstanding work, and is reasonable. He has ditched having a website due to costs but can be found on Soviet Steeds.

http://www.russianiron.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11734

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 07:38:46 pm
I looked up seat for RE on EBay. One company has what they call an "American seat" read lardass. I want one it is wider and longer than stock. Anybody dealt with these guys. Their rating is good but their response to email sucks.

I recall one member got the "American seat", I think from Enfield County on eBay.  He said quality was ok and initial comfort good but hadn't put much time on it yet.

Scott