Author Topic: The B5: Is this the veritable bargain or am I missing something?  (Read 5065 times)

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
I like the black, the side covers, even the funky fender.  In fact, it's like a G5 without those strange-looking chrome ovals, which is a plus, in my book.

Black is always good on British bikes.  Think Matchless and Norton.

Is the use of 19-inch wheels a problem?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
"Is the use of 19-inch wheels a problem?"
--------------
Only that it somewhat limits the tires that are available when you decide you want to buy new ones.

Some shorter people would rather see the smaller 18" wheel mounted on the G5.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
You are missing nothing.  The B5, frumpy rear fender and all, is a more correctly priced RE.  

The $6.4k people pay for the C5 is too much, imho.  

But the 2-year warranty did kick the cost up a few hundred dollars, I'm sure.

I test rode a new B5 and rather liked it, although I do prefer the extra comfort of the C5 solo seat with springs.  The 19-inch wheels are said to help stability at higher speeds.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
The B is the one I'm into most of all the new school RE's.  Looks like the trouble maker in the group.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
I would expect taller wheels would, if anything, be beneficial to fuel economy, as well.

As long as I could find some good street tires and maybe, maybe, a set that would be decent for dirt road use as well, I'd be happy.

I just don't see a downside.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
B5 is the closest UCE to the classic. All the india made bullets used 19" wheels until the C5 came along. As noted there are fewer choices with tires but there's enough variety available to get anything done except maybe full knobbies.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Love my B5. Best thing is all the standard Indian 350 parts bolt straight on.

Some people do not like the Bollywood tank badge, but I replaced mine with a solid brass version which looks awesome.

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
Looks great.  I notice you went for the *ahem* "off-road" pipe, as well.

Dallastheologian

• Scooter
Yeah, I love mine and for the price you really can't beat it. I put the tan solo springer seat on mine and I love the way it looks. I also put the cream bags on the back. I love everything about this bike.

Dallastheologian

• Scooter
Hey Glenn where did you get the brass badge?

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Hey Glenn where did you get the brass badge?

Chawla at Royal Enfield Zone in New Delhi. Though if you google "Royal Enfield heavy brass tank badge" you will come up with a few suppliers in India for the same item.

Note that the supplied badge has same mount holes as B5 but is somewhat "flatter" than the B5 tank and needs to be bent a bit.

Well worth the effort though !!

ChrisS

• Scooter
My B5 is my commuter bike.  I have a temp tail bag on the rear and an "airfly" crash bar  and it has done everything I have asked of it.  The 19 inch wheels have been no problem for me, but I also have a sidecar rig and pushing the front wheel around is not a problem for me.

Cheers,
Chris S
2011 RE B5
2010 BMW R1200RT
2008 Ural Gear Up
1983 BMW R80RT

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
The B5 was my first choice, but my dealer, Doug Douglas, hadn't gotten one yet, so I "settled" for a G5. Gotta have that instant gratification. Not sorry, the G5 is great. But the B5 still looks great!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
The B5 is a bargain, no doubt about it. 

Scott