Author Topic: Video editing on a Mac?  (Read 3368 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
on: August 02, 2011, 04:32:44 pm
I am new to the Mac world. I shot some video of our ride on Sunday. Tried to edit it using iMovie but it was very difficult. I finally got it close to what I want, tried to upload it and... NOTHING HAPPENED! I can't even find a file by that name.  ??? Right now I am uploading the raw footage from one clip. Vimeo says it will take 7 hours. I will be on the other side of the country by then. This is frustrating. There has to be a better way.

Any suggestions?

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 05:30:10 pm
Hi Olhogrider,

I have a lot of experience with iMovie. What exactly are you trying to do?

Generally, what you'll want to do is create a new project and then import the video files you want to include footage from. Those files will appear in strips below the timeline. You can click-drag in those strips to extract the footage you want, and then drag those into the main timeline to add to the movie.

Once you've got it edited the way you want, you can export it in .mov or another movie format and select the automatic settings that will optimize it for the web. That will result in a much smaller file size that should take a fraction of the time to upload.

Anyway, let me know if I can help you with anything specific, either in this thread or through a private message. It can be a really rewarding application once you get the hang of it.

Also, if you've already got the movie close to what you'd like, then the long upload time is most likely due to your home Internet connection. Most ISPs provide slow upload speeds, so you should try somewhere that has a more robust connection like an office or a library.

Jeff
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:33:05 pm by jdrouin »

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 05:38:42 pm
iMovie isn't too bad when you get used to it, and it's free, so bear with it.

Try going to "share" tab, which will let you export the video with a bunch of size/res options.  

When in doubt, try the right-click with iMovie.  Once you figure it out you'll be working better.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:14:51 pm
Ok, guess I need more patience. I tried the "share" function. That's when nothing happened. Sending the raw footage to vimeo is going to take days. That's the downside of HD. To upload from a library, should I burn it to a disc or USB drive? Thanks

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 09:25:44 pm
Raw video has a much, much larger file size (many times larger) than a compressed format. In iMovie, you get a compressed format by using the "share" function to export it to a smaller size.

If you still have your edited video, you could go to Share -> Export Movie... and select one of the sizes listed there (Medium 640 x 480, Large 720 x 540, etc.). Depending on the format of the video you took, you might see different values (i.e. if it's in letterbox proportion). You would then give the file a name (it would most likely have the .mp4 extension already defaulted for you) and save it on your hard drive somewhere, like in the Movies folder.

Once it's done exporting, which could take up to 20-30 minutes depending on how long the movie is, you would then upload that exported file to Vimeo. That also might take some time, but it would be far less than uploading the raw video.

If the upload is still going to take 7 hours or whatever, I'd recommend going to someone's office or a library or a cafe to try uploading it where there's a more robust connection. If you're not on a laptop, you should be able to store the movie on a USB stick or DVD and then bring that to the library or something.

Sorry if this is throwing a lot at you. I hope it helps.

Jeff

72westie

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 09:37:00 pm
I use Videopad for Windows, not sure if they have it for Mac though. You can download the trial version and use it for 2 weeks, uninstall and re-download it as many times as you want! I like using the one, they also have a Audio editor, audiopad.

2001 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Race Bike:
2008 Ahrma Classic 60's #1 Plate
2009 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
2010 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
http://www.bgmotorcycle.com

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 04:46:17 am
When I clicked the finish button it said it would take 8 hours! The upload of raw footage to vimeo took over 24 hours. No I don't have dial-up, it just seems like it sometimes.

Here's some of the unedited.

http://vimeo.com/27200298

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 05:05:46 am
With the fuel drama !!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 06:10:18 am
So, olhogrider, did he get his gas or is he still sitting out there in the boonies waiting for you to finish your download and take a gallon of gas out to him?  ??? :D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 03:52:53 pm
He ( I ) did not run out of gas. In fact I still had some left when we got back home, thats 150 miles on less than one tank. It did create plenty of drama though.

The best part was the ride from Clearlake to Calistoga. I hope you have that video hogrider.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 04:06:51 pm
That looks really nice on full screen mode. What kind of camera did you use?

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 11:40:47 pm
That was shot with the Gopro HD. As you can see, he made it home. The camera was done by the time we reached Clearlake. We'll just have to go back and shoot some more. I added the Gopro wide shot from the license plate mount but it is pretty shaky. When I left the house it was uploading, I hope. I'll know when I get back.

The one-lane potholed section was fun but it was too rough for the chest mount. Completely unusable. Next time I should go back to the helmet mount.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 03:58:09 pm
Oh absolutely. I have to figure out to install those damn saddle bags so I can carry fuel. I had made a custom mount for the bags on my electra subframe. How does one install them on this bike. I am thinking zip ties.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 03:23:44 pm
I was going to say I left him for the mountain lions, but then I would be lion.

My first crappy editing job. Took me a week and the return of my son from summer camp. Anyway, Here it is. I appreciate any "Constructive" criticism, you know, like how to improve. Or just tell me to stop if it is that bad.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 04:20:44 pm
Hey hogrider,  I liked it, the picture was very clear, the scenery could have been a little better, talk about the road less traveled, that was it.   Good sound, not a bunch of wind noise.   I'd like to see Clearlake?   Go for it young man.

Cheers,

Terry   ;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 05:09:51 pm by TWinOKC »
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 04:42:14 pm
Ok, 1Thump, your audience has spoken. Ready for a ride to Clearlake? Say when.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 02:17:14 am
Next Sunday. I will sort out the carb and kickstarting woes by then. And mount the saddlebags to carry fuel.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 06:33:18 am
The 14th? I'm in!