Author Topic: Shifter side?  (Read 1774 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 31, 2011, 05:37:37 pm
Is it possible to get a quick summary of what model years had the shifter on which side, and/or how it's possible to convert this on the various models?  I'm not sure what frame fitments/configurations or transmission types, etc. are involved.

Would much appreciate any assistance.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 07:59:42 pm
All bikes sold in the US were LH shift when imported.  Older  4 speed models have a less than excellent linkage that is removed by a RH shift conversion for great improvement in operation, as well as better operation of the rear brake.     The newer 5spds (pre UCE) are just as good left or right shift but you will see a better rear brake  from the RH shift setup.

The new UCE/EFI bikes (2009 onward) are all LH shift and can not be converted to RH shift.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 01:10:52 am
The new UCE/EFI bikes (2009 onward) are all LH shift and can not be converted to RH shift.

Just wait til I get my hands on one !  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

No matter where you go, there, you are.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 02:59:09 pm
Forgot I'd already made this post!  Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the help.

I'm actually asking about Indian models, so I guess this is kind of the wrong place.  I suppose whatever the method, the loss of performance will be there. 

Too bad--I would love to have a Fireball based on one of the older Indian bikes, but would really prefer a left-side shift.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 03:02:37 pm by AgentX »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 03:47:51 pm
Forgot I'd already made this post!  Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the help.

I'm actually asking about Indian models, so I guess this is kind of the wrong place.  I suppose whatever the method, the loss of performance will be there. 

Too bad--I would love to have a Fireball based on one of the older Indian bikes, but would really prefer a left-side shift.

Actually, you could do it with an older Indian-made iron Barrel bike, but you'd have to update it.
The less desireable but functional way would be to buy the export left shift linkage kit for the models that get shipped to the US. This will work on any 4-speed Bullet.
The better method all around is to convert to the 5-speed gearbox and a 5-speed engine case that has a kick-start-only primary case These are kind of hard to find, but you can find them still.
Build your Fireball on that engine and transmission, and put it into your old Bullet frame.
Sell the old parts that you don't use, for some funds to buy the case and transmission that you want. The end result is that the 5-speed is a really nice transmission with good gear spacing, and it has a very good left-side shift thru the engine with a nice positive single shaft shifter which is real nice.

It will probably cost more money overall to do it this way, but it is a very solid way to get your Fireball built with later model parts that will fit into your frame, and you'll have a very good left-side shift and a real good gearbox.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 04:33:56 pm
Thanks for that incredibly complete response...I will investigate my options here!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 04:48:53 pm

Are you talking about Enfields "Made in India", or Enfields imported into the US as "Indians"?

All the "Indian" motorcycles were right hand shift.
The "Made in India" bikes were as listed above.

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 11:15:11 pm
Ehhh, never thought RH shift was all that bad.   Takes about 5 minutes to get used to unless you have a physical issue then you could just add a heal/toe lever to help.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 03:28:12 am
Are you talking about Enfields "Made in India", or Enfields imported into the US as "Indians"?

All the "Indian" motorcycles were right hand shift.
The "Made in India" bikes were as listed above.

Bare

I'm talking about Enfields made in/sold in India.  Guess for the classic-engined models that takes care of the issue; all RH shift.  My 2010 350 UCE is LH shift, of course.

Ace, while I understand the 5-speed transmission could be set up for the left side, what about the brake?  Assume if I converted a bike this way, I'd still need a linkage to get the brake lever to actuate on the correct side of the swingarm...would that need tabs welded to the frame?

Garbone, I may not have any physical issues with the RH shift but I think I have a mental issue with it. Partly a matter of training and muscle memory, partly a logical issue for me where it just irritates me that the simple transmission side/brake side pattern is broken up.  Guess with a little more riding I could clear that up, but man, do I just think it's annoying.  Heel/toe levers also annoy the crap out of me on either side...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 05:31:09 am
My biggest issue with switching to a right hand shift deals with safety.

Going back many years I rode a Ducati Monza for a number of years.  It, of course was right hand shift.

When I bought my Honda CB400 F, which had a left hand shift I did pretty good with it until I got into a panic stop situation.

That is when I found that stomping on what my body/mind had learned over the years was the rear brake just shifted the transmission down a gear with a jerk that broke the rear tire loose.
Fortunately the front brake saved me so I avoided the wreck but it sure got my attention.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 01:35:51 pm
I'm talking about Enfields made in/sold in India.  Guess for the classic-engined models that takes care of the issue; all RH shift.  My 2010 350 UCE is LH shift, of course.

Ace, while I understand the 5-speed transmission could be set up for the left side, what about the brake?  Assume if I converted a bike this way, I'd still need a linkage to get the brake lever to actuate on the correct side of the swingarm...would that need tabs welded to the frame?

Garbone, I may not have any physical issues with the RH shift but I think I have a mental issue with it. Partly a matter of training and muscle memory, partly a logical issue for me where it just irritates me that the simple transmission side/brake side pattern is broken up.  Guess with a little more riding I could clear that up, but man, do I just think it's annoying.  Heel/toe levers also annoy the crap out of me on either side...

Just get the whole parts combination for the US export Iron Barrel bikes.
They have the entire linkage and cross-over bar and brake pedal to match the left side shifting.
I don't know if the bikes in India have the brackets for the cross-over brake linkage, or not. I haven't seen the bikes in India. But, if they don't, the brackets could be welded on.

It's ironic, but I change all my bikes over to right side shifting here in the US. I prefer the more direct control actuation that is provided by right-shift and left-brake.
Many of my older bikes such as my  Ducati were right-shift and I can use either type, even in a crisis situation. It's just a matter of getting used to it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 05:21:42 am
My 2000 KS is RH shift,and I prefer it to my '99 & '02 LH shift models...this winter,I'll be converting those two to RH shift...already have the parts,just no time right now... :P
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~