Author Topic: Need Headlight/Speedo/Stuff for 61 Connie/Indian  (Read 2230 times)

gunnerasch

• Scooter
on: July 31, 2011, 06:26:15 am
Im working on getting this scooter up and running
https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/IndianRoyalEnfield

and am at the point where I need something to light my way at night. <G>And see how fast Im going!!

What headlamp housing/Casque/Speedo etc etc should I use? Anyone got something kicking around that I can get cheap, and use on this old girl?
As you can see from the photos..Ive got nada for a speedo etc etc and what appears to be a tractor headlamp is mickymouse mounted.

Advise, used bits etc etc would be greatly appreciated. Cash is dear..but I maight be able to trade Stuff for what I need.
https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/NewForSale

Thanks!

Gunner
 ;D

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
Hi Gunner, The # on the motor lists it as a 1960 Indian Chief. Go onto Hitchcocks and they've got pictures of all the old Enfields, That way you can see how to mount anything you might come up with. They also have used stuff you can probably use.      ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 01:23:18 am
I don't have any spare ones for RE Indian bikes but I've looked on E-pay under Motors, subgroup parts and accessories then jus type in harley headlight, bates headlight, indian headlight, or what ever you can think of. I've seen the larger bates type headlights on there for 20 or 30 bucks and the chrome still looked pretty good.

If your old twin still has a drive on the back wheel that works, you might be able to use one of the replica speedometers available for Royal Enfield Bullets or even rig one for a custom aftermarket speedo. Some of the E-pay stuff for REs from India might work for a Smiths drive set up off the original back wheel location. If you could find one of the old RE Chief dash panels you could rig one of the aftermarket Stewart Warner tombstone Speedos to work. Near all the older speedos use a cable type drive. The dificult part might just be getting a cable outer casing to fit up with the proper size nuts to fit drive & speedo ends with the proper length to get it up to the top end. The inner core would be pretty easy to get. They make universal cable repair kits for stuff like that.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 11:56:57 pm
They have the longer cables on Ebay that fit the earlier drive on the wheel that fit the cheaper fake smiths speedos.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

gunnerasch

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 09:55:07 am
Ive checked on Ebay..and the only dash Ive found..was many hundred$ of dollars.
So Im a big out of luck on finding one of those beasties.
Are the indian made headlight assemblies worth a crap?  I see Hitchcocks sells a headlight mounting brackets that attach to the upper fork..not stock or standard..but will indeed  hold the headlamp. Ive just about given up trying to do this in any original fashion...

Also..a question about the ignition switch located in the left side box under the seat. Mine of course is missing..shrug..but the ring around it says Emerg/off./On

What is the purpose of the Emergency position?
Thanks! 

Gunner, ready to drop the engine and sand blast then paint the frame.  And waiting for his manuals on CD from England

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 02:43:00 am
The emergency position means you can run the bike off the alternator.  ERC

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 03:53:26 pm
The key switch was only used on the battery ignition models like the Chief and Tomahawk. in the Indian badged family. Your "wide glide" front end was specific to only two models and they both had the 16" front wheel originally (the Chief and the Patrol Car models). This limits what you can substitute from the other Royal Enfield family of options. The enclosed head lamp models that used the little pilot lamps were the narrow front end version and would also require replacement of the lower section of the tripple clamp. Same if you went with the Trailblazer style triple tree. You would need the whole thing. Your best bet would be to go with any larger head lamp that can be attached either to the lower tree or the top clamp of the tree. You could also adapt to side bolted head lamp that is more common among all other brands of bikes like the many made in Japan types that languish in motorcycle salvage yards around the country. They used to make clip on head light mounts that would camp to the fork tubes between the top & bottom tree parts.  Youl likely have to adapt for a speedo in the same manner. Fabricate someting that will fit what you can afford. Necessity is the mother of invention. The old bike is already a bobber of sorts. It would look better with a larger size head lamp on there. You can put a speedo on there later. Gitter to run & have some fun.