Author Topic: blowing oil  (Read 3638 times)

KB8ANY

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 02:11:47 pm
BuckeyBullet:

From your post I can't tell which of the hoses you routed over to the chain, but I can suggest something to try.

First, get some clear tubing from your local hardware store, and cut and install it in place of all of the oil hoses.  Then watch as you go blasting down the road.

If what I _think_ is happening, the catch can is acting like an aspirator.  In effect, the hoses are reversed from what I think they should be, and a little bit of investigation bears me out, I think.  That is the problem I had, but every time I mentioned it to the dealer he simply did not respond - maybe he was concerned that it might be a liability problem.

Starting at about 45 mph I saw the oil being drawn up into the hose from the main storage tank.  Not froth, not bubbles, but liquid oil.  If I could have fiddled a way to mount the hose on the handlebars, at speeds over 45 mph I could have used it as a tachometer.

I solved this problem by routing the storage tank hose ( this is the larger one from the center of the top of the engine ) to the back of the bike, and the smaller one ( this is the "intake" ) to a cheap gasoline filter ( to act as ain air intake filter ) under the left side cover.  I originally used PCV valves to force air flow to remain in the correct direction, but eventually just got rid of them.  I plugged the hole into the air cleaner, but really only to keep crud out.

In my case, the level of oil in the engine had no impact on this; it was purely a suck-n-spit problem.  I left the clear tubing in place - it is comforting to be able to look once in a while.  I ignore the temperature rating on the clear tubing - there is no pressure in all of this to make any problem.

If you do this, be careful where you position the output hose.  There is oil / air mist that comes out of it, and you don't want that collecting on the edge of your tire.

Good luck.

Paul