Author Topic: Blue Smoke from Exhaust  (Read 6254 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 12:47:53 am
Although I can see why a dealer might suggest trailering a new bike home it does sound a bit extreme to me.

I do think a dealer should tell the new buyer to keep the top speed under 40 mph if possible but short increases up to 45 mph in top gear is OK if they are needed to ride safely but they should be kept to a minimum for the first 300 miles.

I think most riders would be able to decide if they can stay within these limits themselves and then decide if they want to ride or trailer it home.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 12:57:05 am
Although I can see why a dealer might suggest trailering a new bike home it does sound a bit extreme to me.
The uneducated extreme, would be doing 65 mph on the highway right from the dealer.
Most people will do what they want anyway. There is always some joker that tells you to break it in like you want to ride it,cuz my Uncle Buck use to race cars and knows better then the Indian Enginners.

Blue smoke is not good, I hate hearing that someone ruined a nice motorcycle right out of the dealer door.

2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 12:10:55 am
Its still not a big deal. All you might need is a cylinder rehone and rings. Do let us know how it turns out.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 02:13:11 am
Gee REpozer.  You don't sound like you believe the old adage, "Break it in Hard and it will run Hard!".

Back in my younger days that sort of nonsense was spouted by some of the racing guys I knew.
They always wondered why their cars often blew up on the track.  :D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 05:26:58 am
Yeah," break it in like you want to drive it."

I had an old timer tell me that almost 30 years ago. I thought it to be bad advise back then, and still think its wrong.

There are ways to break in a racing engine, that is different then a normal one. Ace would be able to explain .
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 04:40:02 pm
Racing engines are set up with looser tolerances so they will rev easier. The only thing that needs to be broken in (seated) are the rings. The engines are going to be rebuilt at short intervals anyway, so no one is trying to make them last, anyway. Ten feet past the finish line is far enough!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Cheema

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 05:22:14 pm
I have opened up the entire engine, checked the rings, piston and liner and haven't found any damage to any of these parts.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 07:57:14 pm
You won't see any obvious damage to the ring, the problem is, they lose their temper when they get overheated, (They're not pissed, they're just got soft), and won't stay pressed against the cylinder walls letting the oil and compression get by . You can take them off the pistons and bend them very easily, where they should be breaking when you try to bend them.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GreenRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 10:09:04 pm
I have opened up the entire engine, checked the rings, piston and liner and haven't found any damage to any of these parts.

Thats heartening, but you should still put in new rings and rehone the cylinder. I would put in the 535 cc piston now that you have it apart and are going to have to hone the cylinder, but you dont have to.