Author Topic: Blue Smoke from Exhaust  (Read 6258 times)

Cheema

• Scooter
on: July 24, 2011, 01:56:12 pm
I have just purchased a 2006 Electra with only 50 miles on it. The dealership has used Synthetic 20/50 oil in the engine before delivery. I drove home from the dealership with this oil for about 50 miles at a speed of about 60-65 mph. When I reached home, I read some information from Peter Snidal and the owners manual, which said that synthetic oil should not be used in Bullets. My dealer said it is fine to use synthetic oil with bullets. I changed the synthetic oil with regular 20/50 oil based on the recommendations from Pete Snidal and owners manual. Now, yesterday when I drove it for about 20 minutes at the speed of 60 mph on the freeway, looks like engine got overheated and blue smoke come out from the exhaust. So, first of all, should I use synthetic oil in my bullet or reglar mineral oil. Can regular oil sustain the heat from driving at that speed? Have I sustained any damage due to this blue smoke?

Any help would be appreciated.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 02:41:56 pm

I drove home from the dealership with this oil for about 50 miles at a speed of about 60-65 mph. ???????????????

20 minuets at 60mph on the freeway ???????????????

Following the break in instructions in the owners manual are far more important than the choice of oils IMHO.
Have you damaged the motor ?     Very good chance of that.
Is this what your dealer told you to do ?
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Cheema

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 02:49:46 pm
The dealer didn't provide me any info about the break-in instructions. All he told me was that I should not go higher than 65 mph. The motor runs fine after I saw the blue smoke.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 04:55:01 pm
This is. A rare case of petes advisee being wong. However I agree with Chris.o That bike should ver have been ridden that hard at that mileage. It is so that the odds of overheating it are hiigh. Gentle gentle gentle.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 05:31:34 pm
     The original Iron Barrel and the AVL should NEVER NEVER NEVER go on the freeway. They can sustain a 55-60 MPH AVERAGE speed, but can't sustain any constant speed for more than a couple of miles. They also require a long slow break in. Call me at 1-866-VINCEMC for details. At this point you are at least looking at new rings, probably new piston and bore, and some valve work. Hopefully the bottom end is OK. Don't put off the repair, and don't ride until it is repaired.  It won't heal itself.

Cheema

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 05:48:00 pm
I haven't ridden the bike since I have seen blue smoke. Was it just due to over heating of engine because of regular oil? I have driven this bike at 60mph before many times with synthetic oil without any overheating problem. This problem has just been observed only with regular oil. Is synthentic oil more capable to sustain heat than regular oil?

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 07:33:31 pm
I haven't ridden the bike since I have seen blue smoke. Was it just due to over heating of engine because of regular oil?
I have driven this bike at 60mph before many times with synthetic oil without any overheating problem. This problem has just been observed only with regular oil. Is synthentic oil more capable to sustain heat than regular oil?

No, It's not overheated because of the dyno oil. It's because your operating it way out of it's comfort zone without the benefit of any break in/run in at all.

Yes, synthetic oil will hold up to higher temps and is probably the reason your motor isn't in the scrap yard already. But no, it's not the fix for what your doing to the bike.
It's recommended to run dyno oil in the bike for the first few thousand miles to allow the bike to break in before switching to synthetic as the synthetic will hinder the break in process.

You really need to read the owners manual before you have no reason to read it left.
If you don't have one you need to get it from the dealer you got the bike from or right from CMW if in the US.

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 08:30:08 pm
Sorry to hear it Cheema.

I've been looking for a good parts bike.

Would you be wiling to sell me your Electra for $400?

Let me know how much shipping will be , maybe we could spit the cost.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Cheema

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 02:03:48 am
Thanks for everybody's input.

I am going to check the engine and ensure if everything is fine. I will continue to use the mineral oil during the breakin process before switching to synthetic oil.

I love my bike and won't let it go that easy.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 05:31:38 am
Good Luck to you and your bike.

I've heard that the older bikes like yours are more sensitive to break in than my UCE is.
That said, the break in period for my UCE engined bike was 40 mph MAX and not over 1/2 throttle for the first 300 miles.

From 300 to 600 miles it has a 50 mph MAX speed limit and not over 3/4 throttle.

Only after 600 miles are higher speeds (like 60-65 mph) OK and these come with a caution that reduced speed cooling off periods are recommended.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 05:24:50 pm
It's a good bet that your rings are wasted. You were riding way too fast for having only 50 miles on the bike. When you pull the cylinder off you can probably tie the rings in knots. They should be hard enough to break with a little twist. I wouldn't recommend synthetic oil for breaking in the iron barrels as the rings can you the extra bit of friction to help them seat more quickly, but you would have had the same problem with either type of oil.
The bottom end of the engine should be OK, but to make sure just check the rod clearances when you take the top end off.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GreenRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 08:40:14 pm
The dealer didn't provide me any info about the break-in instructions. All he told me was that I should not go higher than 65 mph. The motor runs fine after I saw the blue smoke.

Who is your dealer. I am sure Kevin would like to know as well. It is as much his fault as is yours.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 12:44:45 am
Dealer education is indeed important but reading the owners manual is also.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 03:22:23 am
Dealer education is indeed important but reading the owners manual is also.

True, but I do know of a dealer who recommends every new RE be trailer'ed home.

Cheema

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 06:20:56 pm
The dealer name is Hanna City Power.