Author Topic: TDC Tool Vs. Dial Gauge  (Read 20842 times)

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 12:07:50 am
Fredgold52
I used that method I attached with the link earlier and it now means first kick starting just about eveytime (I sometimes forget to push the choke down!). I have an ES but that is basically not used as far less satisfying and is really a peace of mind thing if one stalls at a junction etc.
Hope your timing goes well!!!
LSM
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 08:23:54 pm
I have no doubt that method wors fine in most cases.  It's just that with the little tool I made from an old plug, I can get the timing very exact without any extra work involved.  The inly thing that would make it better in my opinion would be to have an access hole in the primary cover that would allow putting a socket straight to the end of the crank.  That would be awesome for doing valves and ignition.

My work with performance kitted Vespa type two stroke scooters has made me this way.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 01:01:23 pm
I have no doubt that method wors fine in most cases.  It's just that with the little tool I made from an old plug, I can get the timing very exact without any extra work involved.  The inly thing that would make it better in my opinion would be to have an access hole in the primary cover that would allow putting a socket straight to the end of the crank.  That would be awesome for doing valves and ignition.
My work with performance kitted Vespa type two stroke scooters has made me this way. 

Fred G-
sounds like you've got it dialed in like a Swiss watch!!
Remember that as the points wear or go out of adjustment,
so does the timing. I fine tune my timing with the points like many do in India...
opening them = advance
Close = retard
Some how it just seems easier to me.
                     - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 07:59:00 pm
Baird, yeah, I know the points will wear.  The first time I had the cover off the points I lubed the little pad in there (along with the advance pivots) to try and keep the wear to a minimum.  Certainly the timing can be adjusted by changing the point gap.  Wouldn't be my favorite way to do it but it certainly would work.

Mine is dialed in pretty good.  It starts very easily - of course it helps to be familiar with the starting ritual.  These things are really fun to mess around with. :)

geoffbaker

Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 12:27:09 am
I just finished setting the timing by methods described above. I was rewarded with a bike that fired up first time... BUT

darn my eyes are getting old. I'm going to have to figure out a better way. I spent so long just "guestimating" where those lines on the tdc tool were... I even went into the shop and got my magnifying glass... and it still seemed to happen more or less by accident.

But it seems like its dead on!

My plug is pretty black, but I've only put about 5 miles on since rebuild, so I don't think everything is settled in yet...

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 02:45:37 am
CMW has a cool new item in the catalog... a mini-timing disk that mounts on the distributor shaft.  I guess you just find TDC, set the movable pointer to zero on the dial, break out the timing light, and go to town.

Might be one of the first items I get from the new catalog...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

bikehorn

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 07:26:31 am
So are properly adjusted points preferable to electronic ignition?

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 01:00:49 pm
Bikehorn, for me points are preferable because if something stops working I can fix it quickly and cheaply.  With electronic - although it is a well proven ignition - when the black box goes bad, all you can do is replace it.

I'm sure others have their reasons for preferring points and will share them.

That timing wheel thing sounds like a winner.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #23 on: March 14, 2008, 09:39:27 pm
Bikehorn

Certain electronic ignition systems can advance the timing if the battery isn't fully charged which can lead to big bang kick-back syndrome damaging parts (like ankles and sprag clutches on ES machines).
I have stuck with the points as it works, is cheap to sort out, more sort of originality and easy to fix if ever there is a problem!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: March 15, 2008, 09:13:03 pm
The other day, a guy at the local motorcycle/performance store asked me what had moved me towards a Royal Enfield rather than the more standard brands.  I explained that besides the styling, it had a history, it has a 6.5 :1 compression ration, a floating bushing for a big end bearing, points, dual leading shoe front brake, and it's slow.  That's good stuff.  That's where I live.  So the points are actually a feature of this bike for me.