Author Topic: new c5 almost  (Read 4646 times)

bittercrick

• Bulleteer
  • C-5 Chrome
on: July 22, 2011, 12:59:18 am
well my long awaited c5chrome is at my dealers shop,but after assembling and having done all the prestart stuff adding oil and gasoline.we found the bike very hard to get running and then it idles for awhile and just shuts off as if you cut the gas supply or hit the kill switch the bike was then taken on it's maiden voyage where it ran great untill whereapon it was parked it idled for a bit and died.so the dealer called motorworks after having checked all connetors and running a dignostic where it showed no codes.so he's now waiting to hear back from motorworks who i believe were going to call the builder in india. I'm having second thoughts on the whole thing.
even though everyone seems to be trying .I feel it should not have got out of RE'S hands till it ran correctly. bittercrick :-\
bikes Triumph 06 T100 - 01 Triumph Adventurer - RE C-5 chrome -78 Honda GL1000-83 Honda CB1100F

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 01:42:07 am
dang, that doesnt sound like fun. The truck dropped mine off at the dealer this afternoon. I spent a while walking in circles around the RE's at the dealer waiting and looking at the RE bikes from the 1970's and decided to buy the full sized headlight and brow for my bike. I'll be helping with  the assembly, hopefully keeping out of the way in the morning.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 02:33:23 am
bittercrick
It could be something as simple as the idle air bleed screw being incorrectly set.

Did the bike seem to idle very slowly or did it seem to idle quite fast?

Mine came with the idle speed set up so it ran pretty fast and I figure they did this because the engine is pretty "tight" when it's brand new.
Set fast as it was it seemed to be hunting for the right idle speed and it continued to speed up and slow down.  Every so often it would be idling fine and then it would just die.

When it died it was easily restarted but then it would start its "searching" again.

Anyway, IMO, if the idle speed is set too low while the engine is still tight it could easily die unexpectedly.  The catch is that it should be easy to restart.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

bittercrick

• Bulleteer
  • C-5 Chrome
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 02:48:29 am
Thanks guys but no luck we tried setting the idle up it still would die.and to get it to restart if you open the throttle full then while spinning her over back off the throttle slowly it would start like it couldn't quite get the air fuel mix right,b but if you let it idle down it ran a bit then stoped.and wouldn't start agin till you went through the same drill as earlier. >:(
bikes Triumph 06 T100 - 01 Triumph Adventurer - RE C-5 chrome -78 Honda GL1000-83 Honda CB1100F

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 02:56:05 am
Your right.  That doesn't sound at all right.

Hopefully it is something that is easily fixed.  Perhaps a disconnected (or split) rubber hose on the fuel body or at worst a bad ECU that just needs to be replaced?

Good luck with it and don't give up hope.
Except for the fuel injection, the sensors and the ECU the rest of the engine is about as simple as they get.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 03:29:23 am
Not a good start, so to speak.  If the dealer can't get it done on their own, and help from India takes too long, it might well be time to reconsider.  Good luck.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 02:22:49 pm
Don't get nervous, bittercrick. There are a million easy fixes possible, and thousand complicated ones.
At least the non-running bikes stands in your dealer's garage. Nice bikes break down only there  ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:25:00 pm by Maturin »
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 05:01:36 pm
If you still want the bike have just a little more patience.  As shown by CMW's recent replacement of olhogrider's entire engine, this company is committed to making customers happy.  Hang in there, it's probably an easy fix.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 06:56:59 pm
Bittercreek,
As was mentioned, did you check the hoses and the intake manifold for leaks? I'd pull the intake manifold and check that all the gaskets are in there. It just sounds like an air leak to me. Also check the tube that that says "not for fuel" that goes into a diaphragm on the top right of the injector. 
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 07:25:12 pm
I'd pull the intake manifold and check that all the gaskets are in there.

SB told me it's not uncommon that these are out of place.

Scott

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 10:13:53 pm
The dealer had trouble yesterday, he called in the afternoon. I gave him several ideas. By this morning I had two answers from the factory. By the time I got back to the dealer this morning he already had it fixed. He is pretty sharp by the way.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 10:28:58 pm
See?  That wasn't so bad  ;D

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 11:39:45 pm
bittercrick

Now where else can a person buy a product and have not only the dealership working on it but TWO answers directly from the factory that made it in less than a day?

Not only that but your problem got the ear of the owner of the Company that imports your bike.

Have fun with your new bike.  It's a good one.:)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

bittercrick

• Bulleteer
  • C-5 Chrome
Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 01:54:27 am
 ;D Well as been reported yup the dealer stayed late at the shop with locked doors so he could get something done he said, any of you guys know anybody that takes up bike shop owners time by hangin out an BSing ? anyway he methodicaly swaped each sensor with ones from another new RE till he hit the right one which turned out to be the ECU he finaly got it to show a fault it said oil sensor but the problem turned out to be in the ECU its self .anyhow I rode it home this evening in a heavy wind ( yuck) but it purred along fine at 45-50 mph. oh and I tryed kick starting it 1 kick and thumpity thump thump :)  bittercrick    ps thank you one and all for the encouragement .

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 02:02:34 am
Glad you got it running now. I did 160km/100miles today fresh out of the crate, you've got some catchin' up to do. Oh, is your rear tire mounted on the rim in the right direction? Mine is mounted with the steer tire arrows pointed forward. 
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں