Author Topic: Progress and pix  (Read 2858 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
on: July 20, 2011, 01:25:40 am
As I said in the "What did you do" thread, I visited my bike in Santa Cruz. Later I went by the Boardwalk, then up highway one. I decided to check out world famous Alice's but there were just a couple of dirt bikes. Across the street there were some exotic dancers so I took some pics! Fighting commute traffic I kept wondering if I could split lanes with a Miata.

Here are the pix (I hope).

https://picasaweb.google.com/rodemsky/71911Pix?authkey=Gv1sRgCN7J3s7DvpPmgAE

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 02:21:33 am
Good pictures.
I hope those drivers of the high dollar sportscars said, "Hey!  Nice Miata you've got there!   Those always remind me of a Lotus Elan without the curse of Lucus!"
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 02:34:21 am
They were in their own world. The girl was giving instructions to the Asian fellow in the Aston Martin. After a childhood with British and Italian sportscars I am very happy with my little Miata. My only complaint was the whisper from the exhaust. Now it has an obnoxious Cherry Bomb glasspack and a Harley drag pipe baffle to take out some of the bark. Trying for that Healey sound.

I thought some folks might like to see the engine with the cover off. You can see where the rotor rubbed the stator but it sure doesn't look that bad. Interesting how the starter is routed.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 02:56:03 am
Nice engine pics.  I can't remember, did the engine lock or did it just quit running?

I guess it would be a little pushy to ask for a loaner bike?

Hope you are back on the road soon.

Terry

2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 06:26:40 am
It quit. I was able to coast off the freeway into a gas station. I could crank it over but it wouldn't start.

lj3

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 08:08:20 pm
i miss the bay area but i don't miss the traffic. my wife used to commute every day across the bay bridge on a motorcycle. these days i drive 17 miles to work one way and often times i don't pass another car in either direction.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 12:54:51 am

The pics are great. Where are you shooting across the bay from? 
My favorite car of all time, my '94 Miata. It had a Firebird resonator. Sounded great. Sure had to turn up the stereo to hear the music though. Even had room to mount the spare under the trunk. Doubled the trunk space. Unfortunately, it ended up sliding inverted down the freeway. Can't say I recommend slow rolls in cars!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 05:15:24 pm
Lovely pics but I did think they were of actual "exotic dancers"  ::)
Dr B

lj3

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 10:30:35 pm
The pics are great. Where are you shooting across the bay from? 
My favorite car of all time, my '94 Miata. It had a Firebird resonator. Sounded great. Sure had to turn up the stereo to hear the music though. Even had room to mount the spare under the trunk. Doubled the trunk space. Unfortunately, it ended up sliding inverted down the freeway. Can't say I recommend slow rolls in cars!
Bare

he's shooting from treasure island, a retired navy base. the bay bridge is actually 2 bridges, a cantalever section goes from oakland to treasure island. the suspension section goes from treasure island to the "CITY" aka SF (don't ever call it frisco"

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 05:22:14 am
Yep that's it. The one from above the bridge I held the camera up as high as I could while I was driving. No place to stop.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 06:43:23 pm
That's what I thought. Treasure Island, in my interest, was where the Clipper seaplanes flew from in the '30s. I have several movies using that as a backdrop.

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 03:48:36 am
Bare, if you drive around the SFO airport, the FEDEX facility was built on the grounds of the old Pan Am hangar. There is a concrete ramp that they used to pull the flying boats out of the bay. It is a bit of unmarked aviation history.