Author Topic: Electric Starter Problems on ElectraX  (Read 5875 times)

Terri

• Scooter
on: July 17, 2011, 08:59:06 pm
I'm really frustrated with the starter problems that I've had with this bike since I bought it. I take it up to Hatley to Steve and Bill for yearly service, and everytime I take it in as the end of the season, I'm having trouble starting the damn thing. They've changed the starter and the solenoid an d the cvm box, or whatever it's called. Classic motorworks actually replaced that twice since they've had issues with it. I also had problems with the starter sprag. I've put on almost 10,000 miles, but I'm amazed that I was able to do that with all the problems that I have had. I called Steve because again, as soon as I got the bike home within about three weeks I had to kick start the bike, and, for me it's too damn hard to do that. Plus, I figure with an electric start that should be necessary very rarely. Anyway, Steve asked me to tap the starter solenoid with a small rubber hammer to see if that was the problem, and it was. So, I had to carry this hammer around, take off the battery cover and tap while using the electric start. It worked for awhile, but now I 'm back to the same situation. I really love my bike,and I've put a lot of money into personalizing the bike. I don't want to sell it, but, man, I'm just plain tired of these starter issues. If anyone else has had these issues, please let me know what you did to correct them. I appreciate your help. T
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 09:06:41 pm by Terri »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 10:25:42 pm
I'm not sure why Royal Enfield seems to have such a problem with something as simple as a starter solenoid but they do.
After all, it's just a heavy duty switch that uses a coil of wire to create a magnetic field which pulls a plunger down to connect the battery with the starter motor.

There are several different "Universal" starter solenoids on the market.
If you can figure out how to mount one of them to your motorcycle frame almost all 12 volt units will work.

Have you tried going on-line using Google?  Put in the search words, Motorcycle + starter solenoid and you should get a number of suppliers who offer these.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Terri

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 12:33:48 am
Thanks. I have some friends who can help me with finding a way to mount it to the bike, so, I think that you're advice is the best choice, otherwise, I'll be using my rubber hammer if I just replace the solenoid with Enfield's replacement again. I really appreciate your help.

Terri

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 03:22:19 pm
This is not a solution, so sorry if this is counterproductive, but is hitting it with a hammer easier than kick starting?  I exclusively kick start, once you have it down its as easy as yawning.

Let us know if an aftermarket solenoid works for ya. Good luck.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Terri

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 04:58:46 pm
I do know how to kickstart it. and it's not great for me. It hurts my ankle, and if a bike has an electric start, it should work consistently. Other bikes work, so why not Enfield. So, there has to be a solution to the electric start problem or I sell the bike.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 05:13:35 pm
Not trying to be rude here but you have put 10,000 miles on this bike and still haven't figured out that the electric start was a sales gimmick to lure riders of modern bikes? It was only designed to last long enough for you to learn to kick start it.

Someone just posted a video of a girl in India starting her Bullet BY HAND! It isn't that hard. If it is, there is something wrong with the bike or the technique.

Your only hope is Ebay or craigslist. There is a woman in N. California looking for a bike like yours. Check the UCE forum for a possible buyer.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 05:46:46 pm
The problem with the AVL is the decompressor dingy. It does not lift the valve but keeps it open once engaged when the valve has been opened by kicking. Once you get it past TDC, the kick itself is very easy. You could eliminate the AVL decompressor and get an aftermarket installed right into the engine head. If you have the performance CDI box installed you must know that it retards the ignition timing to make starting difficult as well. It can be overcome with timing adjustment keys available at the CMW website. If I still had my AVL, thats what I would have done.

EnfieldJake

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 01:58:24 am
Here's how I solved my electric start issues. if you need more info hit me up.
Jake
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10427.msg120913.html#msg120913