Author Topic: Measurements please-C5 classic  (Read 2530 times)

palace15

• Bulleteer
on: July 17, 2011, 01:46:08 pm

I would like some measurements please before I get a C5; this will enable me to decide what exhaust (muffler) to choose and still be able to use my ‘ali’ panniers!
I require the measurement from the highest point of the pipe to the top of the rear mudguard, a vertical measurement please, for the standard pipe and the sporty upswept.
I hope this is clear, and many thanks!
Dave

You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 06:20:54 am
HI Dave, got measurements only for the upswept and hope it helps.

These are approximate figures so do keep a bit of margin for error.

With the Upswept Exhaust;

From the tip end of the exhaust to the centre of the mudguard = 31Cm

From where the tip end joins the rest of the exhaust and the highest point of the baffle = 32Cm

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 09:17:49 am
Many thanks SSR, I really appreciate that, especially that you have the 'upswept' as if my panniers fit with that pipe then the 'standard' pipe will be NO problem.

Dave
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 09:37:52 am
Happy to take a measurement, but I think I need a picture of the spec you're looking for.
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 12:23:56 pm
Many thanks SSR, I really appreciate that, especially that you have the 'upswept' as if my panniers fit with that pipe then the 'standard' pipe will be NO problem.

Dave

Forgot to mention, I have taken measurements on the top of the mudguard. See attached picture for your reference. So you know what measurements I have quoted.

A is 31cm
B is 32 cm

@Andy I think this is how Dave wants it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:25:59 pm by SSR »

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 10:19:02 pm
Hi Andy and SSR

In the picture it was the 'B' measurement I was looking for, many thanks for your help guys.

Dave

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 11:23:48 pm
I am using the RE leather bags strapped to the mudguard supports. I had to remove my upswept pipe for a more horizontal setup or the bag would be fried.

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 09:24:07 am
Hi SSR

I measured the depth of my aluminium panniers and the measure 34cms, they would be 'slanted' slightly when fitted but do you think they could be raised to be clear of the pipe and not be in the way of the pillion pad and pad frame? I know that from the photo you do not have a pad frame and pillion pad but you seem to be the guy with the knowledge in this case.

I don't see many Enfields where I am, and before I get a C5 I would just like to know that my touring boxes could fit with an upswept pipe as the standard pipe is the 'original' here.

Many thanks

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 12:56:55 pm
Dave, can you post a picture of your panniers? I need to know where would you mount the whole thing on to the bike, what are the mounting points to secure the panniers? Are you going to fix it on the rear mudguard stays or the shocker top bolt?

Can you take a picture of you panniers from behind and print the measurements in between the cases. At least we would know how wide it is and it may clear the upswept and most importantly I don't recommend upswept for long touring.

Reason- If by any chance you get a flat rear then you have to take off the upswept to reach to the axle bolt. I had this misfortune of having a flat with the upswept in 111℉ temp and I know how I survived. I did mentioned it to RE R&D men but not sure if they did something about it on the new version of the upswept.

I am sure we can work something out to raise the panniers wee bit to not rub or sit agains the upswept.

Or you could simply modify the upswept and take care of two issues in one hit. Make the upswept bend a bit downwards about a 1 1/2inch.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:17:04 pm by SSR »

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 02:13:40 pm
On the C5 with stock muffie, 17 inches (43 cm) from the higest point of the muff to the apex of the mudguard.
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 05:02:29 am
I am using the RE leather bags strapped to the mudguard supports. I had to remove my upswept pipe for a more horizontal setup or the bag would be fried.

Those bags kill the paint job on the stays and mudguard, have you done anything about it?

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 04:01:03 pm
Those bags kill the paint job on the stays and mudguard, have you done anything about it?

Just leave them on. Besides, black is easy to touch up.