Author Topic: How is it holding up?  (Read 2350 times)

Wickedslick

• Neophyte
on: July 14, 2011, 05:49:02 am
I've been considering a RE Classic 500 so I have looking at reviews online.  The problem is I can't seem to find any long term reviews, so if anybody has had a  Classic 500 for some time, I was hoping you could share your opinions, good or bad.
Thanks

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 06:30:32 am
Welcome Wickedslick. 

Take time to read this forum and you will gain a deeper knowledge than what a few short replies can give, like this:

C5:  Solid motor, great handling, great mpg, spotty electrics
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 05:13:35 pm
Had mine since 09, 11,700 miles and it's holding up just fine.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:58:50 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 05:56:02 pm
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,11120.0/all.html

I've only got about 6500 miles.  You need to tighten all the fasteners for the first few months/few thousand miles until it breaks in and smooths out a bit.  There is more maintenance than most Japanese motorcycles, mostly minor routine checks and adjustments.  i've had a fwe minor problems but nothing terrible.  It's worth the extra work for the experience of riding a bike that feels like a 1950s British single but is more reliable and doesn't require the extensive maintenance most of those vintage bikes needed.

Scott

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 06:31:21 pm
Considering the fact that in technical forums people usually write mostly to get rid of problems, you'll find plenty of reasons to get one here. Some issues are a bit nasty, but generally the modern Bullets hold up well.
I enjoyed every single one of the 11000 kilometers on my mule, with the exeption of four of them I had to push  ;D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

josepharra48

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 03:33:08 am
I have an 09  c5 with 7,000 miles and the only problem I've had was a broken chain at 3,000 miles. It was replaced by warranty. I also have a 05 iron barrel and I have to tinker on it all the time.

josepharra

TheFatMan

• Scooter
  • The Fat Man's home on the lake
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 07:34:09 pm
Most of the fellows here have way more miles than me, mine is a 2010 C5 Military and just crossed 2500 miles.  It has been entirely trouble free for two short summers.  Only fiddling I've done so far is routine oil changes, checking fasteners and I upgraded to a 7" tri bar headlight and a deluxe solo seat.  The chain is loose, but not yet banging the guard and I'll probably tighten it one of these days.  I lube the chain every couple of rides or after a ride in the rain.  It doesn't burn any oil and has been utterly dependable in every way.  It's really a nice little bike.  Good luck with your choice.

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 01:24:49 pm
Just take the plunge and get one! One thing I've noticed in these posts is that no matter what problems people are experiencing with their bikes, they still love them. There is a personality with these machines that can't be described until you actually own one. I love my C5 military and it never gets old when you ride down the street and have people craning their necks to get a second look at that cool bike that just drove by them. And a few "nice bike!" yelps from the ladies doesn't hurt either.
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 05:16:53 pm
There is a personality with these machines that can't be described until you actually own one.

Well said bman734, beers to you Sir  :D 8)

No matter where you go, there, you are.