Author Topic: Not an idiot light - but will monitor battery - anyone try this??  (Read 4032 times)

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
I ordered on of these to see how it works - if so will mount it on the top of the electrical box or if enough room above the dial on the right of the instruments on the headlight casing

Only 1" deep from surface so will only come out about 3/4 " under the casting but already a lot of junk under there - it is also about 1/2" in diameter so maybe able to stick it somewhere.

NO room for an actual ammeter but all I really want is to know if battery is charged or charging or not and this liiile set of lights will do that!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200627678428
Dr B

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Might be handy to have.  Looking forward to see where you mount it and how it you like it.   ;)
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

perri

• Scooter
  • Italy
I put a voltmeter ......
c5 2009 italy

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Nice little device.  I like it better than the LED voltmeters because it's smaller and easier to hide but gives about the same information.

Scott

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Got the light installed above the Royal Enfield start engine dial. 14mm hole - little friggin around but relatively simple.

I spliced the wires into the switched lead next to the head light wiring grey and black and black for ground and positive.

Left it on the factory setting and it is amazingly accurate. Turn on the key - starts out green and if you just sit a while it changes to a yellow - click on the starter and it will kick to reddish and when the bike starts - back to green.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:45:26 pm by drbvac »
Dr B

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
That is great! I love it.

JesterNT

• Scooter
  • Maintenance is as much art as it is science.
Brilliant
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Be really interesting to see if you could replace the bulb and red filter under the "Royal Enfield" Light in the mini cluster with one of those.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Pure genius !!

Thanks for being the first among us.
Beers to you Sir !
No matter where you go, there, you are.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Excellent!
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
It is really slick and I cant believe how accurate the lights can be - it is set so that at below 12 volts it is orange so as soon as you turn on the switch and the headlight comes on it goes to orange - 11.8 volts. When you start to turn over the bike it goes to flashing - 10.5 to 11.5 and will sometimes goes red - lower than 10. When it starts and the battery begins charging it goes to green and stays there as long as the charging is going on.

You may be able to get it inside the "royal enfield emblem if it would fit inside the 14 mm space . There is a little button on the side of the unit which you use to choose different types of  patterns of voltage.

Dr B

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
It's an awesome idea to put it in the RE logo but the logo on the faceplate is red already.  It might be tough to descern the other colors behind the red faceplate.  That said, I'd love to have that logo be an inidicator light!

Scott

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Oh, but this it great stuff! I just might be in for a faceplate redesign!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Ah!  Full custom!  Now that's a thought.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Dr. B:

Looks and works very well ! Gread idea.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5