Author Topic: A UCE Enfield for the lady: First Bike  (Read 11814 times)

celarose

• Scooter
on: July 14, 2011, 11:22:59 pm
Hello all-

I am in the beginning stages of buying a bike for myself. First research. At first I thought Triumph Bonnie, but then my interested peaked when I saw the Royal Enfield and my husband (who is also Indian made : ) couldn't be happier. I need some genuine feedback on a RE for a tall woman. My budget only allows for a used bike.

1. Maintenance? What does it take for a newbie chic (somewhat tool-friendly) to maintain this bike by herself?

2. I live in the Bay Area, Cali. Any special hoops to jump through if registering a bike from out of state?

3. Is this bike a good option for a first bike (I ride a DR650 Thumper occasionally) I will be using it as a commuter bike/weekend fun bike from S.F.

Thanks!
CelaRose
CelaRose @---}-----
JeepGrl: '01 Wrangler
RE Dreamer: Future Owner

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 11:42:48 pm
It would be a good choice for you as the new Enfield would cost about the smae as a used Triumph.How tall are you? IT should be a good fit at any rate. I haven't heard too many complaints from tall people, but being a squatty body may need some else to chime in on this. At any rate, they are great bikes, great fun and probably will give you great service. But having owned a lot of bikes, none of them are perfect and con fail for niggling stuff. On the other hand you will nearly double the gas mileage on the Bullet over most other bikes out there, and get better mileage than all the rest short of a motor scooter! Insurance is a lower rate than a Triumph. Two year unlimited mileage warranty.
Exclusiveness, you won't meet yourself coming down the street very often. No one is going to play the "See how many you can count, I spy" game on a road trip. Even a great forum here to keep everything kosher. What else can you ask for?
It's a great deal all around!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 11:58:01 pm
1. Maintenance? What does it take for a newbie chic (somewhat tool-friendly) to maintain this bike by herself?

Pretty easy, mostly tightening nuts and bolts for the first few thousand miles, oil changes, and adjustments in the owner's manual.

2. I live in the Bay Area, Cali. Any special hoops to jump through if registering a bike from out of state?

If it doesn't have at least 7500 miles they won't let you register it in Cali.  This applies to all out of state vehicles.

3. Is this bike a good option for a first bike (I ride a DR650 Thumper occasionally) I will be using it as a commuter bike/weekend fun bike from S.F.

It is a nice first bike but if you're looking to spend a lot of time on the freeways this may not be the bike for the SF area.  65-70 is about top cruising speed after break in and some Cali freeways that's too slow for the slow lane.  The bike is more comfortable at 55-65.  You judge by how you plan to use it.

Scott

celarose

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 12:42:52 am
Appreciate the replies...the next obstacle is to find one of these beauties in my price range ($4,000). The bike seems to 'feel right'. I sat on a G5 and C5 in the showroom today. I love anything vintage it only makes sense to ride something similar (but with newer technology :)

@ Ducati Scotty: my only worry is highway, but I foresee only short rides, so it might be something I can live with. If I need to get anywhere fast we have other toys  ;)

@ Barenekd: I am 5'11" close to the 6' mark...so any guys bike actually works out for me. It was comfortable on a stationary bike, just wondering about a moving one. And I greatly appreciate the forum support. Invaluable!

Additional question: What does it take to yank the emissions crap off the new California bikes?

CelaRose @---}-----

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 12:57:25 am
@ Ducati Scotty: my only worry is highway, but I foresee only short rides, so it might be something I can live with. If I need to get anywhere fast we have other toys  ;)

I rode from Protland, OR to Redwood City, CA mostly down PCH but needed to get on the Freeway from about marin to Redwood City.  It was no trouble for me.  I stayed in the right lane and was ok

Additional question: What does it take to yank the emissions crap off the new California bikes?

It's just the charcoal canister, same as any other bike.  Remove the canister, run the two vent lines to ground, and plug the vacuum line.  Of course that's for closed course use only since it would be a federal violation to remove your emissions system, right?

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 12:59:05 am
celarose
Because you posted this in the UCE (Unit Construction Engine) section of the forum I'm assuming you are considering one of the newer (2009-2011) fuel injected  Enfields.

If you buy one used, I don't believe the warranty is transferable to you so the 2 year unconditional parts/labor warranty may not be available.
On the bright side,  as was mentioned,  a brand new Enfield is probably less expensive than a used Triumph.
If you can find one, a new Royal Enfield B5 with California emissions equipment is about $5700 + dealers prep/license/taxes.
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/models/classic-b5.html

As I'm sure you know these Enfields are high on torque (30.46 ft/lb) but low on horsepower (27.2 hp) which makes starts from the light very strong but the acceleration tapers off pretty quickly as the engine speed increases.

The Royal Enfields gather a crowd wherever they are parked so be ready for total strangers walking across the parking lot to look at your bike and ask questions about it.   ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 01:04:29 am
...As I'm sure you know these Enfields are high on torque (30.46 ft/lb) but low on horsepower (27.2 hp) which makes starts from the light very strong but the acceleration tapers off pretty quickly as the engine speed increases. ...

The actual HP. at the wheel, is around 20.  I paid $100 to find that out.   :-\
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 01:07:46 am
celarose
You posted while I was writing but I'm 5'-10" and my G5 fits me great.

Although I live in Arizona, I bought a California approved bike because it was faster to get delivered.
When I did this I asked about the California emissions junk and specifically whether they had revised the computer mapping.
I was told that the ONLY difference was the addition of the charcoal canister, the sealed gas cap and the two hoses to the canister.
They did not detune the bike at all to meet the emission requirements.

For that reason, I just left the canister on the bike.  I figure it makes for a very good tank vent filter.  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

GreenRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 01:26:38 am
Appreciate the replies...the next obstacle is to find one of these beauties in my price range ($4,000). The bike seems to 'feel right'. I sat on a G5 and C5 in the showroom today. I love anything vintage it only makes sense to ride something similar (but with newer technology :)

www.royalenfields.com lists many used RE's for sale.

Cali requires the odometer to have 7500 miles, not the bike.

GreenRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 01:28:51 am

Just have to make sure that nobody tried to register the bike before and got denied. Once denied will never be allowed. Just give the VIN to DMV and check it for you right then, even on the phone.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 02:32:28 am

Too funny!  Yes, that's correct.  And I think there's an exception if the odometer is not accurate, like if it was replaced.

Scott

celarose

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 03:45:37 am
You guys have given this girl a LOT to think about. We are debating the new vs. used...the two year warranty is tempting. The fact that I am in Cali makes it a little more difficult to find a (used) bike, model, clean DMV/VIN check, etc. It might be worth the extra $$ to buy new. I'll be debating this fact until I can come up with the dough.
CelaRose @---}-----

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 04:02:53 am
I would also recommend going with new.......that way you get to break it in yourself, plus you get the 2 year warranty.  These will work great for a 5'11" person and I would suggest trying all 3 bikes before you buy as the handling characteristics are surprisingly different.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 05:30:22 am
As I am in the last stage of breaking my G5 in I'll be the first to say that doing it yourself is a nice advantage.  You know for sure it was done right.

The word is that  Enfields need quite a long gentle break in process.

I think the jury is out on the importance of this on the new UCE engined bikes but there is little doubt  the older Enfields could be badly damaged if the new owner wasn't aware of the proper break in procedure and he/she tried to get maximum power out of them during the break in period.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 02:32:23 pm
Welcome to the forum celarose!
I second to all mentioned above. I may add, that it probably makes not much sense spending time in order to find a used one. You'd rule out the warranty, on the other hand you would not save too much because of the distances to go to have a look at a candidate. In addition there is the B5, sold a bit cheaper but not yet available used.
Maybe it'll be better to ask about a credit. Anyway, what's the interest rates for RE in the US? I paid 6% last year in Germany, what was uncomfortable. The bike's appeal was stronger, though   ;D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 03:24:27 pm
The method I used to buy a new G5 with zilch money in the bank was to buy it on a credit card, then transfer the whole balance onto a new credit card offering one year interest free on balance transfers. Lots of such deals here - the banks are begging you to get into debt with them! The charge to transfer the balance was 3% - a lot less than interest payments! When the year was up, I did the same again with the now smaller balance onto another card - same deal. If it's not paid at the end of this year, I'll do the same again.
This kind of behaviour is called being a credit tart  :D
I should care- I HAD to have that G5 DeLuxe from the moment I saw it & sat on it in the showroom. Three days later it was in my garage  :D ;)
No regrets.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 03:51:19 pm

Yep. Thats correct. I have an old smith speedo with about 9000 miles. I can loan it out if the speedo on th eused UCE you plan to buy is broken. :P

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 04:37:27 pm
Here's an option as well
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/2485356233.html
Says it has a CA title already. Might be a bit more of a handful to maintain, but you'd get that real Enfield experience  ;D

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 06:48:23 pm
I live in SoCal and I ride the LA, Orange, San Bernardino and Riverside  County freeways pretty regularly. I usually stay in the slow lanes and have not difficulty. Sometimes I even get forced out to pass someone. I generally try to stay under or about 65 indicated, which is probably high 50s in reality. If you crouch down a bit your mileage will improve.
As for the speedo, there are shops that can suddenly add 7500 miles to you odo. Ya didn't hear that here! But, would highly recommend a new one and put your own 7500 on it so you know it's been broken in and cared for properly. Your payments could be under $100 a month. You'll save a lot of that in gas if you ride it instead of taking the cage.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 07:17:52 pm
I am in NorCal East Bay. I went through the same debate, new vs out of state used. I finally settled on new. I am VERY happy with that decision! Sure I get to break it in and know it is done right, and the little annoyances are quickly dealt with by Royal Enfield, but I experienced one of the extremely rare failures that would have cost major bucks. Instead, Royal Enfield is replacing my engine! I could hardly believe it. Save your money or make payments, but the warranty has more than paid for itself. Also, I bought mine from Fresno, the best dealer in the RE system IMHO. Big Al is a frequent poster here. I didn't want to trailer all the way to Fresno for repairs, so I stopped off in Santa Cruz. They are working on it now. If you are considering doing business within the SF city limits, pm me for my story. I vented here but it was deleted.

Dan

celarose

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 11:56:46 pm
You guys are awesome, these are exactly the spirit of answers ;D to my questions I was looking for! We have found a used bike in NorCal but it is registered in Idaho.

http://siskiyou.craigslist.org/mcy/2489730688.html

1. I'd like to register in in Cali, but it doesn't have the emissions parts. As much as I want to save the environment, I'd like to put them (emission canister, etc.) on, take a trip to the DMV and if it happens to "fall off" after the trip so be it. Does any one in the Bay Area have the emission parts?

2. Um, the odometer thing...easy or not so easy?...diy or skilled mechanic? Of course, I could take a big road trip to solve that issue.

Keep it coming boys!
CelaRose
CelaRose @---}-----

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #21 on: July 17, 2011, 12:07:04 am
7,500 miles ??? Ride the crap out of it !! 8)

Last year I saved over three thousand dollars in gas costs by riding instead of driving to work.

ETA

Riding the required mileage should be a lot more fun than borrowing a speedometer for a day.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 12:11:00 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: July 17, 2011, 12:13:45 am
You guys are awesome, these are exactly the spirit of answers ;D to my questions I was looking for! We have found a used bike in NorCal but it is registered in Idaho.

1. I'd like to register in in Cali, but it doesn't have the emissions parts. As much as I want to save the environment, I'd like to put them (emission canister, etc.) on, take a trip to the DMV and if it happens to "fall off" after the trip so be it. Does any one in the Bay Area have the emission parts?

2. Um, the odometer thing...easy or not so easy?...diy or skilled mechanic? Of course, I could take a big road trip to solve that issue.

Keep it coming boys!
CelaRose

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the charcoal can involves some drilling, may not be an easy thing to bolt on/off.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: July 17, 2011, 12:51:42 am
The filter uses a bracket that is bolted to the front engine mount.  Two holes will need to be drilled for it.

If someone has removed their canister and is willing to part with it they should be willing to throw in the bracket.

The tough part of trying to make the bike California legal would be the gas cap.
These are the screw on kind of cap like you will find on most cars today and the filler neck of the tank would have to be changed to work with the California cap.  Without finding a wrecked Enfield getting a new gas tank would be almost impossible.

You can see the charcoal canister and the two gas lines connected to it in the photo below (if you squint hard).
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: July 17, 2011, 03:34:36 am
If you want the cali emissions get a cali bike. It's not just the gas cap and the charcoal canister, the fuel tank and throttle body are different too. Would be an incredible hassle unless you had someone who wanted to trade all those components.  The evaporative emissions make a bigger difference on a carbureted bike than an injected bike because there are minimal fumes evaporating out of the throttle body compared to a fuel bowl.  My old BMW stunk up the garage with gas fumes but my efi enfield without the charcoal canister doesn't smell like gas at all.

celarose

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: July 17, 2011, 05:01:32 am
Hi all,
I am the lucky spouse of Jess (which means its my $ on the enfield ;).

I am from India originally, so i both love and appreciate the Enfield. Am pleasantly surprised that Jess took to it so strongly over other bikes that i've tried to interest her in.

So the big dillemma is still used or new. We are both finding it hard to justify a new bike for various reasons though our hearts want us to. Used seems the way to go, but we all know that the warranty on these things is a precious thing...

Here is an '09 G5 we are actively considering that we need your advise on...

In considering the aforementioned Idaho/Oregon enfield, it appears that bolting on the Emissions plumbing is not an easy DIY option. So be it. Perhaps a 6000 mile journey in the comforts of an understanding friend's garage might the be way to go.
How difficult a task is this?

Finally, in talking to the young guy that's selling the Idaho/Oregon Enfield, it appears that:
1. he is not an RE guy. he liked the look of it and got it to run around in school.
2. He did not do the 300 mile service, but went straight in to the 1000 mile service (bike currently has 2400miles) performed at a friend's garage...
3. He dropped the bike once and ended up replacing handlebars and headlight. There is apparently a very small ding in the tank and minor scratches. Photos are awaited.
4. He currently lives in N.California near Shasta and is well aware that the bike cannot be easily registered here.
5. Claims confidently that bike runs without problem. No other known issues other than plug fowling when trying to start repeatedly in the idaho winter.
5. Asking price for his '09 G5 is $4300. Am sure i can knock off a few hundred. Not sure what my final offer would be...

So, we are thinking of going up north next weekend and taking a look at it.

Anyhoo, appreciate all your suggestions and absolutely love your tongue-in-cheek humor and advise. You guys are half the reason to get into an RE.

Sri
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 05:11:05 am by celarose »
CelaRose @---}-----

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: July 17, 2011, 05:44:29 am
Good luck on the bike shopping.  You'd be saving a few grand getting the used one and I personally would not be scared away by the previous owners break-in. However,  if it was me I'd use your money on a hearty down payment on a brand spanking new B5. A few thousand down and the payments would be minimal. I've heard horror stories about registering an out pf state bike. Even if you do it right if you get the wrong clerk at the dmv, they could flag it out of ignorance and then your up a creek. As far a I understand the guy selling the bike can register it in California without the 7500 miles cause he moved here. Id give him a down payment and have him register it here in his name before buying it.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: July 17, 2011, 07:24:43 am
So what I'm hearing is if someone moves his residence to California the 7500 mile requirement is lifted and the bike could actually be registered there?

That would make sense but sense is not something California is always noted for.  It would be good to make sure before trying this.

The other thing I'm thinking is if the owner is just visiting California, is not employed there and hasn't established a perminant residence he would not be able to register the bike.  It's something that needs to be fully checked out before any money AT ALL is given to him as a down payment.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: July 17, 2011, 04:09:53 pm
The speedo work can be done easily, but you have to take it to someone who has the tools to reinstall the ring that hold the thing together. I'm not sure if all UCE bikes are CA legal. They just started selling them here with the 2011 models. To upgrade them may be quite expensive. The catastrophic converter muffler alone is $650. A speedo shop would cost less than $100. You need to look for a shop that does old English speedos, There are a few around. did you say you were in SoCal? If so, call (562)464-0699. They can handle your request.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: July 17, 2011, 04:52:40 pm

Keep it coming boys!
CelaRose

DMV folks do not know or care about emissions thingies. Just have to have 7500 miles on the odo. I had it on my title as well.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: July 17, 2011, 04:58:12 pm
As far a I understand the guy selling the bike can register it in California without the 7500 miles cause he moved here. Id give him a down payment and have him register it here in his name before buying it.

Absolutely correct

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: July 18, 2011, 05:16:43 pm
There is a woman on the AVL forum with 10,000 miles on her bike. She is frustrated by the crappy electric starter. You might make her an offer.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #32 on: July 18, 2011, 06:31:50 pm
DMV folks do not know or care about emissions thingies. Just have to have 7500 miles on the odo. I had it on my title as well.

A few years back with cars you had to either install the Cali emissions equipment (practically impossible to retrofit any modern car) OR meet the tailpipe standard and pay extra when you registered.  A petition was made that if you were meeting the tailpipe emissions without the Cali equipment you shouldn't have to pay extra so that part was dropped, just meet the emissions.

The don't measure emissions on bikes.  I'm not sure if the 7500 miles was added then but it may have been.  Basically, they don't want you buying a brand new vehicle in a neighbouring state and taking it back to California.

Scott

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: July 18, 2011, 06:44:52 pm
3. He dropped the bike once and ended up replacing handlebars and headlight. There is apparently a very small ding in the tank and minor scratches. Photos are awaited.

I had a similar fall on mine right after I got it, with similar results. If you go look at the bike be sure and check the fork stop on the side he fell, mine ended up being bent, so that even with a new handlebar, it would hit the tank on that side if you turned the bars all the way. The dealer fixed it for now by just drilling a hole in the stop and putting a bolt in to mimic the previous stop point.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: July 18, 2011, 11:21:25 pm
I brought in an out of state bike with 8000 miles on the odo  ;) The DMV inspector only wanted to see the VIN and the "Emissions Sticker" I was lucky it was a 50 state model and had the sticker. This bike sounds like $$ savings but a very high probability of not being able to register in CA.

Seriously, check with Al on the out the door price of a B5.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: July 19, 2011, 02:30:31 am

Seriously, check with Al on the out the door price of a B5.

+1

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: July 19, 2011, 04:27:56 am
Sri and Jess,
New B5 California bike is the most sensible way to go. You will waste a lot more in time, money and effort on a used bike that you may not be able to register......best of luck with your decision!
GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

GreenRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #37 on: July 21, 2011, 04:18:33 pm

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #38 on: July 21, 2011, 04:29:05 pm
That looks like a nice buy but did they make UCE bikes in 2008?  I thought they started in 2009.  Not that you should hold the owner's lack of knowledge against them, that looks like a nice bike.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: July 21, 2011, 04:41:44 pm
It is a UCE bike. Couldn't swear about the year though, I thought they were started in 2009, too.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #40 on: July 21, 2011, 08:16:49 pm
Maybe a super early release one that got a 2008 VIN plate?  or a typo in the ad, I dunno.

Check that for sure if you consider buying it.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: July 21, 2011, 08:27:18 pm
It only has two problems.

1.  With 290 miles on the clock it can't be registered in California.

2.  It's a Looooooong way from Iowa to California and riding at the recommended speeds during break in on the superslabs can be life threatening.

There's gotta be a used UCE somewhere in California.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #42 on: July 21, 2011, 08:32:55 pm
With an electric drill and a little time I could sort out the odometer issue ;)

celarose

• Scooter
Reply #43 on: August 16, 2011, 04:42:05 pm
All,
a quick update on what has transpired in the past 3 weeks for us:

My wife Jess and I went to Nor Cal to look up the RE and to take it for a spin. The RE was in better shape than we anticipated with only a minor scratch here and there. I then took it for a ride and was delighted with the seating position and general positive vibes. Getting to 45 mph was effortless, but the bike seemed happiest at 55 and generally did not feel too peppy after that. But that was what i expected anyway.

However, the big red flag for us was right on the dash - the CEL was on all the time. I asked the owner about this and he generally dismissed it as "oh it was always on like that". Apparently his mechanic buddy had assured him that its just fine that way.
On that topic, the bike was not broken in properly. He changed the oil only once at 1000 miles (it has 2100 miles or so to date) and nothing else was required. The bike had had a fall which required changing the handlebar and fender. He says the CEL has been on since around that time, a year ago.

For me, it was a genuine cause of concern. I asked if he could have the CEL sorted out at an RE dealership at his expense. The owner declined because of the expenses involved in trucking it to an RE dealership. He lived literally in the boonies of NorCal, was getting married soon and generally just wanted it gone, without costing him anything more.

We had to walk away from it, but not without heavy hearts coz we both really liked it, but we also did not want to deal with the potential expenses of a bike that had a CEL and also was not properly broken in.

Just yesterday, we tried on an 2002 883R sportster. It would cost us only a few hundred $ more than the used RE. We are dazzled at the beauty of that bike, but the really low seating position, and the paint shaker vibes put us off. We are still thinking of an Enfield, but waiting it out.

Anyway, wanted to just let you all know what is happening. Will keep you posted as to the final decision.

Sridhar

CelaRose @---}-----

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #44 on: August 16, 2011, 04:47:56 pm
First oil change at 1000 miles isn't the worst sin though most of us do it earlier.  The engine warning light, you could just ground the indicator lead, read the blinks, and see what the code is if you're still interested.  It may be something minor.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: August 16, 2011, 06:08:13 pm
Sense the bike was running alright the Service Manual indicates the following problems may have been the cause of the glowing MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light).
1. Throttle position Sensor circuit malfunctioning. ( 0 long, 6 short blinks)
2. Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) circuit malfunctioning ( 0 long, 9 short blinks)
3. Engine Oil  Temperature (TE) circuit  malfunctioning ( 1 long, 1 short blink)
4. O2 sensor circuit malfunctioning ( 1 long, 7 short blinks)
5. O2 sensor heater circuit malfunctioning. ( 4 long, 5 short blinks)

There are other blink codes that would appear if the engine would not run but I won't list  them here.

In my opinion, although all of these blink codes that show up on a bike that is running need to be addressed, none of them are really dangerous to the engine or the rider.  Incorrect fuel metering is perhaps the biggest potential problem but in most cases the engine will be running slightly rich so there is little danger of burning a valve or piston.

To test for these blink codes, somewhere near the computer there is a wiring connector that isn't hooked up to anything.  On my G5 it is dangling exposed on the right side just below the seat and above the air filter box.  The plastic wiring connector has holes for 2 wires.

With the key on and the MIL glowing, place a short piece of wire in the connection with the wire leading into it and ground it to the engine or a bare spot on the frame.  The MIL light will blink out the code.

As for the oil changes the bike does have two magnetic plugs to trap particles of steel and the filter has quite a lot of filtering area so harmful particles should have been trapped before they were delivered to the critical areas in the engine.

The oil filter does have a pressure operated by-pass that will allow dirty oil into the critical areas of the engine should the filter become blocked but IMO this condition is rather unlikely.  

It wasn't mentioned but my biggest concern with this bike would be its California registration status.  I sure as hell would hate to buy a bike only to find that the State wouldn't allow me to register or ride it on the streets.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 06:12:19 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #46 on: August 16, 2011, 06:20:16 pm
However, the big red flag for us was right on the dash - the CEL was on all the time. I asked the owner about this and he generally dismissed it as "oh it was always on like that".

I think it was right to walk away. It was probably only a loose connector, but I´d get suspicious why the seller didn´t check it himself. At best there´s the assumption is that he doesn´t care much. And I wouldn´t like to buy a bike from someone who doesn´t care much.
Well, never be in a hurry when you buy a used vehicle! Good luck!
Maturin
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

celarose

• Scooter
Reply #47 on: August 17, 2011, 02:55:38 am
Sense the bike was running alright the Service Manual indicates the following problems may have been the cause of the glowing MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light).
2. Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) circuit malfunctioning ( 0 long, 9 short blinks)
3. Engine Oil  Temperature (TE) circuit  malfunctioning ( 1 long, 1 short blink)

Arizoni,
thank you for sharing that wonderful wealth of knowledge. I am really heartened that it might not be anything serious. To me, the bike started up just fine from the cold and ran fine without an issue. None of the above are engine-threatening.

On a positive note, the seller still has the bike available, lowered the price and is half-way to getting a CA registration. He has to show the bike to the local constabulary
and then get back to the DMV for the final blessings. Said it was likely to be a straightforward affair, and i believe him.

On the subject of the MIL light, Jess and I are in a bit of a quandry as to how to proceed with the seller. I talked to him just a couple hours ago and while he is eager to do the deal, he does not want to take the trouble of taking the bike to the dealer. And i can understand why. The nearest dealer from where he lives is almost 300 miles away in Portland/Salem area.

I proposed to him that i am willing to pay for the diagnostics at an RE shop, with the caveat that if it is anything major, the deal is off. However, he still does not bite.

Seeing that the enfield does not work with a code reader, and reading your excellent surmise on the plausible causes for the MIL, i am inclined to simply try reading the codes per your recommendation and if it is any one of the above 5 codes, then great, i can repair it at my leisure, if it is something else altogether, then perhaps i'll pause and re-think this whole situation.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. I do hope everything works out in our favor.

CelaRose @---}-----

celarose

• Scooter
Reply #48 on: August 17, 2011, 02:56:03 am

Arizoni,
thank you for sharing that wonderful wealth of knowledge. I am really heartened that it might not be anything serious. To me, the bike started up just fine from the cold and ran fine without an issue. None of the above are engine-threatening.

On a positive note, the seller still has the bike available, lowered the price and is half-way to getting a CA registration. He has to show the bike to the local constabulary
and then get back to the DMV for the final blessings. Said it was likely to be a straightforward affair, and i believe him.

On the subject of the MIL light, Jess and I are in a bit of a quandry as to how to proceed with the seller. I talked to him just a couple hours ago and while he is eager to do the deal, he does not want to take the trouble of taking the bike to the dealer. And i can understand why. The nearest dealer from where he lives is almost 300 miles away in Portland/Salem area.

I proposed to him that i am willing to pay for the diagnostics at an RE shop, with the caveat that if it is anything major, the deal is off. However, he still does not bite.

Seeing that the enfield does not work with a code reader, and reading your excellent surmise on the plausible causes for the MIL, i am inclined to simply try reading the codes per your recommendation and if it is any one of the above 5 codes, then great, i can repair it at my leisure, if it is something else altogether, then perhaps i'll pause and re-think this whole situation.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. I do hope everything works out in our favor.

CelaRose @---}-----

celarose

• Scooter
Reply #49 on: August 17, 2011, 03:01:14 am

I think it was right to walk away. It was probably only a loose connector, but I´d get suspicious why the seller didn´t check it himself. At best there´s the assumption is that he doesn´t care much. And I wouldn´t like to buy a bike from someone who doesn´t care much.
Well, never be in a hurry when you buy a used vehicle! Good luck!
Maturin

Maturin
I share your view that if the owner of such a niche,  cult-following bike does not care much, that it is not deserving. However, i have reason to believe that he is in the midst of a lot of things that make him want to simply get rid of it. He is getting married soon, is a bit underemployed etc. he is basically an honest type, but he seems to be definitely done with motorcycles in general. Does not even know much about the RE cult....   
Sometimes, some bikes need to be rescued from their owners ;-)

Shridhar
CelaRose @---}-----

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: August 17, 2011, 03:15:47 am
The problem someone is going to have is the MIL light being lit.

If California is anything like Arizona they will not allow the bike to be registered and new license plates issued while a "Check Engine" light is on.

I suppose someone could remove the bulb and it is doubtful that the inspectors would know that the bulb is supposed to be lit for a few seconds prior to starting the bike.

As for the codes, it he owner can find the connector I mentioned he can "ground it out" and read the number and type of flashes and then tell you what they are over the phone.

I think you said it was a 2009 G5?  If so the connector is on the right side of the bike just below the seat and tucked in behind the right side air filter cover.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

celarose

• Scooter
Reply #51 on: August 17, 2011, 03:39:56 am
The problem someone is going to have is the MIL light being lit.

If California is anything like Arizona they will not allow the bike to be registered and new license plates issued while a "Check Engine" light is on.

Oh no!! I did not think of that!

gotta run now, but i'll get back to you on this..
CelaRose @---}-----

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #52 on: August 17, 2011, 06:08:56 am
I owned two bikes when I lived in Ca.  I bought them new at the dealer but never had to get any kind of inspection, certainly not with the engine running.  I don't think Ca inspects bikes.  The only thing you might have to do is bring it to the DMV for a VIN inspection.

Scott

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: August 17, 2011, 06:47:32 am
Let me know when you are going back up there. I would be happy to go along and give you my "expert" opinion. I just had my first experience with the MIL, aka check engine light. It sounds like a good deal as long as you can register it here.

Dan

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: August 17, 2011, 06:57:21 am
Scotty:  I can't speak for California but if I am buying a New or Used bike from a dealer the dealer takes care of all of the paperwork and State requirements.

If I'm buying from a private person I have to do all of the legwork to get the title and registration transferred to me and a part of that is to run the vehicle thru the emissions testing station.

Depending on the year that testing may be as simple as them looking at the MIL or engine check light.  It might involve them hooking their OBD II testing computer or with many older cars I will have to run it on their rollers for a full house sniff test.

When they first started this back in the late 60's the idiots actually required motorcycles to be ridden up to 40 mph with the rear wheel on the roller and the front wheel just sitting stationary on the concrete.
Unlike the test RE uses at their factory to ride the bike on two sets of rollers, having the front wheel stationary and the rear wheel running at 40 mph is like doing a burn in at a drag strip.  Not something I recommend for a first time rider.  :D

I don't know if someone got hurt or not but after a year of that crap they decided just an idle sniff test would be good enough for bikes. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #55 on: August 17, 2011, 08:36:52 am
celarose,

Some other points to consider;

The cost of even the most expensive Bullet is cheap as chips when divided by the number of days you expect to live  ;)

Riding instead of driving whenever practical saves a lot of gasoline money.
Do the math for your application and usage. For me it was over $3,000 saved last year.

The Bullet was bred and born to win enduro races and did well in road raceing "back in the day".
With just a change of tires they are still a competent machines in both areas ;) 8)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:40:16 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #56 on: August 17, 2011, 03:23:08 pm
No emissions checks or inspection here in Oregon, same in Cali at least when I lived there.  I know not all states are like that.  I think the reasoning is that there are so few bikes that get ridden so few miles compared to care so it's not worth worrying about.

Scott

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: August 17, 2011, 03:52:29 pm
I sent them a pm. When I brought in an out of state bike the only thing the inspector looked at was the vin and the "smog sticker". She didn't look at hose routing or muffler and there was no sniffer. The problem I see is there will be no CA smog sticker as 09s were not CA compliant. There may be an exemption possible but that is up to the local DMV official and they make up the rules as they go. I. wouldn't give a dime for it until that issue is resolved. The MIL is a non-issue.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #58 on: August 17, 2011, 04:55:03 pm
Last I was there you could bring in a non-Cali compliant vehicle if it had over 7500 miles.  I think you need to pay an extra fee.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: August 17, 2011, 05:23:38 pm
I think there was a $300 fee several years ago but it was revoked and the people who paid it got their money back. AFAIK, there is no smog check requirements on motorcycles.
The 7000 mile rule is still in place, though. But the current owner can take care of that as he gets it registered, then he can sign it over to you and there shouldn't be any issue with it at all. Most motorcycles don't have a check engine light, per se, (boy, will I get reamed on this comment)and I've never had any issue with DMV ever looking for anything like that. Even if they were, unplugging it would certainly be an option.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: August 17, 2011, 06:22:34 pm
They will not check the engine light. My Iron Barrel does not even have an engine light.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #61 on: August 18, 2011, 12:21:39 am
After doing some digging into California registration requirements I found this handy source of information:
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

I notice it says "If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-State vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered. "

To me that says the original owner MUST register the bike using his out of state registration and his proof of California residency  to make it legal in California.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: August 18, 2011, 01:04:53 pm
That sounds like the answer they are looking for.

srileo

• Scooter
Reply #63 on: August 19, 2011, 09:09:04 pm
After doing some digging into California registration requirements I found this handy source of information:
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

I notice it says "If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-State vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered. "

To me that says the original owner MUST register the bike using his out of state registration and his proof of California residency  to make it legal in California.

Arizoni,
thank you for looking it up for us!! I conveyed this to the seller, and he is hopefully working on getting it registered. Will keep you guys updated. Thank you all so much for your assistance in this matter.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: August 19, 2011, 09:24:06 pm
Where in NorCal are you. I and olhogrider have gone out for a ride once, and will do so again. It would be nice to add to the group..

srileo

• Scooter
Reply #65 on: August 23, 2011, 12:55:51 am
We are in SF. Would love to form a Bullet Brigade ;-)
I ride a vStrom and we are hoping Jess gets her G5 soon, like maybe this weekend itself.

Where in NorCal are you. I and olhogrider have gone out for a ride once, and will do so again. It would be nice to add to the group..

srileo

• Scooter
Reply #66 on: August 23, 2011, 12:59:14 am
So the seller got back in touch with me and said that he had the police verification done successfully. The next step is to take the verification docs to the DMV for the fina yea-nay.
However, the cop apparently told the seller that he *might* have difficulty registering it with the DMV because of the check engine light. This finally seems to have woken him up and he is thinking about addressing the issue.
He is going to the DMV shortly and hoping to get a final answer from them. So we can all see if Arizoni's research is right shortly :-)

Hang on for a few days more to the end of the drama or the start of a new one...

Thank you all for the inputs and kindly help.