Author Topic: Installed softer rear springs,What a difference!  (Read 3586 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
on: March 04, 2008, 11:35:02 pm
Now have 5/8 inch of sag on the lowest setting, to none on the highest. I also installed the cmw covers since I had them apart, and they look great.  The forks are pretty tolerable for the time being, but I know its just a matter of time.  Not too bad a job, had to make some fixtures and a real thin 1.125 inch endwrench to avoid scraping up the painted top covers on reassembly. What a ride. Now ,I have a motorcycle!  I can't believe I rode that thing so long with those truck springs.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 12:58:17 pm
Cy -

Are you Classic/Delux or Electra?  I'm sorta scrawny, and find the stock springs on my Classic are a little harsh...

Tough job?

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 01:17:39 pm
I'm interested too. I have an Electra and since I only weigh 140, it feels like I'm riding a hardtail. The springs on my solo seat are about the only real suspension I have in the back. Forks seem OK.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 10:17:03 pm
mbevo1, It's a classic E. Here's a shot of the low setting(5/8sag) and one with 140 lbs .  Your going to need a press of some sort, A 2 inch hole in something 1/2 inch thick (your choice) and a little vee block thing for the press ram as it pushes down on the bottom eye. That reveals 1.125 inch flats under the washer and top eye.It is just a jamb nut for the threaded top eye. Be careful ,those orig. springs are brutal. When I had pushed enough to see the jamb nut ,i safety wired a long 3/8 bolt through the bottom eye to holes ion either side the 2 inch hole. I used a piece of 1/2 micarta.

[old attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 10:18:55 pm by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 12:57:58 am
Thanks! 

Sounds like we weigh about the same... it can be pretty jarring with the stock springs - even on the lowest setting.

Don't know if I'll get to it soon, but the roads in West Michigan are destroyed... hope the hot-patch boys get busy so's I don't get my fillings knocked on my first ride into work this spring!

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan

'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 01:43:17 am
so's I don't get my fillings knocked on my first ride into work this spring!
   :D

well they are a very nimble machine  .. i can see U nOw quick movements  at the last moment..   :o ;D