Author Topic: A "duh" Moment  (Read 2319 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
on: July 14, 2011, 06:57:57 pm
Today I had a "duh" moment.  I get them occasionally but if it is not life threatening I let them go.

I figured I would do something with this one by telling a little about it, mainly for the new owners of the UCE bikes.

I decided to take a 8 mile ride this morning to a big mall.  They have a large covered garage which is multi-layered and can hold hundreds of cars.  They were also thoughtful enough to have a special place for motorcycles on the ground floor so I headed for it.
Some boob had left a shopping cart in the one motorcycle place so, in the darkness of the garage I came to a stop and looked down at the casquette to check for the neutral indicator light and there, glowing brightly in red letters was the "Royal Enfield" light.

So far, I've done all of my riding in the daytime on bright sunny days so I must admit I never noticed it before and my first thoughts were, "OK, What the hell is that red light glowing at me for?  I wonder if it is trying to tell me something is wrong?  They wouldn't have made it red if it was just a light to light up the motorcycles name."  ??? ???

With these thoughts in mind I shut the bike off, lowered the sidestand,  moved the cart and pushed the bike into the parking place.

After doing a little shopping I came back to the bike and turned the key on.  The fuel level, engine light and "Royal Enfield" light glowed for a moment with the first two going out as usual.  Hitting the starter button it roared to life so I started riding home all the while thinking, "Don't fail me now."

A few days ago, I removed the jumper harness in the casquette.   As many of you know, this jumper bypasses the headlight switch and it keeps the headlight on at all times.  Removing the jumper and connecting the remaining ends of the wiring harness allows the headlight switch to actually work, so when I got home and was parking the bike I switched the headlight off by using my 'now working' switch while the engine was still running.  Suddenly I noticed, no Royal Enfield light!

Switching the headlight switch back on..... Royal Enfield glared at me.

Duh!   :-[ :-[ The glowing red Royal Enfield is just a part of the dash lights!    :D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:33:24 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 07:06:37 pm
Nice observation Jim!  I've been scratching my head on that one as well...
Chris

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 07:59:42 pm
I saw it on the day one, loved it at night glowing up the cluster.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 05:14:44 am
Yeah, I felt warm and fuzzy when I saw the red/orange Royal Enfield glowing in the dark the first time the C5 got ridden at night.  Kinda cool, doncha think?
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 05:33:36 am
Yah it's cool after you know what it is.   :D :D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 08:05:28 am
I like that cosy red RE glow.  :)
  I often glance down at it at dusk or when I run through a shaded area -
  that moment of whimsical inattention may one day be the undoing of me.....   :o ???
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 06:47:31 pm
I mentioned to Kevin that in my business a red light means something bad is happening. I am used to it now but while my RE is in the shop I am riding the '83 Suzuki. It has a BRIGHT red digital gear indicator. I had forgotten about that. Now I am trying to get used to that!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 11:39:03 pm
I like it, it looks very cool backlit like that BUT I agree that red lights on any dashboard should only be used when something bad is happening.  Pick another color next time.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 11:50:24 pm
Green would be good.

To me it means everything is a GO.  ;D

If RE wants to know what to do with the red cellophane they have left over they can put it into the trafficator indicator light hole so it will catch my eye after I've completed the turn.  :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 11:52:08 pm
Isn't red the classic color of the Royal Enfield logo?  I think it looks great!
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 12:04:54 am
Yes, and I think it looks great too, lit or unlit.  But sometimes when I catch it out of the corner of my eye I think, "Oh crap!"

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 04:46:28 am
Isn't red the classic color of the Royal Enfield logo?  I think it looks great!
Yes, but Royal Enfield doesn't look bad and many of the old Royal Enfields were painted green.  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe