Author Topic: New Enfield website  (Read 6064 times)

monkey

• Scooter
on: July 12, 2011, 09:05:07 pm
Yes, I posted this in general news as well, but in case anyone isn't looking there, it seems that www.royalenfield.com received a major overhaul last night.

It looks great, and is rife with pics of the bikes we all know, love and covet.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 09:10:53 pm
Yes, the pictures are right there.  That's nice.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 09:41:25 pm
Even have job openings!

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 11:52:24 pm
looks messed up for me. Just a mostly black screen with a rolling news bar and a few links... fire your web developer! :)

monkey

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 06:39:18 am
yeah, the first time I checked it, the home page had no image, but the second time I opened it, it loaded, so not sure what's going on there.

There's also a few dead links sprinkled throughout.

To the folks at RE: I'll gladly trade some web consulting for some accessories!  ;D

chukzelda

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 11:23:39 am
As a classic bullet owner, I appreciate the price point these were sold at.  I'm not so happy with the new price point of the UCE bikes (not trying to start an argument here).  Does anyone know if the 350 will be imported as an entry level (price point) bike in the U.S.?

Thanks
Chuk

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 03:09:06 pm
The factory tells me that the site is not complete and this is a beta version. They hope to be finished by the 15th. At present we don't think the 350 in it's Indian market version  will meet US emission standards. If they upgrade to a closed loop system with a catalytic converter the price will go up. The converter is probably the single most expensive single part on the bike by hundreds of dollars.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 03:35:19 pm
As a classic bullet owner, I appreciate the price point these were sold at.  I'm not so happy with the new price point of the UCE bikes (not trying to start an argument here).  Does anyone know if the 350 will be imported as an entry level (price point) bike in the U.S.?

Thanks
Chuk

Seems to me the $5495 msrp of the B5 is a pretty competitive entry level price.  I wouldn't expect a 350 to cost any less than a 500.  Their cost to build the bike is going to be pretty much the same.  The reasons to get the 350, in my mind, would be a somewhat less stressed motor, and potentially better fuel economy.

I paid $5000 for my iron barrel 500 - an all new motor and disc brake up front seems pretty worth it to me - not that I'd consider getting rid of my iron barrel!

Eamon
Eamon

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 05:52:27 pm
The factory tells me that the site is not complete and this is a beta version. They hope to be finished by the 15th. At present we don't think the 350 in it's Indian market version  will meet US emission standards. If they upgrade to a closed loop system with a catalytic converter the price will go up. The converter is probably the single most expensive single part on the bike by hundreds of dollars.

Thats true. A year ago when I tried hard to get a export setup, I was given the same answer although legally they could not even provide anyone in India the export variant.

Catalytic converter is the most expensive part then the ECU and O2.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 09:07:40 pm
In this market I think the Denso starter motor is number two on the hit parade of expensive parts. I think they use a domestic manufacturer for Indian market bikes.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 12:24:41 pm

Catalytic converter is the most expensive part .....

.....and is seldom found on the bike once out of the showroom. My cat is in the box...:P

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 04:41:12 pm
.....and is seldom found on the bike once out of the showroom. My cat is in the box...:P

How would your cat respond to alcohol?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 06:06:04 pm
I wouldn't expect a 350 to cost any less than a 500.  Their cost to build the bike is going to be pretty much the same.  The reasons to get the 350, in my mind, would be a somewhat less stressed motor, and potentially better fuel economy.

Mostly true.  Even with less displacement the motor has the same number of parts, same assembly cost.  I believe the 350s are carbureted and that can lower the price a bit.  No EFI and a simpler ECU since it's only really managing ignition and not the fuel system.  This is the reason the US Ninja 250 has a carb and the rest of the workd gets EFI, they're kleeping the US price point fo the 250 below $5000.  The 350 may have narrower wheels and tires which can also help a little.  The rest of the bike is pretty much same-same as the 500.

As to fuel economy, I hear the UCE is pretty close to the 350 so the diference there is negligible.

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 05:17:17 am
...  The reasons to get the 350, in my mind, would be a somewhat less stressed motor, and potentially better fuel economy....
The motor would probably be more stressed in most places in the USA what with all our highways and freeways.  But for city stuff and weekend relaxed rides, yeah, I wouldn't mind having one of that size.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 03:56:30 pm
How would your cat respond to alcohol?

That, i'd never know, but I can bet mine is way less polluting than most others. Whats the status on your bike. I got the LED stuff in the mail. Will put it on this weekend. Should plan a ride soon.