Author Topic: TAC ads - too much?  (Read 1293 times)

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 12, 2011, 11:14:31 am
I was looking for something else on Youtube and came across this series of motorcycle safety ads.  Like a bad wreck (literally) I couldn't look away.  I feel like I got caught speeding, sent to traffic school, and they did a clockwork orange routine on my eyes while I watched these.  Without the soothing benefit of Beethoven's 9th.

Here's a tame one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRpNirJfuzs&feature=relmfu

Watch the others at your own risk.  What do you reckon?  Too much?  Or required viewing?

2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 12:55:09 pm
Holy Shit! That's horrible!
BUT  -  they only showed really dumb-ass idiot riding.
Apart from dumb-ass riding, the most dangerous thing about riding a motorbike is incompetent car/van drivers.
I did a 200 mile bike trip yesterday (not on the RE) and yet again confirmed my certainty that at least (this is a very conservative estimate) fifty percent of drivers are incompetent and just should not be behind a wheel. Fearful, confused, inadequately trained, poor to non-existent judgement of speed & distance, dangerously slow reaction times, ignorance of the most basic traffic rules, particularly at junctions and most particularly at roundabouts, and plain inattention to anything other than the next twenty yards of road - less if they happen to be on the phone, checking their hair in the mirror, or reading!
And this isn't including the out & out reckless idiot bastards who just don't give a shit about the rules or anyone else on the road. They've always been there, and watch out!
But these others, more & more joining all the time, are way more dangerous in my opinion. They get in a car, and they think everyone else on the road will make allowances for their incompetence.
Not everyone is suited to driving. Everyone's allowed to do it with the most minimal and insufficient training.
Ride like you're among unpredictable half-wits with weapons who want you dead. You wont be far from the truth.

Rant over.... >:(

sorry to hi-jack, Andy - one of those moments ....
and thanks for the link  - painful to watch, but it's as well to get these reminders....
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 02:21:09 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 01:18:57 pm
This one WILL slow you down.
Whatever you're driving.
  (you'll need a kleenex for this one.....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8&feature=autoplay&list=SP69602FD8D7631429&index=2&playnext=2
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:30:09 pm by WillW »

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 01:33:27 pm
BUT  -  they only showed really dumb-ass idiot riding.
Apart from dumb-ass riding, the most dangerous thing about riding a motorbike is incompetent car/van drivers.

You'll find another amateur video on there called "The Ad They Should Have Made" which makes just that point.  It uses all the same scenes.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 02:24:41 pm
Yep  -  saw it. Defensive riding is the way..

large calibre hand gun in a tank holster for back up.... ;)

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 02:52:13 pm
Aha!  Found the video I was looking for.  Graphic without the bloodshed, to the point, and from the mouth of an expert.  Brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw&feature=related

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 03:00:19 pm
  Didn't watch all of them..some real, some probably choreographed.  Yup semi-Clockwork Orange or possibly Reefer Madness.  We all know the risks, might be good to show some of the less graphic ones' to newbies wanting to get a bike.  Just so they know what they are up against.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.