Author Topic: C5 computer on G5?  (Read 3603 times)

greggers

• Bulleteer
on: July 12, 2011, 05:54:16 am
I noticed when I was changing the seat, there is a small electric box right under the seat, I think its the computer or something like that? I have a G5 but there's a green sticker on it that says "C5 Export". Anyone know what's up with that? Interchangeable parts?

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 06:15:48 am
Heh, it must mean that your G5 just went up in value.   ;)
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 06:16:13 am
It's the computer and the export models are the only ones with a O2 sensor so that computer  is made to be used with one.

From my readings on the Indian web site that talks a lot about Enfields I've gathered that the non-export computer has had problems when at high altitudes.  RE recently "fixed" the program for the new deliveries but they aren't reprogramming the Indian bikes nor are they offering to replace the older computers.

More than one of those guys are a bit pi$$ed because they want the new program.

If our "export" computer has a problem with high altitudes I haven't heard about it and I know of several RE UCE bikes that have been used for road trips from our elevation of 1100 feet to over 8000 feet without a problem.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 07:31:34 am
Considering RE India just put on a trip through the Himalayas, you'd think they would make sure elevation wasn't a problem. I would imagine they were generally at between 4000 and 5000 meters for much of the trip, pushing the high side of 5000 in the passes

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 08:10:14 am
My understanding is the Indian domestic models do not have the O2 sensor (cost cutting measure) and as a result they run way too rich at very high altitudes and foul plugs.

Apparently one proposed solution is to reintroduce a carburetor version of the UCE for the domestic market.

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 08:41:11 am
Problem is not at high altitude but cold weather and generally on start up in North(plains) part of India. It runs rich for 3-5 minutes and people don't tend to warm up and do short runs which soot the plugs enough to foul the plugs.

They have not remapped the existing ones but have swapped few remapped ECU's to very pissed of customers under warranty. Neither have they started putting the new remapped ECU's into production for domestic C5.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 08:50:34 am
Last time I checked the Indian domestic UCE 350 was carburetted while the 500 was EFI
No matter where you go, there, you are.

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 08:55:55 am
Last time I checked the Indian domestic UCE 350 was carburetted while the 500 was EFI

It's still the same.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 09:09:42 am
This is India.  A few of those people know how to program computers.  Sooner or later someone will crack the code and start reprogramming the ECUs for a nominal fee.  The Ducati ECUs were the same way, supposedly unprogrammable.  Recently some company cracked the code and can now disable the problematic immobilizer and remap the EFI, all on a stock ECU. 

Does anyone know if the Indian ECU uses an atmospheric pressure sensor?  The US model doesn't seem to have one but we have other sensors.  I've never seen motorcycle EFI that had no O2 and no pressure sensor.  With a pressure sensor you can compensate for altitude.

Scott

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 09:47:11 am

Does anyone know if the Indian ECU uses an atmospheric pressure sensor?  The US model doesn't seem to have one but we have other sensors.  I've never seen motorcycle EFI that had no O2 and no pressure sensor.  With a pressure sensor you can compensate for altitude.

Scott

Yup, we have MAP or atmospheric pressure sensor. But are you sure you guys dont have it on yours? It sits just above the Throttle body. I am sure you have one.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 04:08:27 pm
We have a MAP sensor.  I'm talking about a pressure sensor outside the intake path to read just atmospheric pressure.

Scott

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 04:11:27 pm
C5 and G5 ECU's are the same in the export markets. Indian models are NOT the same and cannot be used with good result in the US. Someone will "crack the code" on them sooner or later. We do have a MAP sensor.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 09:04:16 pm
We have a MAP sensor.  I'm talking about a pressure sensor outside the intake path to read just atmospheric pressure.

Scott

On C5 the MAP sensor and the atmospheric pressure sensor is the same thing with different names. It is so because when density of air changes so does the pressure so no need for a atmospheric pressure sensor for outside.

MAP on our is actually not in direct path of intake as it is in cars with MAF.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:08:28 pm by SSR »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 09:15:04 pm
That makes sense, you could totally use it that way.  Thanks for calrifying. 

I guess I'm just confused because my last bike had No O2 sensor and the pressure sensor sat right up behind the headlight.  At least I think that's what that one was.

Scott

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 10:37:56 pm
Not all EFI bikes are closed loop, especially early ones
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com