Author Topic: C vs G trying to deside  (Read 4172 times)

iowarider

• Bulleteer
on: July 12, 2011, 05:35:28 am
Other than style does one bike ride or work better than the other. I personally like the G5 simply because of the fork gators. Some reason that model, as they say, speaks to me. I am also pretty pragmatic about most decisions, Not enough money to make a bad one. From reading this forum and reviews, they seem like the same bike with a bit different sheet metal. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something. I do want to commute with it as well as weekend fun. I would be traveling about 40 miles each way. mostly 60 -65 MPH. Any thoughts.

Oh and after this I may start a topic on politics and the best church to go to.  ::)
82, Honda CX500
82  Honda GL500
2004 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 06:02:11 am
I think the frames are a bit different and the C handles a bit more nimbly than the G because of the steering geometry and the 18" rims vs the 19" rims on the G.
That makes the G5 more stable when riding at freeway speeds.

I haven't run my G5 at 65 mph yet but from everything I've read both the C and G are getting into some heavy vibrations at that speed.  (These bikes take about 1000 miles of break in before they should be ridden above 60 mph).

The C comes with a 18 tooth secondary drive (main chain to wheel) sprocket to spin the smaller 18 inch wheels a bit faster to make up for their smaller size while the G comes with a 17 tooth secondary drive sprocket to work with its 19" wheels.

I mention this because the 18 tooth sprocket is about at the max size for the housing on the engine.
That means you could change the G5's sprocket to a 18 tooth size to keep the engines speed down a bit at 60-65 mph.  This might help to reduce the vibrations of the G5 at those speeds.

The C5's use of a maximum diameter secondary sprocket means the only way to change the engine speed at 60-65 would be to change the rear wheel to one from a G5.

Of course all of the above is just my opinion and its worth every cent of what it cost.   ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 06:08:00 am
If it was me, I say try a B.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 07:33:35 am
You've already said it yourself  - "Some reason that model, as they say, speaks to me"
I regularly ride my G5 at 60-65mph, and there is no excessive vibration. Get it up to 75-80 and you'll start to notice it.....
An 18 t front sprocket will reduce rpm at sustained highway speeds, but for me spoils the bike for ordinary mixed riding.
You will notice a BIG difference in smoothness & performance once the bike is broken in. This improvement continues to at least 1000 miles.
If you go for the G5 (look at it - is there really a choice.... ;)) you'd be well advised to dump the Avon Skidmeisters and switch to RoadRiders for greatly improved handling & safety.
A less restrictive exhaust after the bike's broken in will make the bike noticeably perkier too.

As to politics and churches of any kind  -  avoid like the plague my son........
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 09:13:53 am
I'm happy with my C.  I'd probably be just as happy, perhaps even more but certainly not less, with a G or B.

And the only thing I know about politics is this:  Democracy is the subtle art of promising the poor you'll make changes and convincing the rich you won't. 

I haven't met God yet - no opinion.
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 09:45:14 am
"I haven't met God yet ...."

how do you know....?  ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 11:52:06 am

how do you know....?  ;)
I hear he checks this forum quite often.
C- sportier handling, solo seat
G- quicker acceleration, chrome hotdog holders
B- cheaper

iowarider

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 03:00:09 pm
And the only thing I know about politics is this:  Democracy is the subtle art of promising the poor you'll make changes and convincing the rich you won't.

That my friend sums it up the best I have heard. I like that so much I think I will steal it. with permission of course.
82, Honda CX500
82  Honda GL500

iowarider

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 03:05:38 pm
I hear he checks this forum quite often.
C- sportier handling, solo seat
G- quicker acceleration, chrome hotdog holders
B- cheaper

Chrome Hotdog Holders ?
82, Honda CX500
82  Honda GL500

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 03:36:11 pm
Don't need my permission.  I stole it some damn place.   8)
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 03:42:33 pm

how do you know....?  ;)

Never met George Burns or Morgan Freeman.

Me, I'd get a B, then a G.  The aesthetics of the C just don't do it for me, and the B and G just seem like more of a blank slate to work with if you want to take the bike in a particular direction.

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 03:50:57 pm
Chrome Hotdog Holders ?

The little chrome oval shaped things towards the rear of the frame on a G5. One is a toolbox, the other is just there to match.

On a side note, does anyone know if the main frame on all these bikes is the same? Clearly the sub frame on the back and the fork assembly up front are different, but to my eye the base frame is the same.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 03:54:09 pm
   Arizoni has summed it up quite nicely
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 08:50:00 pm
I think the G has 3 degrees more rake thereby making it a bit slower handling. But it's certainly no slug in the handling department, but it does tend to push the front end a bit.
On the other hand it is very stable on all types of road surfaces. It started as the Electra frame.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

iowarider

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 05:38:56 am
The little chrome oval shaped things towards the rear of the frame on a G5. One is a toolbox, the other is just there to match.

On a side note, does anyone know if the main frame on all these bikes is the same? Clearly the sub frame on the back and the fork assembly up front are different, but to my eye the base frame is the same.

I finally figured that out late last night. Thought that was what you were talking about. No if we can figure a way to get some heat to em. Hot dogs to go.
82, Honda CX500
82  Honda GL500