Author Topic: Bike just caught on FIRE!!!!!  (Read 5183 times)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 12:22:12 am
glad u okay...I'm not surprise to hear about it happening...not like we haven't suggested that enfield increase the size of their wiring and re enforce problem area of wear....for a second i had a vision of you becoming Nicholas cage in ghost rider  and on fire hauling ass on your enfield....
Oh Magoo you done it again

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 09:05:27 pm
say mikey.. keep us posted on the sr500 project. love those thumpers.             
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

DaveT

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 11:38:38 pm
I took a day over the christmas break to try & "proof" my wiring throughout the bike (C5). Went over most of the snap connectors with large bore heat shrink, removed the fuel tank & tidied/re-routed some of the injector wiring (it aill tucks up under the tank a lot neater, but not invisible...with a little fiddling !!)  & covered the main loom in bicycle inner tube/zip ties where it exits the tank front & goes into "headlight spaghetti world !" , tightened up the mess behind the headlight bowl with a few additional ties & lined the bowl with high dense foam padding. It's an a*se of a job to do thoroughly & WHY should we have to doing this on new bikes....but a bit of prevention is better than a short somewhere.......

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 12:14:31 am
My dealer does a mini rewire on every RE, Vespa, Genuine Stella, and Buddy scooter that goes out the door.  They're under warranty and you're going to fix it anyway, may as well do it while the bike is fresh and new and before you have to go pick your customer up on the side of the road.

I don't think all dealers do this kind of preventative prep but more should.  Many bikes have poorly routed wiring and hoses. 

Oh, they also put a little plastic guard on the edge of the C5/B5 battery box where the edge passes (and often rubs) the fuel line. 

Scott