Author Topic: Close Call !  (Read 3720 times)

Rick O'Shea

• Grease Monkey
on: July 10, 2011, 02:15:35 am
Almost sold the Sixty-5. Been thinking about a change, Left it in the shop for a couple of weeks, then walked in on it today. One look at that bike and I wondered WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING........? IT sort of went like this   >:( >:( >:( :( :( :-\ :-\ ??? :o :) :D ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 02:19:04 am by Rick O'Shea »
REA member #161 was riding a 2004 Sixty-5. Now riding a 2022 Interceptor

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 03:02:27 am
Glad you got that decided.

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 03:28:30 am
Rick, It would not be the same without you
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

Rick O'Shea

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 03:51:55 am
It's strange how that bikes grown on me. I know it's limited in it's performance and application but it seems the concessions I've had to make have been for the best, wheather I realized it at the time or not. I've had to slow down, think about what I am doing and how it affects the bike, understand more about the scope of the ride than just mash a button, twist and go. It sort of reminds me of the '69 BSA I had in my 20's, or the '66 VW I had in my teens, or the '64 Hughes 269B I flew for 10 years.......You gotta be a part of it or it'll bite ya on the ass. I think I need that; sorta keeps me in check............Joe
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 04:54:09 am by Rick O'Shea »

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 04:26:22 pm
Rick,what you just wrote is true for me also.Jolly reminds me of my BSA 441 and a little of my SR500.They were both better bikes in ways but now I have the Bullet,and it does suit me.I can't quite define it but the damned thing just fills some kinda gap for me.When I think about the cornering speeds I used to enjoy,it is really another lifetime.I never rode really fast,just didn't slow down.75 mph on Jolly feels like 100 on these little narrow roads out here and I rarely do it.When I get the urge to fly I usually think about the fact that I mite blow Jolly up and would then be deprived of one of my main pleasures,and for no telling how long.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 09:23:12 pm
This bike just make me smile every time I get on it. It's just right on all kinds of levels. I've had a lot of bikes that, "I'm having a great time riding a Motorcycle" but it doesn't get a direct connection, it's just a bike. There are very few that have really tugged at my emotions. My ThunderAce was one of those. It just talked to me. My BSA B50MX was one, My Bultaco Pursang did. The old 250 Matchless was another.
Some of them you just get to be one with. The Bullet is one of them.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 03:32:48 am
[img]
Rick,what you just wrote is true for me also.Jolly reminds me of my BSA 441 and a little of my SR500.They were both better bikes in ways but now I have the Bullet,and it does suit me.I can't quite define it but the damned thing just fills some kinda gap for me.When I think about the cornering speeds I used to enjoy,it is really another lifetime.I never rode really fast,just didn't slow down.75 mph on Jolly feels like 100 on these little narrow roads out here and I rarely do it.When I get the urge to fly I usually think about the fact that I mite blow Jolly up and would then be deprived of one of my main pleasures,and for no telling how long.

Ditto! ;D I would love to have another Honda CB-450 set up the way I had mine back in the '70s.   :'( I rode that old bike all over the south. It was a good cruiser (remember the speed limit on the interstates was only fifty-five) The 450 could cruise all day at seventy, but looking so much like a police bike,  8) I was rarely crowded or hassled at 55 - 60. ::)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:22:43 am by RBHoge »
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 04:43:06 am
Say,there is the answer to the interstate speed problem.Just take it back to 55 and we can cruise with the best of 'em.The controlers are working on it here in Missouri,they dropped the limit back to 65 from 70.

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 05:01:59 am
Back on Craigslist?
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Rick O'Shea

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 01:41:09 am
Yea, she's gotta go. Hate it but times are tight and getting tighter. Anyone interested, send a PM

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 03:00:33 am
Yea, she's gotta go. Hate it but times are tight and getting tighter. Anyone interested, send a PM

It's a shame what's happening to people in this country. 4 years ago everything was great, now it's a struggle. I know what you are going through. :'(
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 05:54:38 am
It's strange how that bikes grown on me. I know it's limited in it's performance and application but it seems the concessions I've had to make have been for the best, wheather I realized it at the time or not. I've had to slow down, think about what I am doing and how it affects the bike, understand more about the scope of the ride than just mash a button, twist and go. It sort of reminds me of the '69 BSA I had in my 20's, or the '66 VW I had in my teens, or the '64 Hughes 269B I flew for 10 years.......You gotta be a part of it or it'll bite ya on the ass. I think I need that; sorta keeps me in check............Joe

This little aviation clip about the advantages of radial engines over turbines explains all ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkcX0KGIBwk

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 03:17:34 pm
I be a little concern if Green Machine started and exhausted smoke like in the vid ;D..  It does appears to be normal for non radial plane....A friend flys and wants to take me up....He had a problem about 8 months ago when trying to fly over the Appalachians towards Luray Va., the carb started to ice up and engine kept  sputtering....He had to turn back, lower altitude and scared him enough to land at the nearest small airport...after a hour or so on the ground and a cup of coffee, he flew home to his home airport and called it a day.......My understanding is it can be a summer day and u can still get icing..guess his deicing heater might had been on the fritz that day....Still haven't gone up with him...Maybe Green Machine thump will suffice for now...My understanding is that as long as u have alttude u can normally get into a small airport if u r experencing problems....I guess u coud land on a two land road if necessary or any flat arear with a bit of length.... ???  At least u have time to digest the situation and get on the horn and see where u can put down in relative safety vice laying a bike down or flying over the handlebars...Keeping a calm mind and training is the key in these situations.......Thanks for the vid ..
Oh Magoo you done it again

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 03:49:28 pm
Oh God, it's the 21st Century and we are still heating intake air. Oh i feel safe now. ::) ::) ::).

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 03:56:06 pm
yeah i hear ya..but the fuel injected planes are pricey compared to the older versions ....I think u can get your self a small 30 - 40 year old heated intake air plane somewhere in the 30 -40 k market vice 75 k and up ........7 k for a new Enfield is a steal isn't it.......heeeeeeeeee

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 05:17:43 pm
He had a problem about 8 months ago when trying to fly over the Appalachians towards Luray Va., the carb started to ice up and engine kept  sputtering.

Did he even realize at the time that was what was wrong with it? Pulling the carb heat knob should have easily cleared it out. What kind of plane is it?

Radials always tend to smoke a lot on start-up because oil leaks down into the bottom cylinders and is blown out on start up. That's why you see guys running the prop through a few times before they start them is to drain the excess oil out and make sure there's not so much in the combustion chambers that it can hydraulic lock the engine.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 05:34:08 pm
Yeah, love watching the start-up on old P&W powered trainers and such,very primal experience an all.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 10:34:12 pm
Did he even realize at the time that was what was wrong with it? Pulling the carb heat knob should have easily cleared it out. What kind of plane is it?

Radials always tend to smoke a lot on start-up because oil leaks down into the bottom cylinders and is blown out on start up. That's why you see guys running the prop through a few times before they start them is to drain the excess oil out and make sure there's not so much in the combustion chambers that it can hydraulic lock the engine.
Bare

This be very true :D

Check out this clip of a staggerwing that had not been fired up for a few months. Note that the guy said he pulled the prop through about 30 times BEFORE firing it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XVgCqsHi3g

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 11:28:57 pm
don't know what type of plane but he mention that he was pulling that knob in and out quite a bit to keep if from stalling out completely...stated that after he turn around and dropped altitude, the engine started to stabilize...needless to say, he decided to land and check things out and get his nerves settled down.....it my understandng that FAA is  pretty strict on maintenance, etc...but shit happens as they say...rather have my enfiield carb ice up vice in the air but most flyers would beg to differ and probably feel safer up there vice what we have to deal with..

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 12:22:41 am
I have to admit I have crashed more times on bikes than in planes.
bare
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 06:43:49 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 04:25:54 am
GlennF

That was great!  Laughed my A$$ off while it was trying to sputter up to speed!
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary