Author Topic: Rear Brake Help Needed  (Read 13526 times)

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
on: March 03, 2008, 06:44:14 pm
I'm talking about a 2006 65 with 400 miles on it.  I spent time adjusting the front brake so that the twin leading shoe thing would work as it's supposed to.  But the back brake is a mess.

If I literally stand on the rear brake lever I can skid the tire.  But in normal riding and stopping it is almost useless.  Does anyone have any advice or techniques I can use to make the rear brake more of a contributing member of this motorcycle?

Thanks,
Fred
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 09:56:21 pm
Think it's the nature of the beast.  My rear brake sometimes chatters loud at slow speed stopping.  Assuming it's the brake shoe material.

May want to adjust the rear brake foot pedal height a little higher then how it came from the factory.  It helped on mine since my ankles aren't as flexible anymore.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:49:37 am
Actually, I had it adjusted lower to get it out of the way of my foot.  I don't like the idea of my foot resting on the pedal in case the brake light is always on.  I set the pedal back up to the stock position hoping for more braking power.

The rear hub - where I assume the brake shoes are - seems puny.  Not much diameter to it.  If it was bigger the brakes might be better - but it's not so.

Are there any aftermarket shoes that will improve the braking?

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 12:55:58 am
    uh , i adjusted my rear brake light where it doesn't come on when I hit the rear brake.. 
    only  the   front brake activates the light..   :P  hold over from the late 70's I guess..   ;D
    My right foot is artificial and i wear a size 12 so I've set the rear brake pressure to my heel
    which sometimes there might be a little more stomping on than one wants.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 12:59:01 am by scotty »

bobbytthemudman

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 01:34:01 am
 old trick from my racing days, pop out the shoes and sand off the glaze, that helps at least till they glaze over again, which should be a while unless your a hard braker.

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 04:03:53 am
  I don't like the idea of my foot resting on the pedal in case the brake light is always on.  I set the pedal back up to the stock position hoping for more braking power.

My right foot points to the right a few degrees (arthritis) so the raised foot pedal rests on the inside left toe of my shoe while riding.

My rear brake works about as usual for any motorcycle rear drum brake.  Just has low speed chattering noise at times.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 05:18:08 am
The rear shoes need centering as well. Loosen the anchor bolt, it is the nut behind the rod in the slot just forward and below the axle. Have someone stand on the brake pedal...  or I just  put my right foot on the pedal... to center the assembly and then lay over the seat and tighten the anchor bolt. Readjust the rod and you should be OK.
   I found I used to get the chattering when I'd wash it and then put it away...  probably some rust on the inside of the hub. Always go for a ride after washing and stay on the brake to dry it out...   careful; the first time you try to use them they will be very weak.
               - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 03:15:36 pm
Baird 4444 is correct, I originally thought it was dust buildup in the drum, but.....
by having my wife put her enormous weight on the petal, the drum centered .
 :D
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 03:56:26 pm
Baird 4444 is correct,                 but.....by having my wife put her enormous weight on the petal, the drum centered .
 :D
                She helps with maintenance and doesn't read your mail??
                                    sounds like a good one!!
                                                          - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 05:56:03 pm
I would be in deep merde if'n she read my mail. ::)
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 06:21:00 pm
Baird, I'm on my way out to the garage to try this.  I'll let you know how it works for me.  It's got to help - no way these brakes could be worse.

LJRead

Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 06:32:26 pm

Yeah, my rear brake is very spongy too.  If I have it on the center stand and am just trying to check out the slack in it, it seems fine, but in use it is spongy as hell.  I'm wondering:  Once you've taken the slack out of the brake pedal and begun to feel resistance, how much more should it go down to stop?  How much (in other words) 'sponge' should there be?

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 11:58:52 pm
Well, I did what Baird suggested and it did help some.  Still not wonderful.

I'm gonna take the rear hub apart when it gets warmer and clean any glaze off the shoes, maybe file a couple diagonal grooves in them and put the whole thing back together all cleaned and adjusted.  Then if they don't work all that good at least I'll know I did what I could.

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 03:50:48 pm
My rear brake keeps getting better with use. At 350 miles I couldn't slide the rear on gravel, at 3000 miles I can lock it tight on dry pavement. I didn't do anything to it but ride.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 09:27:29 pm
I am assuming these are right side brake pedals with a cross-over?
I find the original left foot rear brake, left side rod really pretty good with only about 950 miles on the clock and done nil to it!
I wonder if there is some torque flex etc in the cross over design?
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin