Author Topic: She Lives!  (Read 1726 times)

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 07, 2011, 04:46:57 am
http://vimeo.com/26094141

Finally got a new battery today. I was dying to get the bike running because it's been in storage for a year and all I could think about was riding. Unfortunately, there was a series of missteps like in a TV show when two people want to have sex but all this weird stuff gets in the way, like a kid pushed all the buttons in the elevator or something.

First, the nuts they gave me for the terminal screws were just a hair too big to fit in the terminal. Not wanting to waste time going to the store, I got out some sandpaper and tried to grind them down. I could get it most of the way in but not all the way. So I went to Home Depot anyway and my wife asked me to bring home ice cream. The person behind the register at Walmart was mind-blowingly slow. Got home and tried to fit the new screws in the dark. Dropped one and never heard it hit the ground. Figured it got caught in the chain, which was confirmed when I tried to roll it forward and it snagged on something invisible. Eventually got the battery installed and turned the key -- LIGHTS!

Then I noticed the screw poking out of the chain and I snared it with the needle nose pliers.

Then it took me like ten minutes to get the damned battery cover latch in and secured.

A quick check of the push rods -- perfect.

Kicked her over eight times to prime the motor. Then three live kicks and no dice. Opened the choke, gave a healthy kick, and -- BASTA! She roared to life like she'd never been asleep.

Ticks over just as evenly and pulls just as hard as the day I garaged her a year ago.

Had a beautiful ride through town and then out to the country. Man I missed her.

Oh, and TWO. BIG. THUMBS. UP. on the 7" preassembled headlight sold by our host. It floods the road and the sides with light and I don't need to adjust the beam at all (which is good because you can't!). The dimming with low revs and brightening with higher revs is more pronounced than with the stock 5" light.

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 05:36:52 am by jdrouin »

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 05:04:21 am
Finally got a new battery today. I was dying to get the bike running because it's been in storage for a year and all I could think about was riding. Unfortunately, there was a series of missteps like in a TV show when two people want to have sex but all this weird stuff gets in the way, like a kid pushed all the buttons in the elevator or something.

First, the nuts they gave me for the terminal screws were just a hair too big to fit in the terminal. Not wanting to waste time going to the store, I got out some sandpaper and tried to grind them down. I could get it most of the way in but not all the way. So I went to Home Depot anyway and my wife asked me to bring home ice cream. The person behind the register at Walmart was mind-blowingly slow. Got home and tried to fit the new screws in the dark. Dropped one and never heard it hit the ground. Figured it got caught in the chain, which was confirmed when I tried to roll it forward and it snagged on something invisible. Eventually got the battery installed and turned the key -- LIGHTS!

Then I noticed the screw poking out of the chain and I snared it with the needle nose pliers.

Then it took me like ten minutes to get the damned battery cover latch in and secured.

A quick check of the push rods -- perfect.

Kicked her over eight times to prime the motor. Then four live kicks and no dice. Opened the choke and -- BASTA! She roared to life like she'd never been asleep.

Ticks over just as evenly and pulls just as hard as the day I garaged her a year ago.

http://vimeo.com/26094141

Had a beautiful ride through town and then out to the country. Man I missed her.

Jeff
Warms my heart, Jeff!
Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 05:39:20 am
Nice!  I am also with you on the 7" headlight.  When I first got mine, I couldn't imagine how I got by without on before.

Eamon
Eamon

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 08:41:26 am
Congrats brother !!
No matter where you go, there, you are.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 01:05:50 pm
  Good things truly do come to those who are patient.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 04:57:32 pm
Yer doin purty good,jdrouin.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 09:42:08 pm
Yesssssss!
 ;D
Home of the Fireball 535 !

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 03:17:03 am
Welcome back,Jeff...the stock headlamp BLOWS...the 7" model (regardless of make) is 100% better...like night and day,literally...get some fresh ethanol-free gas,and new oil in that beast,and don't forget to check your primary,whether you use 20W40 or ATF-F...Happy Motoring,Matt Law/Bullethead63~
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~