Author Topic: Too much oil?  (Read 4923 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 06:55:28 pm
I think most folks are of the opinion that the UCE engine is still a little old school and that regular or semi-synth is best for the first few hunderd miles to provide a little friction and help break in.  Full synth is fine after that and I recommend it for all air cooled motorcycles since it breaks down less at the higher temps air cooled engines generate.

Don't worry about the stuff on the magnets unless you see a really big piece.  There will be lots of small shards and fine shavings on there for all oil changes for the first few thousand miles, but there should be less every time.  At 6500 miles I basically just get a small amount of fine powder on there now.  If you find a really big piece of anything post a pic here with a coin next to it for scale, we'll try to help you figure out what it is.

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 07:19:37 pm
I've ran full synthetic since day one.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 07:36:21 pm
And I would say that's just fine   8)  It's oil.  It's supposed to get rid of friction.  How that could be a bad thing even at break-in I don't get but that's not the generally held opinion.  

I do go with cheap oil for the first few changes on a new vehicle because I do them at really low mileages to get the first few batches of metal shavings out of the engine.  It's in there for so short a time I bet I could use Wesson corn oil and it would be fine.  No point spending $20-40 on full synth just to put it in the recycle bin after a few hundred miles.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 08:47:05 pm
After seeing that oil comparison link that was posted, I'm going to full synthetic on my next oil change. Probably Amsoil, but that's maybe not the final decision. Gotta see what my local purveyor has in stock.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 09:41:52 pm
Mobil 1 4T is also good and more widely avaiable.

Scott