Author Topic: Too much oil?  (Read 4878 times)

noontime

• Scooter
on: July 07, 2011, 03:34:15 am
Hey all, just did a quick oil change at 150 miles.  All in all pretty good.  As per normal I had to clean out some metal flakes and shavings.
I had a bit of trouble getting the correct oil level and after some futzing and over filling my question is...do you think is it overfilled?

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 03:41:06 am
  I have those type gauges on my Kawasaki's and it looks okay to me.  As long as it stays between the lines all should be good.  But I suppose maybe the proper answer will come from a UCE owner.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 03:49:47 am
it looks to be right about where mine is...  That's also where we keep our fluid levels for the hydraulic tools on the Fire Engine...  Just a bubble...
Chris

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 03:58:05 am
I'd say that's fine.  Some people had oil showing up in the airbox when filled to the upper mark but my G5 seems to be fine at right about the same as that.  If you took the picture before you ran it and you changed the oil filter it will be about perfect, if not low after you run it and the oil has a chance to fill up the passages and filter.  If you took the picture after you ran it through a bit but didn't get it all warmed up you might end up with oil slightly above the full mark after it cools off a bit and may need to let a tad out. A bit complicated answer to a simple issue; All-in-all not a big deal- between the lines.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 04:01:48 am
Yes, it's fine.  Notice the horizontal markers on the right of the glass.  Your oil level is right at the top mark.  That's where mine is, and after a hard ride last weekend it stayed there.  If you're not sure, check the air box after a good ride to see if any finds its way in there.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 04:19:57 am
Perfect!   Now go for a ride  ;)
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 05:04:24 am
That's where I fill mine to.  You are supposed to run it for a few minutes before topping off.  Some people have had some blow by into the air box when filled to this level.  If you're one, and you'll know soon enough, just fill to between the lines next time.

Scott

noontime

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 05:08:42 am
Thanks guys.  I took a short ride but probably not long enough to make a difference.  I'll ride her to work tomorrow and we'll see.  It was kind of a bear to get it right oddly enough.  I've never had such a time with a bike before...oh well I guess she's breaking....me in? ???

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 06:11:49 am
.. I've never had such a time with a bike before...oh well I guess she's breaking....me in? ???
I think you hit the nail on the head with that comment.  I love the ride of the C5, but sometimes wonder if I want to continue to have to fiddle with this or that.  That all is part of the RE experience.  It's just that there is a luscious looking black V7C in the window of the local Guzzi shop that gives me a siren song when I drive by.   ;)

Back to oil, I always measure what comes out and replace with same.  I put the oil filter in the funnel so the poured oil goes through the filter on the way into the motor. 
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 04:14:48 pm
If you get the Guzzi you get to change the oil in the crankcase, gearbox, and rear-end!  Very sweet bike though!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 08:28:27 pm
If you're like me, you will always tinker with something, even when the bike has no problems at all.  

Nothing so far has really kept me from riding if I want to, but I do need to attend to things on the RE a little more often than I did on some of my more modern bikes.  This doesn't make me want another bike, well it does, but in addition to the RE.  Maybe an old 70s Honda twin or a 150 scooter.  That way I can dig into projects on either one and still have the other one in one piece to ride.

Then again, whenever I have two bikes one just tends to sit.  I may get another bike when I add the sidecar to the RE.  Or get another bike with a sidecar and keep the RE as it is.  I talk a big game for a guy with no money ;)

Oh, and that V7 Classic is a nice bike.  It feels a little underpowered for the engine size from what I hear but I think I'd get one.  I just like a nice classic, simple bike that isn't a raked out cruiser or a repli-racer.  It's a shame there aren't more to choose from.

Scott
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 08:30:53 pm by Ducati Scotty »

noontime

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 08:56:17 pm
I like to tinker a bit, but I like to ride a lot!  Turns out after a good warm up and ride I did have to take some oil out of it.  Not a big deal...seems as though I'm getting the hang of it.  I suppose it's a good way to break in my not often used torque wrench!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 09:05:29 pm
I set mine at the top line when it's a little warm.  When it's hot it's above the line but doesn't spit any into the air filter.  If yours isn't spitting into the air filter you can have it above the line when it's hot.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 01:19:23 am
I had a bit of trouble getting the correct oil level and after some futzing and over filling my question is...do you think is it overfilled?

No
Bare

Just couldn't help that one!
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

noontime

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 06:30:15 pm
So this is interesting...at 150 miles I changed the oil from what the dealer had put in.  There were a small amount of larger particles in the sump screen and a small amount of metal on the magnets.  Come to find out they had used a BMW fully synthetic 15w50 oil. 

I put in a semi-synthetic 15w50 on the change and ran her another 150 miles.  When I swapped the oil and filter this time at 300 miles there were no particles on the sump filter but WAY more on both magnets on the drain plug and sump cap.

I put the semi-synthetic back in.  Should I run with semi-synthetic until she if fully broken in?  There seems to be some differing opinions on the matter, the owners manual says run semi-synthetic.  I suppose that is what I'll do until it's nice and broken in.