Author Topic: New C5: Impressions after 1 week of riding  (Read 2792 times)

Iyyer

• Scooter
on: July 06, 2011, 07:44:01 pm
Dear All:

It has been about 2 weeks since I picked up the C5 (black, which we all know is the fastest color) and just about a week since actually getting to ride it. The odometer just crossed 150 miles. So far, the motorcycle has been pure fun despite never crossing 40 MPH. Minor issues included a few false neutrals (driver error for sure) and a couple of stalls when stopped at traffic light. The idling will likely need a slight adjustment at the first service. No major issues with vibrations. The rear view mirrors tend to shake only if I am not in the right gear or the road is extra bumpy. Otherwise they are reasonably "calm" to get a good view.

I am still getting used to the "nimble" feeling of this motorcycle. It handles much better than I had expected and gear shifting is quite smooth.

More updates in due course.

Sincerely

Iyer

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 08:07:37 pm
The stalling and lumpy motor is normal till 1000 miles or so. Mine is at 2100 now and its a lot smoother and nicer to ride. There is a pretty obvious break-in period on this uce motor - I haven't noticed this big a difference on my three other bikes or vehicles I've owned.

You can pull the idle up a bit on your own - just a brass screw on the right side. Using a right angle driver makes it easy. Just go in small increments and blip after adjusting.

Congrats!

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 08:11:35 pm
Congratulations on your new bike. I keep lovin' mine more each time I ride it! There's been alot of posts about the shifting and I had a stint of false neutrals for a bit and I tried all kinds of different techniques. They just completely went away on their own and I can't for the life of me figure out what I did differently. I think its a zen thing. The main fix is to just ride it often! ;D

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 08:22:10 pm
It just keeps getting better ;D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 08:28:12 pm
Be sure to get ahold of the right screw. The brass one referred to is the 1/2" diameter one on the top of the injector in the hole. There is also a smaller screw that looks like it should be the idle adjustment on the side by the throttle cable attachment wheel. Don't mess with that one! It is tied to the Engine Management software and needs the computer to be adjusted properly.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 08:56:57 pm
Orrrrr...you could change out that Bosch plug for a NGK....worked for my C5... Congrates on the bike, sorry they didnt have any RED ones available  :-\ ... Have Fun  ;D

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 09:04:08 pm
Silly boy. CHROME and G5 is the way for speed, style & class.  ::) ;)
Nevertheless, congrats on the new bike, no doubt you will enjoy it regardless. It will improve greatly over the next thousand miles or so. The NGK plug is a great improvement on the stock one, and the iridium is even better.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 01:30:29 am
Silly boy. CHROME and G5 is the way for speed, style & class.  ::) ;)
Nevertheless, congrats on the new bike, no doubt you will enjoy it regardless. It will improve greatly over the next thousand miles or so. The NGK plug is a great improvement on the stock one, and the iridium is even better.

Which iridium plug would be recommended here?

Cheers  :)

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 01:52:00 am
I would hold off on adjusting the idle until you get close to 1000 miles on the clock, I experienced similar issues with stalls initially, but they seem to have mostly worked out now. Just learn to listen and give the throttle the slightest turn to get the rpm's up a bit. If you are still having problems after the run-in, then you can adjust the idle screw and have a more permanent fix that is appropriate. I've also heard that replacing the spark plug and exhaust can help this situation quite a bit, but I haven't tried yet (will hopefully be doing exhaust this weekend if the shipping gods are kind  ;D)

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 06:26:30 am
Which iridium plug would be recommended here?

Cheers  :)

NGK BPR6EIX.  Go get one.  Go now.  Shoo.
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 12:17:52 am
Gone, cash in hand  ;D

Cheers

kingrock

• Scooter
  • 2010 c5 military/ The green Goddess
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 03:15:00 am
The more you ride the more you will realize you are a one person parade. Also if your like me you'll have a big stupid smile on your face the entire time ;D. 900 miles and racking them up.

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 01:44:34 pm
The more you ride the more you will realize you are a one person parade.
+1
Chris

rbelyk

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 04:45:12 pm
The more you ride the more you will realize you are a one person parade. Also if your like me you'll have a big stupid smile on your face the entire time ;D.

++1 ;D
2010 Maroon Bullet Classic
custom 1953 Triumph

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window