Author Topic: R.E. Indian Cheif or Indian?  (Read 3234 times)

NoNameFlea

• Scooter
on: July 06, 2011, 02:17:01 pm
Okay guys.. I am having it out with a buyer for my Indian.. he is now saying it is NOT an Indian.. but a BSA.. whats up?
thanks for all the help..
Sadie

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 12:16:06 am
Ok, where's a picture of it?
If the number you posted is right under tne left hand cylinder, It ain't a BSA! Or at least that's not a BSA number. Someone coulda stamped anything else in there
Bare
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:22:33 am by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

DNash

• Idiot
  • Bulleteer
  • '01 Military - "Rocinante"
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 12:33:56 am
A picture would really help.

As far as I know, though, while many brands wore the Indian badge at various times, but BSA wasn't one of them.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 12:42:52 am
From the mid '50s to about '62, all Indians were Enfields, although production stopped in '59. There were a lot of leftovers that were sold later. In '52-53, there was a 250 made by Brockhouse in England that was built for the Indian Logo.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 05:44:42 pm
There are a lot more folks out there that know nothing of the Brockhouse and AMC association with the Indian Sales Corporation that there are those who do. Who ever tries to tell you your RE Indian Chief is something else, is one of those who know nothing about them or are trying to pull your leg.

I looked at your previous thread and your Chief has been modified to look more like a Trailblazer model. Even Trailblazer fenders can bring several hundred bucks if still in decent repairable condition. 30 years ago, a bike like yours could be had for less than 300 bucks but now, as a decent restorable foundation, can fetch a whole lot more from the collector type that likes British twins. You would have to advertize in a national forum like E-pay or Cycle Trader to get attention from the collectors.

Sandgroper

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 05:54:30 pm
Sadie,
If you are talking about the bike you posted pics of in March, with engine number PC50153, it is most definitely NOT a BSA. It is a c1959 Indian Chief, as made by Royal Enfield in England, for the Indian Sales Corporation. Always hard to put a price on an item you haven't seen in the metal, but based on other sales over the last year or two of the same model in similar condition, I would think you could reasonably ask for at least $2500, possibly more. If your box of parts includes a Stewart Warner speedo in reasonable condition to go with the correct dash panel you have, up the price about 300 bucks. Or, put it on Ebay and see what happens.

carlo

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 02:48:45 am
I remember those pictures. The "buyer" definately doesn't know what he's talking about.
And anyone who's knowledgable about English  motorcycles would know that an Enfield (no matter how it's badged) isn't a BSA.
Refer him to this website to give him a bit of education.

Sadie,
If you are talking about the bike you posted pics of in March, with engine number PC50153, it is most definitely NOT a BSA. It is a c1959 Indian Chief, as made by Royal Enfield in England, for the Indian Sales Corporation. Always hard to put a price on an item you haven't seen in the metal, but based on other sales over the last year or two of the same model in similar condition, I would think you could reasonably ask for at least $2500, possibly more. If your box of parts includes a Stewart Warner speedo in reasonable condition to go with the correct dash panel you have, up the price about 300 bucks. Or, put it on Ebay and see what happens.

NoNameFlea

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 09:09:54 pm
okay guys...thank you for all the help and advice....and if you know anyone that wants to take on another project...lol....let me know and i will send you my number

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 01:21:24 am
Well...I did it... ;D...I went to Pensacola,and brought this rusty jewel home...after a cursory inspection,I'd say that it's 80-85% there,has good compression,and has some of the most hard to obtain parts intact...like the fender indian ornament,the LUCAS tail light,original exhausts and silencers,AND...the original,cast aluminum center stand...but...it's missing LOTS of little things...anyone got a big box of R.E./Chief parts?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:09:18 pm by bullethead63 »
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 02:22:05 am
Nice going Bullet, I think you'll have a lot of fun getting it back to more original. The price on these is going up. My insurance company had me have it evaluated so I could keep my policy on it and keep it registered. Due to it's age. I received the value they put on it and I may want to go out and total it. Then retire.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 02:59:04 am
Thanks...I'd like to have it restored by December 22nd,2013...that's less than two years away,but it'll be my 50th Birthday,and I can't think of a better gift...I'm doing most of the work myself,and I foresee MANY orders to Hitchcock's in the near future... ;)
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~