Author Topic: A new Twist on the "What year is that?" anomaly.  (Read 2451 times)

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 05, 2011, 09:26:56 pm
The conversation went like this.

"Is that your bike?"
"Yes."
"That looks like one of the old ones.  It must be from Britain."
"No, it's from India."
"No!"
"Yes!  It's a 2010."
"You've modified it."
"No, it's stock."

He thinks I'm having him on and gets a little irate.

"No.  Let me show you what they look like now."  He pulls out an iphone and shows me a picture of a lovely AVL or iron-barrel.  "See?  They make them with chrome now."

"Very nice.  I wanted one of the chrome ones, but all they had left at the dealer was the green one, and they charged me a hundred bucks more for it!"

He looked at me for a moment, trying to size up if I was taking the piss, decided I was and walked away.

He was from India.   :D
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

SimonT

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 12:14:05 am
haha nice one....

I get it so often... its almost getting annoying. hehe.

Some do take convincing... Usually i have to point out the fuel injection :p

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 03:17:46 am
I don't much reaction to the C5 in Seattle.  There has been an occasional "what year is that?" but rare.  Maybe my Joe Rocket gear and Arai helmet don't fit the motif of the bike.   ;)
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 03:59:36 am
I figure he left India before the UCE came out and just hadn't seen one.  What was funny was that he wouldn't believe me.   :D
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 05:30:40 am
Some Indian chaps walk past my dealer and kind of timidly look over.  The staff always wave them in for a look and a chat.  One guy wanted to buy a C5 and ship it home, said he couldn't get them there.  According to the staff these are mostly tech guys working here for a year or two, rotating home for a bit, and then coming back.  I guess not all models are readily available all over India yet.

Scott

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 05:45:22 am
Some Indian chaps walk past my dealer and kind of timidly look over.  The staff always wave them in for a look and a chat.  One guy wanted to buy a C5 and ship it home, said he couldn't get them there.  According to the staff these are mostly tech guys working here for a year or two, rotating home for a bit, and then coming back.  I guess not all models are readily available all over India yet.

Scott

Export models are different from domestic ones.

Some differences are surprising, for example the Indian models apparently lack the O2 sensor for the EFI causing issues at high altitude.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 05:59:40 am
There is a LONG waiting list for the 500's there with guys having to wait 7-10 months for their bike.  That's after they have made a LARGE down  payment that most of their dealers won't easily let them out of if they change their mind.

I've learned this by going to a Indian web site (where they write their posts  in excellent English).
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 04:58:04 pm
Export models are different from domestic ones.

Some differences are surprising, for example the Indian models apparently lack the O2 sensor for the EFI causing issues at high altitude.

Yes, they run open loop.  Is there no atmospheric pressure sensor on these bikes?  I thought all EFI systems had them.  If you do that should compensate for the altitude in open loop mode.

And the top  tube of my bike has a "C5 Export" sticker right on it.

Scott