Author Topic: Pics from my Road Trip  (Read 905 times)

kauai1800

• Bulleteer
on: July 05, 2011, 09:20:13 pm
Aloha,

Alas...it was a car-based road trip, but fun...2200 miles in 4 days from LA to SFO to Reno, to Bryce Canyon to Area 51 back to LA. I rented a very nice and very FAST 2011 Camaro and went solo to clear my head. If you are in the market for a great American car, I'd recommend a test drive....

https://picasaweb.google.com/110360451456546567414/RoadTripAutomotibleMuseumArea51?authkey=Gv1sRgCLmd08vrs_-LPQ

Main thing in the photo set I think some of you guys would like are my pics from the National Auto Museum in Reno NV where I focused on the details of the cars: the grilles, hubcaps and engines. They had a great Indian with a sidecar too!
There's also pictures from Bryce Canyon, zion national park, Pacific Coast Hwy, Hwy 50 ("Loneliest Road in America") and other spots along the way. Hope you enjoy...
I used this website and it rocks...

http://www.roadtripusa.com/

Last few frames are from a trip down Grooms Lake Road - right to the gate of Area 51. If you go any further they will arrest you - and they the have authority to shoot you dead if necessary.

I had a picnic there and was given a "special treat" - by being buzzed at 50 feet by the USAAF Security forces PaveHawk helo...great day and a great trip. I came home completely refreshed and no longer pining for the open road.

'05 Royal Enfield Deluxe
'64 Volvo 1800S

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 01:46:28 am
Thanks for the pics! I visited the museum when Bill Harrah still owned it. It was mind boggling. His heirs sold off most of it. Out in back of the warehouses was a P-38. Looked like it finished a mission and they parked it. I know the museum now is more "accessible" for the general public but I miss the old place. If we knew you were coming to the mainland we could have leant you a Royal Enfield. That way you could still be out there clearing your head  ;)

kauai1800

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 07:51:14 am
... If we knew you were coming to the mainland we could have leant you a Royal Enfield. That way you could still be out there clearing your head  ;)
Thanks for the offer Uncle olhogrider!
I thought about renting a bike from the place in Az that rents Enfield UCE bikes..Sedona maybe? I think I'll do that some spring or fall when it's not so freakin hot in Az..my people live there.
And hard to imagine the museum even better..but I know Bill Harrah loved his cars.

As for Reno..
Tripped me out that I could get a hotel room basically equal to the Hyatt in San Fran for $43 in Reno (parking alone at the SF Hyatt was $45/nt!) AND a filet mignon served in my room with a baked potato, salad and vodka tonic for like $25 including the tip/service fee.

But damn, what a depressing place! whoa.
'05 Royal Enfield Deluxe
'64 Volvo 1800S

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 03:26:17 pm
Awesome shots.  The cars are cool, but those canyons are amazing!  The color!  Wow. 

Great shot of that downed tree, looking up at the ridge.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 07:22:51 pm
I loved it when I lived out west. So many great rides.
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650