Author Topic: 5th Gear Didn't Catch  (Read 5290 times)

commonbear

• Scooter
on: July 05, 2011, 04:45:45 pm
The Background
This is a 2009 EFI Royal Enfield G5 Classic.  It currently has about 650 miles on the odometer.  Its first service was performed at 400 miles last Friday, after which I took it to the beach and back Sunday.

The Issue
Twice before that first service, while riding in city, I've shifted from 2nd to 3rd gear only to find myself in a sort of Neutral... engine was revving but the transmission wasn't catching.  Dropping it down a gear and trying again resolved it.  At the time I'd chalked it up to operator error.

During the beach trip, once on the way out and once again on the way back, I had shifted from 4th to 5th gear and found myself in the same situation.  Engine revving but no transmission.  In the first case I'd dropped it back to 4th, found nothing there as well, then down to 3rd before I got actual road power.  A minute later I tried 4th again, got power, and then 5th, which also responded.  On the way home it was merely 5th gear that went wonky on me.

This has happened a grand total of 4 times now, and being a non-mechanically inclined individual it's starting to make me very nervous.  Is this a know issue, part of the break-in process?  Have I already broken something?  Warranty issue with the transmission?   ???
ZenCrafters.  Total enlightenment... in about an hour!

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 05:31:14 pm
Nothing is broken don't worry. three things could be at play here
1. clutch slightly out of adjustment - not likely but possible
2. The transmissions get better with age
3. Operator error. Error is a strong word however. There is basically nothing inside the transmission to cause this. The shift has a long throw and requires a very positive shift. We have seen several cases of customers (and a couple of dealers) swearing that they were getting all sort of false neutrials. They were in fact getting them but there was nothing wrong. We then gave these customers and a dealer a bike that was known to never miss a shift. They experienced the same problem. As we very carefully watched people shift it became clear that it was often times a case of boots, new shoes or footwear that didn't allow them to "feel" the shift, or because they were not shifting in a very positive manner. Sometimes it helps to move the shifter one notch.

I know the first reaction will be to think "he is just making an excuse" but we have been through this quite a bit and have always ended up at the same place. I would suggest that you try some tennis shoes a couple of times and feel the shift. You also need to make sure that you make each shift in a very positive way.

The old four speeds had at least one neutral for every gear and it was easy to miss a shift through no fault of your own.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 05:49:00 pm
The old four speeds had at least one neutral for every gear and it was easy to miss a shift through no fault of your own.

Very true, I took the my 4spd to work today for the first time in 2 weeks.   Must of had 4 or 5 false neutrals.  Not the bikes fault,  it is just that my foot was thinking I was using a newer 5 speed and being lazy.   
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 06:02:15 pm
It definitely gets better as the gearbox breaks in and so does your foot. Have patience and pull farther!
Bare
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 06:04:40 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 06:05:26 pm
650 miles since 2009?? :o   No excuse for that.
More riding needed. Problem will resolve.  ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

commonbear

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 06:21:55 pm
Thank you for the replies, all.  That makes a lot of sense and I will make an effort to be more "firm" with my gear shifting in the future.

WillW:  Yep, only 650 miles or so, but I bought it from the dealership with about 40 miles on it two months ago.  I'd ride it more often, but my tailbone can only take so much.   :-[

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 06:29:05 pm
I forgive you..... ;)

Oh  -  and welcome to the forum
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

commonbear

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 06:48:51 pm
Oh  -  and welcome to the forum

Yay for finding a place where I can have a panic attack and receive calm and logical answers in reply.   ;D

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 06:53:38 pm
I moved my shifter up one notch, made a huge difference in positive shifting.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 07:28:17 pm
Ya, as others have mentioned this is normal.. You have to make positive shifts, and eventually you will not notice it and only hit a false neutral once in a while. It did seem to smooth out for me around 1000 miles.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 08:18:06 pm
As already noted, nothing wrong.  Do check your clutch adjustment, it goes out more often when the bike is new and the clutch cable is settling in.  r80t's suggestion to adjust the lever is a good one if it doesn't feel right the way it is.

Also, you can pre-load the shift lever a little before clutching.  Just put a little pressure on it before you pull in the clutch, then cluth with a deliberate upshift.  It should smooth the transition.

It does get better with break in, it's always better if you pay more attention ;)

Scott

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 08:30:54 pm
I moved my shifter up one notch, made a huge difference in positive shifting.

Just like me. Actually I tested several combinations of peg level and shifter adjustment. Big different between riding boots and sneakers, too. It´s really necessary to adjust the bike to your body features, this will have an impact on weather you can keep control of your bike in difficult situations or not. The handlebars and levers need that aswell.
It prooved to be usefull to ride a couple of days with a new adjustment, even if its clear that is doesn´t fit very well. I first hated the way I put peg and shifter together - but after two days my foot adjusted itself to this set perfectly  ;)
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 09:14:36 pm
Ya, as others have mentioned this is normal.. You have to make positive shifts, and eventually you will not notice it and only hit a false neutral once in a while. It did seem to smooth out for me around 1000 miles.

+1

Shift like you MEAN it.  The tranny can take it.  My last ride of 100+ miles had NO problems shifting into or staying in 5th gear.  The C5 now has 2k miles.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 09:15:48 pm

It does get better with break in, it's always better if you pay more attention ;)

Well over 10,000 miles on mine now, and I still do that on a regular basis.  But once you stop thinking something is wrong with it, you stop caring.   ;)
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 09:33:29 pm
commonbear

The next time you get a shift where you end up with a neutral, rather than shifting back down to a lower gear, pull in the clutch lever and try shifting it into the missed gear again.  This time be sure to fully raise the shift lever with your foot.

I've tried this several times and I've always ended up in the gear that I had wanted.

Where the Japanise bike have a short "snip", "snip" sort of shifting the Royal Enfields need a long positive shift with the foot lever to allow them to pass the neutral that is between each gear and engage the next gear.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary