Author Topic: 5th Gear Didn't Catch  (Read 5300 times)

commonbear

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 09:47:19 pm
The next time you get a shift where you end up with a neutral, rather than shifting back down to a lower gear, pull in the clutch lever and try shifting it into the missed gear again.  This time be sure to fully raise the shift lever with your foot.

I've tried this several times and I've always ended up in the gear that I had wanted.

I actually tried that the on the way home from the beach (second time I failed to reach 5th gear).  It didn't seem to help at the time.  *shrug*
ZenCrafters.  Total enlightenment... in about an hour!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 11:26:28 pm
That is also a technique prescribed in racing when missing a shift: alwasy shift up.

The resoning there is that if you end up in too high a gear the engine will lug, but if you end up in too low a gear you may skid the rear wheel and high side.

Scott

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 11:46:35 pm
Sounds like you have all the advice you could need.  This was massively frustrating to me in the first season with my Enfield.

-Second the notion of having a good boot, with a firm toe to help you get that gear up.
-I don't "lift my foot" to shift, I lift my whole leg. That helps, mostly to not be lazy.
-Someone suggested here that leaving the shifter up until you have released the clutch helps. I think, again, it's just to reinforce a purposeful shift.

I was missing a lot shifting DOWN when entering corners quickly.  That SUCKS when you miss.  Doing the clutch lever in trick seemed to help with that.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:33:54 am by boggy »
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 12:42:04 am
-Second the notion of having a good boot, with a firm toe to help you get that gear up.

I always ride in the same boots for this reason.  The gear shift is set to fit those boots, any other footwear feels weird.

Scott

Iron Man

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 01:36:56 am
All good tips. The one thing that works consistently for me is a deliberate complete pull on the clutch then a firm full shift of the lever and holding the shift lever up with my toe while releasing the clutch. Only time I miss a shift now is when I catch myself trying to rush it.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 04:58:42 pm
I like that one!  Gotta remember that.

Scott