Author Topic: Rode a B5 - photos - first impression  (Read 5551 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 07:31:26 pm
Hey, how did it ride compared to the C5?  I rode the C5 and the G5 and I remember the C5 feeling comparatively lighter and more nimble, the G5 feeling very steady and taking a more decisive hand to turn.  Where does the B5 fall?  Scott
The B5 is definitely closer to the G5 in ride/handling.  I thought of it as a $500 discount off the G5. 

The suspension was stiffer.  The springy solo seat is nice plus for us C5'ers.

Styling-wise, for my old eyes the C5 is MUCH better looking.  My wife agrees (although she hates when I get a new bike...).

A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 07:38:50 pm

"The World of Motorcycles" section on the Royal Enfield shows a photo of a 1953 Meteor that seems to have a very similar tank badge on it.

Although the age of "Art Deco" had pretty much ended in the 1940's, IMO this tank badge is a fine example of that style of decoration.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

holodeck

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 10:33:28 pm
I have been folowing this forum for years. When the UCE came out I was hoping for a iron barrel with the new engine, not so. Much later I saw a picture from the NY. motorcycle show of the B5. The next morning I was at the dealer an hour before he opened and ordered one.  I am still in awe of the classic looks of the motorcycle.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 10:48:16 pm by holodeck »

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 11:56:21 pm
The reason the B5 is less than the others is because built out of NOS parts! It is the most genuine of the old style REs because it is using the old frame and such. I really don't expect it to be available very as they run out of parts for them. It was the one I wanted originally, but they weren't available when I was. Went for instant gratification and got a G5, instead.
Wasn't disappointed, though. But I wouldn't have been disappointed in the B5, either. Nice bikes.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 12:56:58 am
Thanks for the review. I agree with the sentiments about the badge. I prefer the brass or chromed ones. As for the acceleration, I'm sure it is due to the smaller front sprocket. I felt the same way going from my C5 to a G5 test ride.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 01:07:55 am
I really don't expect it to be available very as they run out of parts for them.

I think they're still making the 350 in India and it's still doing well, I think it's their top seller.  So long as that's true it should stay in production and stay cheap.  The more of the same frame they make, the cheaper is is to do so.

Scott

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 01:53:33 am
I hope my bike doesn't hear me in the garage, but I have to admit if they had the B5 when I got mine, I would have gone for it over the G5. Mainly for the rear subframe and especially for the toolboxes/battery and airbox covers. I've really grown to not liking the little chromed ovals on the G5, hoping to one day figure out a way to fit a setup more like this on mine. Will probably be quite a hassle though...

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 02:18:56 am
Learn to love the hotdog holders. Nobody else does. We don't want your bike getting upset. It makes it stand out in a crowd of sameness that is the C5.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 05:29:32 pm
Is there any reason to go on producing the G5?  The B5 is cheaper to produce, there could be a chrome version without much efford.
So maybe the G5 will become rare, in. a distant future when we all are pushing daysies  ;D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 05:51:36 pm
Is there any reason to go on producing the G5?  The B5 is cheaper to produce, there could be a chrome version without much efford.

The B5, to my understanding, is built from leftover OEM parts, (350 frames, panels,etc), which is why they are cheaper. When those run out that will be the end of the B5s. They are going to be the rare ones.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 06:05:58 pm
Why do they have leftover 350 parts?  Are they not selling the 350 any more?

Also, part of the reason it's cheaper is it only comes in black.  Don't hold your breath for the B5 Deluxe model ;)

Scott

holodeck

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 06:08:32 pm
One of the reasons I bought a B5 right off the bat was that it was announced as a limitted edition.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 06:25:20 pm
I love this machine.  Looks fantastic.

I understand the sentiments towards the badge and I know that it has British roots, but it just screams INDIA to me.  In a good way.  I dig it.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

elwoodpdowd2

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 06:32:29 pm
I will admit I am surprised at myself and really like the looks of the B5 over the C5 and G5. Add chrome fenders for a possible little bit more visibility for the auto drivers around here. Very nice. In an ideal world, a 350 cc would also be available. But in an ideal world, I'd weight 160lbs, be rich, handsome and smart. So I won't be holding my breath on the 350. But...must....pay....university....tuition X2, first!....MUST....pay....university....tuition X2, first!....MUST...PAY......
 :)
Still waiting until December.
Elwood