Author Topic: Electric start failure, had to push start C5  (Read 3382 times)

lj3

• Scooter
on: July 04, 2011, 03:43:37 pm
i rode about 60 miles yesterday, mostly at speeds of 50+. in the middle of the ride i stopped to fill up. after filling (and 15 minutes of talking to two brothers who had a really cool 40 Mercury hotrod with a full race flathead) i turned the key and no light, no fuel pump, nothing. i opend the left toolbox to check wiring, fuses etc and could find no problem. i turned the key back on and i shaded the idiot lights and i could see a faint red glow from the engine light. so i pulled the gear lever up into second, four big strides - hopped on - popped the clutch - fired right up. i rode a couple of blocks to a new bar in the area, stopped the bike and went inside for a water, (i parked on a hill). five minutes later i walked out put on my gear and turned the key - lights - fuel pump - starts right up.
this happened once before, since then i've kept the bike on a tender.
other than that this bike has been perfect, i've owned 5 of the new triumphs and countless old britbikes, plus 2 of the iron barrell enfields. the C5 is in the league of the new triumphs, my '99 Triumph, a Tiger had to be pushstarted many times.
i'm going to invest in a new gell battery. what do you think?

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 04:11:17 pm
I had a similar thing, but my "solution" was to pull down on the wiring harness under the front headlamp.  That seemed to reconnect something.  The shop looked it all over after that, and no problems since.

Better still is to go through the bike and better connect things that attach.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 04:45:16 pm
Apologies if I'm being obvious, but was the side stand down? Mine still catches me out that way now and again...... ::)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 05:22:26 pm
The dim glow would indicate low voltage. Most likely a bad connection from the battery to the bike or a bad battery. I had a battery cable fail and the connector on the red wire to the fuse box also.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 05:58:29 pm
Have another closer look at all of the wire harnesses in the fuse box area. I had a short on one of mine - was rubbing on the sharp plastic behind the two relays. It was the tiniest of frayed wires, I almost didnt see it.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 06:33:39 pm
A couple of times my bike has failed to start because of the battery, when I first got the bike I fell victim to the old kick stand down syndrome.  The original battery seems to run down pretty quick.    I am going to get an AGM soon, have used them in my boat, they last a long time and are maintenance free.   
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 07:19:25 pm
I'll get an AGM battery when my '10 C5 battery is kaput.  But I keep it on the Battery Tender when it's parked.  That thing has saved me at least 3 batteries over the years.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

lj3

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 01:59:45 pm
I'll get an AGM battery when my '10 C5 battery is kaput.  But I keep it on the Battery Tender when it's parked.  That thing has saved me at least 3 batteries over the years.

i went through the wiring and found nothing loose. the next day my wife rode the C5 about 50 miles with no problem. i bet a new (better) battery would solve this problem.
AGM or gel???

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 02:44:30 pm
Get a new battery and then double check that it is charging. You should be on your way.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

rbelyk

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 03:11:57 pm
I haven't swapped mine out yet but will in the future
sounds like AGM is the way to go
http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery_gel_agm.html
anyone else have experience?
2010 Maroon Bullet Classic
custom 1953 Triumph

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 04:34:38 pm
I have one in my G5. Works great, doesn't dribble. However it is a bit larger than the stock battery and some of the wires are a bit tight around it. I have to get back in there and do a bit of rerouting. A job for later this week.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 07:29:57 pm
I bought a scorpion battery for my other bike (much larger motor) after reading a bunch of positive reviews and its been great this season. I went several weeks with no usage and it started up strong. The other benefit is that they're really inexpensive! Give em a try.