Author Topic: "Must Have" tools?  (Read 5103 times)

StephenCB

• Bulleteer
  • I finally own one!
on: July 04, 2011, 10:28:54 am
I mentioned in my post that I finally have my RE, that the tool boxes are empty.

In addition to the minimum of what I should get to carry in the boxes as I ride (I am eyeing the kit at NField Gear), what would the list of "Must Have" tools include?

I have a fairly full tool cabinet, so may have most of the standard needed tools, I just want to be sure I have what it takes, tool wise, to do most maintenance and repairs.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 12:49:01 pm
A big spanner for the castle nut on the rear axle 24mm I think.   
A Torque wrench.
A nice wire crimper/ stripper.

Six way screwdriver <===linked  -you can  take the large bit out and use the shaft to remove jets, tighten hose clamps and such.  With one of these,a leatherman and electrical tape you can fix most anything.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 12:52:19 pm
I carry the following.

In the R/H tool box;
Throttle,clutch,brake and de compressor cables.
Inner tube and small patch kit ( to patch the puncture in the tire and in case I pinch the new tube)
A spare master link.

L/h tool box;
Points,condenser, 2 spare spark plugs.
Spare light bulbs and four fuses.
A couple zip ties, a few coils of bailing wire, a couple feet of 14ga wire.
Small roll of electrical tape.
( the factory tool roll could fit as well )

The tire pump is clipped to the right side if the rear frame.

For riding the local area minimal tools sufficient to change cables, repair flats  and ignition faults should be enough.

I paint my tools bright yellow to make finding them in the grass and dirt easier.

Because we sometimes venture far from home and well off the beaten path, my Bullets panniers are stocked pretty well with additional items and tools.

I like these 6-in-1 screwdrivers
http://www.tools-plus.com/lutz-6-in-1.html

and these tire irons http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/products/559-pumps_levers_etc/3631-emgo_tyre_levers.aspx

No matter where you go, there, you are.

MotoJ

• Ride Fast and Take Chances!
  • Grease Monkey
  • Poverty Rider
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 01:29:37 pm
I don't carry tools in my toolboxes anymore because I've gone through 1-1/2 sets of locks and lost two tool rolls. The little tubular leather pouches that strap to the forks or behind the seat look cool and are safer. My tools are in my saddlebags now. 10-14 mm combo wrenches, 6" and 10" adjustable, combo screwdriver, test light, electrical tape, plug wrench, and some slip joint pliers. You can take care of just about anything.
1978 BMW R80/7- Hacked!
1999 Enfield India 500 Bullet
1977 HD XLH 1000
1998 KLR 250
1956 IMZ M72m with sidecar

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 03:26:26 pm
Coincidentally,day before yesterday Jolly's left tool box opened and the tool roll exited.Turned a 70 mile ride into a150 mile ride as I attempted to locate the tools,without success.I readjusted the latch but did not see anything really wrong with it and can not get it open without the key so I just did not have it well and truly latched,probly.I do not see the tool kit as being available thru CMW.I have come up with a kit using a plastic roll from a cheap combination wrench set from Harbor Freight.I am gonna devise a strap that will hold the kit in place if the lid opens again,for whatever reason.On what to put in there,I went to the parts manual and the kit is listed but does not appear as complete as Jolly's was.So I just went round the bike matching spanners to bolts and so on,from my stock of "extras".Still need the 24mm.and tire tools.
This is just another example of Jolly and I being a fair match as I am forever dropping things,almost a ritual with me.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 03:39:51 pm
TDC tool and a small feeler gauge set. A jack comes in handy sometimes. You will find there are some open end box wrenches you will need to duplicate for some adjustments/repairs 10,13,14,15 mm. A set of adjustable wrenches small-large and locking pliers. Multimeter and crimper/stripper. Look on craigslist for tools or garage sales.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 05:28:55 pm
In addition to those mentioned, I like a small Vice-Grip pliers. I used one once to replace a missing shift lever. The C5 has a rubber strap in its oval toolbox. It looks just like the one holding the battery in. I keep my tools in a saddlebag.

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 05:14:12 am
I find that the tool roll that came with the bike is quite sufficient. I improved on the tire irons, and am looking for a set of offset metric wrenches. The straight ones are most awkward when adjusting the valves.  ::)

The stock tool roll came with both a couple of metric wrenches and some in "English" measure.  I think that most of the nuts etc. can be negotiated safely with an all metric set  8) The T.D.C. tool mentioned above is also quite handy as is a spare spark plug caddie (Both from CMW and reasonably priced!)  8) Get a inner tube patch kit locally.
Happy riding,
Bob
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?

Hog Head

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 05:29:48 am
Cell phone and wife that knows how to shift the pickup
Ducati Supersport S
Harley XR1200
Triumph T-120 Bonnie (Hinkley)
RE 650 Interceptor
Harley XL1200R

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 05:33:13 pm
Since I don't have any additional tool box storage places on my bike, The stock kit is it. I'm not even sure what's in it.
Things I have had fail out "there." A sunken carb float--my favorite--on a Matchless with an Amal. I had sufficient tools to take the float bowl off, I think I had a little piece of tape to seal the float for awhile. It got me about 80 miles to home. Of course, the tape fell off! It was a slow leak.
Flat tires. I used to carry a plug kit when I had tubeless tires. They don't work worth a crap on tubes! I usually ride slowly on the flat to a gas station and and proceed to solve the problem from there.
Ignition problems. I have a G5. What the hell am I supposed to do out in the sticks? Ain't gonna reset the points or worry about finding TDC. A spare spark plug cap? Ya gotta be s%&*ting me.
Cables. A throttle cable should be obvious before it totally fails. Clutch cable. I've ridden many miles without a clutch cable. Up shifts are easy, downshift require a blip of throttle blip to do them smoothly. To stop shift into neutral. To start push off with your feet to get it rolling, then drop it into first.  Choke cable, who uses it? They are nice things to have at home, but I never felt the need to carry any of them with.
Broken chain, Probably not a bad idea to have a spare master link, but that will fit in the tool box. May even be one in there. Guess I oughta look.
There are three spare fuses in the fuse boxes. Shouldn't need any more.
Bulbs. Got spares at home. Don't do much night riding. Should survive. Probably rattle apart carrying them around anyway.
Bare

Bare
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 05:36:27 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 02:55:07 pm
I find that the tool roll that came with the bike is quite sufficient. I improved on the tire irons, and am looking for a set of offset metric wrenches. The straight ones are most awkward when adjusting the valves.  ::)

The stock tool roll came with both a couple of metric wrenches and some in "English" measure.  I think that most of the nuts etc. can be negotiated safely with an all metric set  8) The T.D.C. tool mentioned above is also quite handy as is a spare spark plug caddie (Both from CMW and reasonably priced!)  8) Get a inner tube patch kit locally.
Happy riding,
Bob

I would also recommend a Cell Phone and a good motor club like AAA. ;D
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 04:42:26 pm
Not to brag, but All us Military Guys have a BIG advantage on the tool carrying capacity! I am loaded to the brim with tolls and both the factory manual and the snidal, i also have TWO spare tubes, and some extra wire. I keep more tools than I can remember in there, but I am sure that one day I might need them, and if not perhaps I will be able to help a stranded motorist of some type.

RIDE SAFE!
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

Afro Samurai

• Bulleteer
  • Afro Samurai
Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 02:22:45 am
http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/viewforum.php?function=viewthread&forumref=5&threadref=11061&currentpage=0

I am trying to get my on board tools down to a reasonable size....no luck yet...funny older post on hitchcocks

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 04:08:01 am
You can do almost anything on the bike with the tool roll that comes with it.
The tools aren't real great, but they will get you by for nearly anything that happens to you on the road.
For the added tools, a large socket or wrench to fit the nut on the countershaft sprocket(different sizes for 4-speed or 5-speed), and a 1" socket to take off the alternator nut are handy additions. A chain breaker and a spare master link wouldn't hurt to have. And a small 12v test light with some electrical tape and some wire cutting pliers are essential.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

flyboy

• Bulleteer
  • Keepin the shiney side up
Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 02:36:52 am
Best thing I found to have...small flashlight and "cheater" glasses.