Author Topic: hydrophobic front brake  (Read 2871 times)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
on: July 03, 2011, 09:06:37 pm
Yesterday Precious had birthday! One year registered!
That called for a drink swim - to mark the occasion I had to ride in pouring rain for the first time  ;D Till that day it was enough to crawl under a bridge and wait a bit. Yesterday I was soaked within minutes - which allowed to ride along relaxed, as I couldn´t get wetter no more  8)
But every time the front disc was thoroughly watered it took a couple of seconds to grip. This did not quite boosted confidence, especially when it pissed down cats and dogs so heavily I thought I had to overtake Noah together with his ark soon.
Wondrously no electric issue  :D, but the disc brake´s wet responding qualities should be improved. After a short search I found those:
EBC FA228HH Goldstuff sintered metall brake pads, 27,90 € in Ebay. There is Blackstuff aswell, and these are maid from organic materials, 10 bucks less.
Where´s the difference? Which can be expected to work betterl in rain? Any similar experience with wet braking?
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 09:33:37 pm
Cant say thats normal as on my C5 during rain its becomes more aggressive.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 09:44:52 pm
Congratualtions to Precious for first birthday !!

Did you clean the front brake pads and disc - they may be oily or dirty. Rub the surface of pads with sandpaper to remove anything clinging to it. When pads and disc are both clean (oil free), the brake works pretty good even when wet. I am more concerned about locking the wheel on wet surface so I usually leave more distance for stopping.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 10:04:10 pm
Congratualtions to Precious for first birthday !!
 I am more concerned about locking the wheel on wet surface so I usually leave more distance for stopping.

Thank you very much  :)
Yeah, I´m rather cautious, too, in the past this kind of delay-sudden bite-behavior was widespread among disc brakes and I experienced a touchdown then, too.
I´m trying a thorough cleaning first. As the pads don´t have much diameter left I´d have to replace them anyway. That´why I asked about this sinter metall stuff.
2010 G5

Walter Röhrl

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 10:25:51 pm
There are so many different brake pad compounds it is difficult to say which would be better in the rain.
Generally speaking though, the Metallic or Semi-Metallic pads will create more wear on the disk than Non-Metallic pads will cause.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 10:34:22 pm
More wear = more stop?
Excellent!
2010 G5

Walter Röhrl

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 10:48:14 pm
Sintered pads will wear you disc and won't last as long but they do grip.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 10:53:30 pm
 Maturin,
Just put on any new pads and they will perform a lot better than your old pads.  I wouldn't waste time sanding worn pads over theoretical concerns of oil etc., as any such fix will be temporary at best.
GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 11:48:11 pm
If it's heavy rain, it can take a wheel revolution or two for the pads to wipe the disk dry, so you can expect a little delay. Just don't get yourself into a position where you need instant, hard braking. You'll bust your butt!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 12:46:40 am
+1 for sintered metal pads. Organics are just cheap, not better. Also I am a fan of EBC.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 08:48:26 am
If it's heavy rain, it can take a wheel revolution or two for the pads to wipe the disk dry, so you can expect a little delay. Just don't get yourself into a position where you need instant, hard braking. You'll bust your butt!
Bare

Absolutely! I ended up almost constantly pulling the brake a little bit to wipe it clear, but it´s a brain thing. My highly trained reflexes (... ???  ::)) may be trapped in an emergency stoping, so I´ll pull the trigger harder if nothing happens in the fist second. After that, of course, the brake will bite hard and probably lock up the wheel, sending me downwards...

+1 for sintered metal pads. Organics are just cheap, not better. Also I am a fan of EBC.

Since the test results in some magazines are above average, I think I´m going to give them a try. I´ll keep you posted.
2010 G5

Walter Röhrl

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 11:05:25 am
Yer givin' me flashbacks.   :(
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"