Author Topic: Looking at buying. Ohh yea, I have a few questions.  (Read 9134 times)

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
I read as much as I could, even took notes, but, I messed up. I am sure I saw one that advertised 28 HP & still had the 75 MPG showing. I am unhappy with my 750 twin. The ride report I read stated they got 60 or so MPG & were riding it "In a sporty fashion" I cant get 60 riding it like an Ol Woooman. I am looking for a bike that has enough torque to be fun pulling thru turns & such, but still very frugal at the gas pump. Can anyone help me find the model that had the 28 ponies? I think I would want the bigger front sprocket, but I would most likely do the mod in the garage.
Also, my wife is looking for one to haul a sidecar. Would the Electra X be the right choice for that job,too? So, what we are looking for is 2 bikes & one sidecar. Input from you folks is appreciated. OHH, what kind of 0 to 60 times can I expect from these bikes?

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 09:54:23 pm
I read as much as I could, even took notes, but, I messed up. I am sure I saw one that advertised 28 HP & still had the 75 MPG showing. I am unhappy with my 750 twin. The ride report I read stated they got 60 or so MPG & were riding it "In a sporty fashion" I cant get 60 riding it like an Ol Woooman. I am looking for a bike that has enough torque to be fun pulling thru turns & such, but still very frugal at the gas pump. Can anyone help me find the model that had the 28 ponies?

There are none that I know of. Have you tried http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles ?

I think I would want the bigger front sprocket, but I would most likely do the mod in the garage.
Also, my wife is looking for one to haul a sidecar. Would the Electra X be the right choice for that job,too?

It depends on what you are looking for. Sunday jaunts at 45mph? The Electra and a Cozy SC would be great. Super slab - have you tried http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles ?

So, what we are looking for is 2 bikes & one sidecar. Input from you folks is appreciated. OHH, what kind of 0 to 60 times can I expect from these bikes?

I'm not sure what my 0-60 times are. I just know it's reeaal fun getting there. If you want cold hard 0-60 specs, have you tried http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles ?

If you've got enough $$$ for 1 bike and one SC rig you'd be doing yourself a disservice to not make at least one of them a Bullet!

Matt

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 10:15:33 pm
Ohh, BTW, I am really wanting a bike that delivers Cheap operating costs. That would include the cost of maintenance. I am sure the insurance will be low, since I bet they arent the most stolen or crashed make. . The advertised 75 MPG has my attention, knowing what little I do about bikes, I do know I like the thumper ride. Since its a pushrod engine, no cam chain, right? Since it's not injected anyone can keep this thing running. If the spark dies it's a box, if injectors die, its a computer, but we wont have that problem. Mostly, these bikes will be around town transportation. Grab the sidecar & go to the grocerystore. Load everyone up & go mess around out in the sticks. That sidecar looks like a trunk to haul stuff in when theres no one sitting in it. Thanks for the input.

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 04:38:53 pm
Well, maybe if I just ask fewer questions per post..

When did the 5 speed tranny come in? Do Classics have the 5 speed?

Is there anyplace I can go online to see the engine insides? Even a drawing would be great.So far, I am sold on the RE, its just deciding between the Classic & the new Lean Burn engine that has me scratching my head.

If anyone has both I would sure like hearing from ya. Cmon Hutch, Get that Electra in the garage so we can have a real comparisson.

gapl53

Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 05:15:21 pm
I have owned both and found them to be similar but different bikes. I like them both for what they are. If want a bike that basically has not changed since 1955, with a motor designed in 1952, go with the classic. If you want a more modern, trouble free, and sporting bike buy the Electra. Current models have both the five speed gear box and electric start.

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 05:39:41 pm
Justin - both the gearboxes have the same top gear ratio (1:1).  The 5-speed box takes away the rather tall step between 3rd and 4th which the 4 speed has.  Forgive me if you already knew this.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 06:28:59 pm
No, no, I had no clue. Thanks. I have seen quite a few pics of sidecars on these machines. I guess with the leap between 3rd & 4th, winding it out would kinda be needed? One of the goals is to have a sidecar on one( for my wife) & another for me, since I dont want 3 wheels. I might need them, just dont want them, So, I am trying to learn what I need to know before I start buying bikes. Thanks for the input.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 12:35:56 am
The 5 speed was introduced in 2004 in the US. Someone mentioned that fifth gear in the five speed and 4th gear in the four speed have the same ratio which is accurate. First gear on the 5 speed is a bit lower which helps for sidecar work. Someone else mentioned the large gap between 3rd and 4th in the 4 speed which is also true. The transmission sprocket on the 5 speed is 18 tooth while the 4 speed comes with a 17 tooth. Many sidecar folks like to install a 16 tooth on the 4 speed and a 17 on the 5 speed to give them a little more power with the sidecar. Others don't, kind of a personal preference thing.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 01:52:06 am
The transmission sprocket on the 5 speed is 18 tooth while the 4 speed comes with a 17 tooth.

Kevin,
  The newer 5 speeds may have an 18T but my '04 came with a 17T.  It is easy to check, just look down from the top.  Mark a tooth with a yellow marker, roll the wheel and count.
--Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 12:58:31 am
Well, I just responded to a message & was kinda going on about how I thought the classic would suit me fine, Now, reading this, I am leaniung the other way. Thank goodness I am in no hurry. I have time to lean back & forth several times before I buy anything. Thanks for all the input,

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 08:40:17 pm
Leonard,
You are correct I made a careless mistake, The sprocket on Electras is 18 and the Bullets are 17.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 05:44:37 am
Okay, how hard, or is it even possible, to put points on an electra & ditch the elctronic ignition?

Brother Rhett

• Bulleteer
  • I chase shiny objects across the internet.
Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 03:18:24 pm
From Jim in our Tech department:

The Electra has a crank triggered electronic ignition and does not have the distributor mounting on the timing cover. At this time there is no way to put points on the Electra.

One machine shop has slotted the trigger mount to allow some adjustment of the timing. This modification is not practical for routine changes of timing as the entire primary side needs to be removed to make adjustments.
What wouldn't you not do if you didn't know you wouldn't fail?

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 02:48:09 am
Thank you. I appreciate an answer I can be sure is on target & not a bunch of conjecture. Conjecture is 2 letters longer than the most common synonym. Not counting the space between Bull & err umm,, fetherz?