Author Topic: The last leak....  (Read 6580 times)

rpnix

• Bulleteer
on: July 30, 2007, 02:42:34 pm
I'm down to my last leak (for the moment) but this one is a persistent little bugger. The pipe going into the top of the cylinder on the left side of the engine (If I were more mechanically minded, I'd actually know what the name for it is) leaks like a spiggot, spreading oil back on to the cylinder head, making the fins into little oil storage shelves. It's been tightened, and it's had its washer changed, but it still insists on leaking.

Any idea how to put this bugger to rest?

The picture below shows the tube and cylinder, upper left, just to give everyone a common point of reference:

Shared from Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/simplyphotography/909689380/
Bob Nix -- '06 Ural Tourist, '07 Royal Enfield Electra  <-- Click on the bike to see photos!

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 05:01:35 pm
If it's a copper sealing-washer, have you tried annealing it?  Hold it on a little wire hook and heat it with a gas flame until it's cherry red, then drop it into cold water.  This softens the metal and gives it a better chance to take up any imperfections in the mating surfaces.  It only takes a minute, and it might solve the problem.

Tom

One cylinder is enough for anyone.

gapl53

Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 03:48:40 pm
Had the same problem with my 2006 Electra, the faster you go the more it will leak. The pipe that you are discussing is part of the pollution control system. It runs from the PAV unit to the cylinder head to interduce oxygen to the exhaust gas so that the combustion within the exhaust is more complete. This leads to lower emissions. The problem that I found is that the vacuum that is created at the  PAV unit caused by the exhaust gases, (venturi effect, the same way a carburetor works), is strong enough to draw oil out of the oil overflow can located under the seat. This unit collects the oil that is voided from the crankcase as pressure within the crankcase builds as piston speed increases. That is the main reason why it's important not to overfill your crankcase with oil. The oil pools in the bottom of the airbox soaking the air filter and limiting the air flow through the filter. The problem was so bad on my Electra that I was using oil at the rate of 1/2 quart every 100 miles.

The simple solution is to disconnect the large rubber hose from the top of the PAV unit. By doing this it will not draw the air from the airbox, this is how the Bullet Classic is plumbed. The added benefit will be no more oil soaked filters and other related problems, very little if any oil is drawn into the airbox.
I also pulled the large hose out completely, cut it, and redirected it from the air box to the drive chain in front of the chainguard to direct any excess oil from the airbox to the chain to help oil it.

If you don't mind the related problem of the oil use and soaked air filter, you can fix the leak problem by obtaining a brass washer of the proper I/D from your local hardware store to replace the copper sealing washer with. This washer can be obtained with a larger surface area so that the shoulder on the connector which screws into the cylinder head can form a better seal. Another hint is that you need to keep the hose clamp on the hose loose until last. Make all the other connections at the cylinder head first for proper alignment.

On another note you took a nice clear photo of the engine, I think I'll frame it. Beautiful isn't it.

Happy wrenching!

rpnix

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 04:21:29 pm
I actually like the one of the other side of the engine, w/o the oil stains. Not quite as close-up, but a cleaner engine. Take a look at:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=143

If you're really interested, I have much larger resolution files of either photo, and would be willing to share. For the sake of my reputation, please don't print from the lower resolution copies.
Bob Nix -- '06 Ural Tourist, '07 Royal Enfield Electra  <-- Click on the bike to see photos!

gapl53

Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 05:28:45 pm
Hey thanks! Could you e-mail it to me. Check my profile for the address.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 10:06:59 pm
Bob,

For a little more Electra X-specific information on the PAV and the hoses see 'Hoses' and 'PAV' sections in:

http://members.verizon.net/allofusmorrows/PerfUpgrade.htm

Matt

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 04:03:51 am
I dont know if this is one of the places where the DuckBill type hose end is called for, but I did see a post earlier & there was a recommendation that the hose not be left open ended.

rpnix

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 01:48:52 pm
I don't think the duckbill would work here. First, the pipe is going from the head to the PAV unit, and second, the duckbill would be dribbling the oil all over your leg.  ;D