Author Topic: Key stuck...help  (Read 1918 times)

noontime

• Scooter
on: July 02, 2011, 08:10:21 pm
Any suggestions.  I opened the tool box on the C5 and the key got stuck inside the lock...it won't move and won't come out. 
I do have a spare key but man this sucks...other than that I'm loving the first full day of owning the C5

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 08:26:11 pm
Try turning the lock, the key should come out when the door is closed and locked,
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

john hut

• John Hut
  • Scooter
  • EFI Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 10:40:50 pm
I had a similar problem on my G5  when I first opened it ,I found that when I pushed the toolbox shut it bent the lock arm inwards and did not lock fully and the key could not be removed,I bent the arm slightly outwards and it locked fully,I've never opened it again as Ive never needed tools while out..Hope this helps.
                  John Hut
John Electra Deluxe Efi

noontime

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 10:45:03 pm
Try turning the lock, the key should come out when the door is closed and locked,
thanks guys, I got it out.  Turns out that the innards of the lock is sloppy and has VERY loose tolerances.  I removed the lock from the bike, got some pliers on the flat spots of the threading and was able to turn the key to spin the inner lock mechanism.  Once it broke free it came in and out easily but if you turn it too far either direction the inner workings get stuck and won't move.

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 08:46:57 pm
Had the same issue on my C5- noontime. They sell a lock upgrade on NFEILD gear but kinda wondered why they havent just upgrades from those plastic POS on the 2011. It has been a documented grip for as long as I have seen back in the threads. Some people have lost battery covers going down the road. ah well. Hand crafted right!  ;D

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 12:02:29 am
Lubricating the lock will help. All my locks were originally a real PITA. . They work much better now. ow all I have to do is figure out a quick way to get them lined up with the slot for the arm!. Especially the tool box. That one takes some real beating!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com