Author Topic: The shift from 3rd to 4th  (Read 4993 times)

Dallastheologian

• Scooter
on: June 28, 2011, 02:11:52 am
I've got 50 miles on my new B5 and the only thing I find tough is the shift from 3rd to 4th. It seems like I end up in neutral more often than not and then when I go to shift up I am magically in 5th :o. I think this has been addressed on the board before but any advice because this is my first bike and I don't want to be doing damage to it or the transmission.

thanks all.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 02:20:10 am
Not uncommon with a new machine.

Until it is broken in, to minimize false neutrals I would recommend holding upward on the shift lever till after the clutch lever is completely released.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Dallastheologian

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 02:31:24 am
Good, I wanted to make sure I wasn't destroying the transmission.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 02:59:35 am
Tough to do.
 IMHO these transmissions are of rugged simplicity with just the right amount of technical sophistication. Overbuilt for the task at hand in my estimation. Come to think of it I have never heard of one breaking,,ever.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

SimonT

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 03:34:32 am
Yep there are a few threads around discussing this...

It will get better as you and the bike learn to ride in harmony :)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 03:37:52 am
This problem is 99.9% technique. You must shift positively and fully. They have a fairly long throw. We have had several complaints about this and in each and every case where we got the chance to ride the bike we could not make it mis-shift. We also put the same customers on known to be good shifting  bikes and they missed the same shifts. We also have found a high number of these customers are using new boots or other footwear that does not allow them to feel the shift. You cannot do any damage to the transmission and yes we are not aware of any breaking. We have had the occasional shift fork replacement but never the transmission as such. Ice has pretty good advice and be careful that your clutch is adjusted correctly. Other than that make sure you can feel your shifts and have fun
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 04:55:55 am
DallasT:

Here is a good discussion in this link on techniques for shifting gears in new bikes, that tend to go into false neutral between gears -

Pull the clutch lever ALL the way in.
Shift gear up ALL the way up
Keep the gear lever lifted UP and while holding it up, release the clutch.
Then let go of gear lever.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10578.0/all.html
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 05:02:26 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

whoguy

• Scooter
  • Hi... I love all things Beautiful...
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 06:34:13 am
Hi all,

I know there has been alot of discussion on this one. I just want to put down my thoughts. I find on my C5, if I shift by fully levering up from 3rd to 4th, more often than not, it goes into neutral, the neutral I suspect between 4th and 5th. If I gently tap down by half, it goes into 4th.

What I find works best and always results in good shifts into 4th is to;

1) Pull clutch fully in,
2) Lever up with your foot, but stop as soon as you feel (on your boot) and hear it go into 4th gear.
3) Release clutch.

I find you don't have to lever up fully to the end of the shift levers travel to get it into 4th.

Btw, 4th gear is the only where I've had trouble getting into.

Cheers
To ride or not to ride... That is the question!

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 02:49:43 pm
If the shifting is still tough after some time, make use of the possibility to adjust the footpeg as well as the shift lever. Bigfoots need room  ;D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:00:44 pm by Maturin »
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 03:12:54 pm
Mine used to miss that one rather regularly. I always attributed it to the fact that it seemed like a longer throw than the rest and I never quite pulled the shift lever up far enough. It improved considerably as the miles went on. I rarely miss it any more.
2200 miles and climbing. Loving them all!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 04:53:44 pm
I've been riding my AVL for about six months now and I still miss-shift at least once a ride.  It's 100% operator error though, and I think even someone coming from a crotch rocket with 'snick, snick' performance shifting would find it hard to get the feel of these bikes.  It's the quirkiness that makes them great, and when the rider and the bike's personality match up that's when the magic happens  8)

rbelyk

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 05:12:28 pm
I was having a lot of problems shifting with my new C5
I tried all the suggestions here on the forum and they did help but last friday going home from work I missed almost every shift
my bike is due for its first service in 150km but I decided to do a quick and dirty oil change on Sat.
I used regular oil as thats what the dealer said was in it. it will get full synthetic when it gets serviced
but man what a difference in the shifting, I took it out for an hours ride and only had 2 missed shifts which I attribute to my error, I only had one coming to work this morning
there have been a lot of recommendations on here to change your oil before the first service and I heartily agree!
I can't wait till she gets full synth in.
2010 Maroon Bullet Classic
custom 1953 Triumph

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 05:58:13 pm
I've got over 6000 miles and hit false neutrals here more than anywhere else, of course I'm usually being lazy with the shift lever ;) 

Proper technique should get you along.  Check your clutch adjustment, it's in the owner's manual and easy to set.  Also, preload the shift lever with a little pressuse before you pull in the clutch.  It helps a lot.

It should get better as you break in and get some more oil changes done.

Scott

billy2sheds

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 09:05:24 pm
I find i hit false neutrals on the down shift never on the upshift.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 09:19:16 pm
false neutral on the down shift before entering a curve can get a bit hairy....keep your hands on the brake there fellow.. ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again