Author Topic: Conversion to Solo Seat Question  (Read 11016 times)

fnickel

• Scooter
on: March 02, 2008, 12:53:00 pm
Working on a 1989 500 Bullett made for the India market. Would like to convert the current "bench" seat to a solo seat. How and where does the solo seat attach to the frame? Are any extra pieces required? Does anyone have a used, black solo seat that they would like to sell? Thanks for any information.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 01:41:29 pm
Depends on whose seat you buy!
Some have rear springs that terminate in vertical loops whose bolts go through the tool boxes and frame. These appear to be the more modern types. Others use the springs that have horizontal end loops and the bolts are fixed to plates that then go onto the dual seat front fixing points,
Now most importantly you need a front mounting point. Some frames around '89-90 don't have these. These are a lug mounted just aft of the petrol tank on the spine tube with normally some of the wiring loom running through the middle of this inverted welded 'hoop'. This is the front mount for all single seats I believe so check to see you have it first!!!
I have pictures if required!!!!!
Good Luck
LSM
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 03:23:34 pm
I purchased the "60's" seat, and found a great deal.   It mounts too high for my short legs, so i modified the mounting point from the supplied bracket, to the bolts that mount the rear fender bracket's. That moved it back to a more comfortable riding position, and allowed  the front to be slipped into the u bracket instead of the top.
For 89 bucks, this is a nice seat.
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 04:01:17 pm
I just happen to have one of those seats in the shed
just waiting for someone to need one...
                        - Mike
I purchased the "60's" seat, and found a great deal.   It mounts too high for my short legs, so i modified the mounting point from the supplied bracket, to the bolts that mount the rear fender bracket's. That moved it back to a more comfortable riding position, and allowed  the front to be slipped into the u bracket instead of the top.
For 89 bucks, this is a nice seat.
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 06:28:25 pm
The folowing is strictly my personal opinion based on a complete lack of scientific study and testing.

I think the solo seats with pillion pad behind is a classy look.  The bench seat can't hold a candle to the solo looks wise.  But, comfort wise I just don't see how the solo seat can be nearly as comfortable as the bench.  Especially on a long ride when the worlds worst case of fanny-itis sets in. 

Am I wrong about this?  I can't imagine being wrong about this, but thought I'd ask just in case.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 06:37:15 pm
I think the solo seats with pillion pad behind is a classy look.  The bench seat can't hold a candle to the solo looks wise.  But, comfort wise I just don't see how the solo seat can be nearly as comfortable as the bench.  Especially on a long ride when the worlds worst case of fanny-itis sets in.  Am I wrong about this?  I can't imagine being wrong about this, but thought I'd ask just in case.
I used the English style springer seat for the first year... BEST looking combination in my opinion. The problem I had was that I like to move around a little on longer rides stretching my legs out. On the solo I was trapped and tended to get leg cramps. My pillion didn't much like the smaller pad either. The long seat has been OUR  choice for the last 4 years....                - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

LJRead

Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 07:46:35 pm
The bench seat of my Thunderbird (and I think the Machismo that is on its way here is the same) has a rather large drop from the pillion part to the driver part, making it functionally more like a solo seat in that I can't slide back to ease the muscles like on a straight bench seat.  I'm starting to get an eye for the classic bench seat with the white piping as sold by CMW.  Fortunately, I don't ride vast distances!

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 02:15:08 am
road comfort..my wife and i rode from l viroqua wisconsin to payonia colorado on a 400cc suzuki the trick was a blanket and sheepskin bungied to the seat and also highway pegs .  could change positions with the pegs and my wife could use the r egular foot pegs for her change of position.  we also went from lacross to toronto then up to toboromorry , took the ferry to manatoulin island then around lake huron thru souix st. ma
rie across the upper peninsula to duluth minn( and to floodwood minn.) then home on the same 400. we are planing to do a few trips on our bullet.
bob
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 03:41:56 am
    When I was in high school I rode an old '60s BSA 500 twin with a solo seat and that little passenger pad. My girlfriend (who later became my wife) hated that passenger pad with a vengeance. I don't remember how the solo seat was for me-must not have been too bad.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 04:00:31 am
i know how to make fiberglass forms.. though it takes me a while because of the hand lamination..

for the electra with that large brace for the fender and seat.. the solo seat doensn't workk that well as Thumper might sa..

I'm 6'2" if I slide back to get comfortable I'm going up hill.. I'm going to build a duel seat this summer that fits me..  I'll keep yall updated.. 

also thinking aboutbuying a new elextra bench from the folks here and take an electric carving knife to it.. it think that would make for  a cleaner cut than a chainsaw ;)

fnickel

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 02:49:58 am
Hey Lotus Seven Man,
Could you post a picture? I want to see if mine is anything like yours. The spine tube on my bike ends 6 inches behind the rear of the tank. It is cut off straight, with a very thick "washer" welded across the opening. The washer has a 17mm hole in it, just under three quarter inch. There is no wiring running inside of this tube. Does this sound like it would work as a front mount for the solo seat?
Thanks for all the opinions and comments shared by the rest of you. More information means a more intelligent decision.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 04:18:59 pm
OK.
I'll get some pix now while the sun shines!!!
LSM

Ducati 916 'L' twin

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 05:05:55 pm
The folowing is strictly my personal opinion based on a complete lack of scientific study and testing.

I think the solo seats with pillion pad behind is a classy look.  The bench seat can't hold a candle to the solo looks wise.  But, comfort wise I just don't see how the solo seat can be nearly as comfortable as the bench.  Especially on a long ride when the worlds worst case of fanny-itis sets in. 

Am I wrong about this?  I can't imagine being wrong about this, but thought I'd ask just in case.

Personal preferance as far as looks.  I always liked the bench saddles over the solo.  As far as real world riding and a skinny hind end - the soft stock seat on my Sixty-5 will never be replaced as long as I have the bike.  They'll have to pry my cold dead hind end from the stock seat  ;D
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 05:08:54 pm
This is the front 'hoop' shown from the RHS. The white nylon roller is to move the bracket up a bit to a) get the seat level and b) raise it so it doesn't crush the wiring. The bracket is a sort of 'P' shape with that cross bolt going through the eye of the 'P'. Now that bracket can be fitted the other way up, but it didn't suit my comfort level. This way does!

Ducati 916 'L' twin

geoffbaker

Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 02:28:06 am
Are there any real leather solo seats out there any more? Just seems like real leather would suit my RE ...