Author Topic: Clutch life?  (Read 4222 times)

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 01, 2008, 10:04:04 pm
Anybody worn out a clutch in a year? Mine has never been as possitive as most other bikes I have owned, but lately it's getting mushier. Jim at CMW said the Electra clutch is much stronger than the old REs and already has the stronger springs. I don't baby the bike, but I don't abuse the clutch either. I have about 6700 miles on it.

I am thinking of buying the clutch rebuild kit and premium cable.

I am also considering getting a new speedo sending unit. I keep checking the cable and lubing it, but the cable is in perfect condition, and the needle keeps dancing around.

Also need a new solenoid, or new battery, or both. Funny how things start to go wrong at almost the exact same time the warranty runs out.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 01:33:11 pm
luoma

That seems a short clutch life. Clutch cable not adjusted too tight and allowing any slippage is it?

I read a bit about speedo cables on another site and that said although the cable appeared perfect and well lubed it had started to flicker the speedo too. A new cable sorted it completely.
Worth running the cable in the existing speedo with a battery electric drill (with a progressive trigger) to check if holding the cable straighter helps. I have done this and found with my free hand I could feel a 'click click' on the outside cover of a Suzuki I used to have. I assumed that it was the outer sections inner sheath wearing if you see what I mean) and  was allowing the speedo drive to catch as it turned.
If it does feel better straighter then you know it is definitely the cable at fault. If not then 'probably' the speedo unit itself is faulty.
Good luck!  ;)
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 03:34:51 pm
Thanks. I've adjusted the clutch cable and got no perceptable change. Even adjusted it to the point tht there was noticable drag. Could be that it was just slightly out of adjustment since new and I didn't notice it, because I didn't know how an Enfield clutch was supposed to feel. I might have prematurely worn it out without knowing it.

I am going to get a new speedo cable, and it that doesn't fix it, maybe new speedo/sending unit. I don't like not knowing how fast (slow?) I'm going.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 01:32:20 am
I popped the case off tonight and decided to take the clutch apart to see how bad of shape the discs were in. The discs were like new, but the bolts holdong the thing together weren't tight. One was loose enough to spin with my fingers and the other two weren't much better. There was also a tiny speck of grit between the fixed flange and the spinner on the throw-out rod. That probably caused some of the drag I was feeling. I'll find out tomarow on the way to work if that fixed it. It should, couldn't find anything else wrong.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 08:20:01 am
That's more like it!!!
The loose bolts were presumably relieving you of some (a lot!) of the clamping pressure. I reckon that's a "Problem solved" job!!!

Ducati 916 'L' twin

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 04:44:39 pm
Hope you found the cause of the clutch problem!

Did you remove the speedo cable (the core itself) from the sheath? I'm not sure you even can on the RE speedo cable. I've never tried to. I do know that I've had a speedo cable break in half and the speedo still worked - but would jump around. The two broken ends of the cable were compressed together inside the cable sheath enought to get it to spin, and I was fooled into thinking that it was the speedo unit itself. Just a thought.

I guess it doesn't really matter since you'd be buying a new cable anyway.

JC Whitney sells a universal cable core kit though...

Matt

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 09:27:00 pm
Actually, if you unscrew the fitting at the front wheel, you can slide the entire cable from the housing. I've done that, and the cable looks good. Even greased it. Still no help. Could be a flawed housing causing it, or the sending unit. Hope it's not the speedo itself, too expensive.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead

Ducati 916 'L' twin

faltnerc

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 06:34:03 pm
This proves that you always have to check your screws on your enfield ;-)
Besides: The speedo cable has nothing to do with a "dancing" needle.
This is only a problem of building quality of the speedo itself. The indian factories produce very different qualities of speedo units. When buying a new one be sure that it is "export quality" and that you get warranty for this item! If the needle dances again, send it back!

Regards
Chris

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 06:49:49 pm
I respectfully disagree Chris

A 'catching' speedo cable (as in not smooth turning) allows the magnetic coupling in the speedohead to slow down fractionally, then pick-up speed again as the inner cable 'releases'. This go - no go - go - no go effect shows as a 'dancing needle' I can assure you!!!!

Ducati 916 'L' twin

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 12:07:07 am
I agree with Lotus 7 - changing a cable has made a considerable difference to the way my speedo needle behaved.  My speedo needle used to dance around all over the place at any speed over 50 mph (indicated). Then the cable broke.  The first replacement resulted in a super-steady needle for a time.  But then strange things began to happen - including the needle indicating higher and higher speeds until the needle went right off the scale.  The next - and current - replacement cable works very well and gives me a very steady needle.   So far, so good.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 01:15:01 am
That's the first thing I am going to try. If that doesn't work, who knows.