Author Topic: The Happiest two Days in a fellows life  (Read 2627 times)

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
on: June 25, 2011, 11:41:51 am
It has been said that the two happiest days in a boat owner's life are the day he buys it, and the day he sells it. Boats, being primarily "Hobby items", one feels that the above statement could also be analogous to Motorcycles.  I recall that day four years ago when I brought home my first Enfield Motorcycle. I had traded a 1971 Honda CB 100 for it. The little Honda was identical to that first bike that I put serious miles on. It was a bike that I had found in East Tennessee at a Yard Sale for only a couple of hundred bucks. The Honda was totally Original. complete with the OEM Tyres. which were cracked and rotten. With a new set of "Chink Skin" tyres I was soon able to get to work on the little beastie. (parts were still being made in China) After a month and having applied for an Antique "Permanent" license tag, the 100 was back on the road as my regular daily ride to & from work. About thirty miles from  my Home in Murfreesboro was a custom motorcycle shop in Columbia Tennessee :P The fellow who ran it was mostly into Choppers, but also had a veritable museum of antique and classic bikes ranging from Triumphs to  a couple of Brough Superiors. Most of the individual bikes in the "museum" were for sale!
An old friend who had lived in Columbia told me of the Shop and suggested that I see if there might be a Royal Enfield to be had there. Indeed there was. I loaded the Honda into my pick up and set out to make a "Deal".  The Enfield was a 1999 four-speed Kick Start Enfield India 500 Bullet with only fifty-one miles on the clock.  The Honda was in Truly Cherry condition with only slight paint peeling around the fuel cap as its only flaw.  With only a little cash added to the deal, I was the proud owner of an Infield Bullet.  ;D
It seemes that the fellow in Columbia did not have a clear title to the Enfield, and the female hound at the County Court Clerk's office would not issue a title to me for the Enfield.  I got the bike running, but with no License tag I was limited to poking around my neighborhood on quiet days.
I liked the handling of the bike, the simplicity of the design even if the "Rube Goldberg" shift linkage was awkward.  

Damn, but you guys jumped on this before I could get back to it. Bad timing on my part and apologies to all. :-[ I will have to piecemeal the rest of this through the rest of tonight. By dawn Tuesday (Tennessee Time) I should have it finished. 

There is not really all that much more to tell. I found this group on line, and convinced myself that I really wanted to ride a Royal Enfield. I had looked at the "modern" offerings that were on the market but found that with the exception of the Royal Enfield, all "new" bikes were either Harley Dumbelson wanna-bes, or "Sport Bikes" where the rider rode crouched like a jockey with his butt in the air like a cat in heat. I don't like either riding position. I don't feel in control reclining on the Harley Style with my feet in the air. And I am far too old and fat to ride crouched down with my ass up in the air. I found a dealer in Chattanooga (about a hundred miles from the house) and bought one of the last of the REAL iron motorcycles a 2008 500 Bullet ES  8). Once again I was a happy rider. The old four speed Bullet sat chained in the driveway behind my garage for a year slowly rusting. The four Speed did come with front and rear "Crash Bars", a luggage rack, and pedestrian slicer so it didn't take long before they were on the new five speed. I also upgraded the five speed to the seven inch headlight and solo saddle (both were great improvements.)

Through these postings I made the acquaintance of another Bulleteer, who told me of a mechanic in Nashville who would take the four speed and get it running and after a while (90days or so) file for a mechanic's title. and sell it back to me so I could have a clean title to it. (Sort of a questionable and back door method I agree, but quite legal.)  ::) The friendly Bulleteer told me that he had to do a similar maneuver with his bike.  The mechanic would only charge me a couple of hundred bucks for the service. The mechanic came to my house and picked up the old four speed, plus the seat,  fender, and 5 1/2 inch head light from the new bike. With the new bike running I didn't need the four speed and told him to sell it if he could get me twelve hundred dollars for it. .  After a year as a conversation piece at his shop, I asked him how much I owed him to get the bike back.  I had found a fellow who wanted it in trade for a Jeep Cherokee. What I had thought was going to cost me a couple of hundred was actually going to run just over nine hundred dollars.  >:(  I figured that the Jeep was not going to be worth that so I told him to go ahead and sell it if he could.  Within a week, he had the bike sold. I got his check in the mail today and deposited it in the bank today. :) :D ;D ;D HAPPY Day ;D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:27:51 am by RBHoge »
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 12:43:20 pm
  Was just getting into this with my first cup of coffee for the day.  We're all waiting at the edge of our seats.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 02:10:51 pm
Yeah, that one's a cliffhanger.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 03:16:11 pm
My 1st cup,too.Waiting.............

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 03:51:41 pm
This better not end with selling the boat... errrr  bike.....

:-\
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 06:15:59 pm
I'm on my third cup and waiting... ;D. A good friend has a 36 foot sailboat in N.C.....Has to be taken out every three years for cleaning and painting.. Has to pay to dock it...has a small engine that needs maintaining and general  its a real money pit...Replacement parts are expensive ...He says he really loves it...
Oh Magoo you done it again

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 10:22:01 pm
The saying goes" a boat is a hole in the water into which one pours money." I 'm waiting too, and its time to put the coffee down and pour an ale into a glass.
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 10:22:58 pm
Definition of BOAT: A hole in the water into which you continuously throw money.
Useta race sailboats. They cost you just sitting there.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 11:58:15 pm
Friend of mine has got a 36 ft motor sailer too.Has not been out for 5 to 10 yrs.Good thing it is fiberglass.All the wood in the cabin needs work.I think he just does not have the heart to sell it.He is an excellent sailor and used to go out a lot.A shame.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 12:57:25 am
salt water is some evil stuff....gotta get those barnecles off and if u not gonna use it...might as well dry dock it...motorcycling for the most part doesn't conme close to the cost of sailing or serious boating...I think if you start heading into 42 feet and above it jumps into serious money...but i can see the fun iit while out on the water for a couple of weeks..
Oh Magoo you done it again

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 08:17:27 am
While in motorcycles H-D stands for "Hundred Dollars", the minimum you can spend at the dealership, BOAT stands for "Break Out Another Thousand".

n1acguy

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 07:46:05 pm
While in motorcycles H-D stands for "Hundred Dollars", the minimum you can spend at the dealership, BOAT stands for "Break Out Another Thousand".

Ha, Ha, I guess every hobby has it's money pit terms.
In aviation we talk of spending AMUs, or aviation monetary units. One AMU= $1000.00.
The specifics of an AMU are not to be discussed in front of spouses  ;D
My 2ยข YMMV

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 09:28:20 pm
.I think if you start heading into 42 feet and above it jumps into serious money...

Yeah, that's a big ass motorcycle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkC2WRhoNjE

Oh, you were talking about boats?

Jr.

• Scooter
  • 06 Military Iron 5speed
Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 02:33:52 am
Bob,
Im hoping this isnt going to end with
Im selling the Enfield,we cant afford to lose
such a great contributor.Say it aint so.
Jr.
Get On Your Bikes and Ride

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 08:49:18 am
Bob,
Im hoping this isnt going to end with
Im selling the Enfield,we cant afford to lose
such a great contributor.Say it aint so.
Jr.
No Jr.,
I'm not selling "Old Bill" I will probably leave that task to my daughter when she settles my "vast estate"  ::) one day. I did sell my first Enfield. :'( (For just enough to make the next month's mortgage payment which is due this Friday)  :P Again my apologies to all for having to break off my posting.  :-[ I don't have internet access at home and am forced to use the internet at my work. It was time to go home and I didn't want to stick around that Saturday Morning. I wanted to ride "Old Bill" home.
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?