Author Topic: Windshield  (Read 10416 times)

GreenRE

• Bulleteer
on: June 24, 2011, 06:23:00 pm
My fellow speedjunkies  ;) ,

The two windshield on the RE Gear site, well...lets say, are not to my taste. I am looking for something that is more sleek, like on this bike, but larger. Other than getting the one from this site and putting the grinder to it, are there inexpensive options out there.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=25

mustangdave

• Grease Monkey
  • ACES UP
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 07:11:36 pm
have you checked out "Hitchcocks"...they offer a "fly screen"....but I am in the same boat as you...I have the smaller of the wind screens...currently removed... and have contemplated taking the grinder to it as well....
I rode Japanese bikes as a kid...then I grew up and got some British Thunder

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 08:48:04 pm
The Hitchcock´s windsreen has probably the advantage of beeing a bolt-on-solution, but the (major) disadvantage of concealing the pilot lights. My beloved pilot lights - bummer! So I´m still looking aswell...
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 10:08:24 pm
Check out this URL at Hitchcock's -- it may have what you're looking for:

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-frame-fairings

They seem to carry more 'stuff' (having been at dealing with REs longer) than CMW.
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 11:26:17 pm
Look at this:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-fly-screen/

Couldn´t this fit on a Bullet, too?
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 04:19:02 am
Looks like it clamps on the fork legs. Tough to do on a Bullet.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 05:58:02 pm
National Cycle supply many kinds of windshields and flyscreens for different makes and models.  Have a look at Part Number N2590 on the page of their website which states it fits RE (picture shows them mounted on different motorcycle). You can give them a call and ask if they really fit REs.

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/results2.html?search_model=en-003
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 06:00:30 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

iowarider

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 06:19:15 am
Has anyone searched on the windshields to see what shape were being during the war years? I like to find one that is as close to the size and shape that was use in the erly stage. Thahks
82, Honda CX500
82  Honda GL500
2004 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 04:17:44 am
In My fifty plus years of riding motorcycles. I have always preferred to ride behind a windshield or a fairing. The best in my experience was the Wixom Ranger fairing. Metro Nashville Police bikes were so equipped back in the '70s. I bought one for my Honda CB-450 and enjoyed it immensely. At the moment "Old Bill" my 500 Bullet is equipped with the larger windshield sold by CMW. It is quite good, but could stand to be about three inches taller. (About eye level would send the wind and rain over the top of my helmet and would be ideal.) The rocket nosed fairing that Hitchcock sells does catch my eye, but ordering from overseas in a currency I don't know is holding me up on ordering one. Also the Mortgage is more important at the moment. :-[

;-})
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 05:21:59 am
iowarider:

I don't recall seeing photographs of war year motorcycles that had windshields (windscreens for our British friends).

In "The World of Motorcycles" I found a drawing of a 1948 Indian Super Scout which shows a windshield very much like the modern plastic windshields sold today.

In "ROYAL ENFIELD -BY MILES THE BEST!" on page 96 an advertisement for a 1956 Indian Trailblazer shows a similar windshield.

Aside from the metal band going across the windshield about half way up it doesn't look much different than the one our Sponsor sells.

Although the windshield our Sponsor sells which I mounted on my G5 is fairly expensive it is an excellent product with top notch mounts.

It shows pretty clearly in this photo.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 06:21:28 am
 ... and then there was the 1960 "Airflow" finished in "Metallic Blue" with the 700cc OHV engine ...

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 04:24:11 pm
To resurrect this topic rather than start a new one: I installed a Slipstreamer windshield on my B5 in early November. I expected it to improve the aerodynamics, and I believe that it did, but I hated it.

The problem was that it took all of the air off of my chest and redirected it to just above my neck, making for a very, very noisy ride. I adjusted it so that it stood up as much as possible, which helped the noise somewhat, but the air underneath then found a vacuum and began to flow vertically right in front of me. Adjusting it in between those positions resulted in various uncomfortable combinations of the two uncomfortable extremes.

Fortunately, my wife was in a panic to get out of the house one day and realized that she had left something, so she backed out of the garage with the car door partially opened, and broke the windshield. (I only paid $48 on eBay including shipping, anyway.) She also knocked the right-side signal light off. I reattached it, but really need to replace it.

This is fortunate because I hated the windshield, and I also want some smaller trafficators! (One bad thing is that I already drilled holes in the sides of the headlight nacelle to mount the 4-point-attached screen. Pained me to do that! I can get a new 4-point, or get a handlebar only mount and plug the holes, but it'll never be the same.)

I would like to have some wind protection, however. I'm only 5'9", but I suppose the windshield I had was still too short. Does anyone have a screen that they like? Down to about 50 degrees F I don't need a windshield for the temperature, but I'd like to ride when the morning temp is closer to 40.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:29:20 pm by Alan LaRue »
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 10:37:27 pm
As I posted above, I'm very happy with the windshield sold by NfieldGear.
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/windshields/premium-windshield-1.html

It is bar mounted and very stable up to 70 mph.  I'm sure it is stable above that speed but that's as fast as I've gone with it mounted.  I did this on my 400 mile trip to northern Arizona.
It is more vertical and smaller  than the one you show in your picture and when riding, the wind is directed just above my eyes (I'm 5'-10)

Once the bar mounts are installed to position the windshield, it's fairly easy to remove it as long as I remember to loosen the screw on each bar mount and then remove one upright strut from the windshield.
With this done it lifts right off.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 11:50:36 pm
Thanks, Jim. I may go for that one. I want this motorcycle to be practical!
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.