Author Topic: Encounter with GOZILLA Sprocket Nut - And Changing Oil Pump Gear  (Read 6773 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Sometime back, Maturin tried to change sprocket on his RE but the large 46 mm nut of FD sprocket would not budge and he called it Gozilla. I am borrowing his term as I had the same experience. But our solutions are different - high tech vs low tech.

I changed sprocket from 17 to 18 tooth on my G5.  WOW ! what a difference. It has better pick up, performance, less frequent gear shifting - overall feels like a new bike. The engine runs more smoothly as it does not reach buzz of higher RPMs in any gear. The overall feeling is as if the engine has no more asthma and it breaths freely.  

At the same time, changed oil pump plastic gear and oil seal that fits at the end of crankshaft. It requires removing the right side crankcase cover that has 11 screws of 5 different sizes on the cover. It is all here -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNK9tfJ1_xc
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 03:09:24 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Nice vid,
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 02:22:06 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Anyone know if you can squeeze a larger sproket into a C5?
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
I don't think there is room for one on a C5, it'd close enough to the case wall to scare me.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Maturin had a note about a c5 with 19 but I haven't been able to see if anyone actually did one.  G5 to 18 is obviously a no brainer.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10425.0.html
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Maturin had a note about a c5 with 19 but I haven't been able to see if anyone actually did one.  G5 to 18 is obviously a no brainer.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10425.0.html

GSS:

You can order 19 tooth sprocket from CMW and see if it fits in your C5.  It can't be so difficult to try it - then you will know for sure.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
I think a 19 tooth would be a step too far. I'm still uncertain about the 18 tooth on my G5. It's great on long runs, but for the local puttering about I now use the bike for I honestly wonder whether I didn't prefer it before. I have been messing around with different exhausts lately so that's probably affecting my judgement, and I shan't make my mind up until I decide which to settle on.
I'm surprised to hear how others have had problems getting the "godzilla" nut off! I was slightly unnerved to discover how easy mine was - not much over finger tight! Good job it has a lock washer!
I'm using the bike very little now until I get this tapping noise sorted out. I now realise that Watsonian didn't investigate any further after discovering the broken sprag, and that loud top end clatter - which coincided with the large metal fragments on the drain plug magnet - is still there, just as loud. I had an iron lung Enfield owner listen to it the other day and even he thought it was worth investigating, and soon!
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Awesome video, thanks for posting!    When it comes to video making "you the man"
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
My old friend Gozilla  ;D - yeah, it was pretty tough to chop it´s head off, I remember bending my brake lever holder when I tried   ::)  Nice to have four hands if the nut fights back. I recommend an exact and carefull approach, as it is obviously necessary to apply great force in some cases.
Even if the bike is used on  offroad passages sometimes, I´m convinced that the taller gearing works much better. Even with my cousin on the back (110kg without clothes  ;D) there wasn´t any problem in dense traffic, I wonder why this is not standard.
Great video, Singh, as ever. These are certainly more helpfull to beginners as the cryptic manual. I was even allowed to listen to the soundtrack  8) - jipeee!
Hitchcock, as well as the german importer, are offering sprockets up to 20 teeth.
http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-gearbox-gearbox#part_5844
The thought had occurred to me that they wouldn´t do that if they wouldn´t have tried before. But...were talking about Enfields! So, according to the famous lawmaker Murphy as well as everyone´s horse-sense is still possible, though, that it will work..not  ;)
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
I enjoyed that video....Enjoy all your videos.. I like how u sized up the case screws to show that you may not remember where each belongs when reversing the process. That oil seal doesn't seem like much but it does a important job...Nylon oil pump gear replacement  - Was that a upgrade due to the original one being nferior in quality?  While I'm at it, the replacement oil seal looked like a upgraded part...You do fantastc work and documentation..Thanks
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
I think a 19 tooth would be a step too far. I'm still uncertain about the 18 tooth on my G5. 

Remember, the C5 has an 18 tooth stock because of the smaller wheels.  So on a C5 19 is just one notch up.

I could swear that someone had gotten it on and it just barely fit.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Yes I was referring to the G5. I think you could still squeeze a 19 onto the G5 but the gearing would be all wrong. The 18 is nice for higher cruising speed, but after a week or two with it on, and just chugging around local roads, I'm thinking they got it about right with 17.  I'll be switching back.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
I think the stock gearing on my C5 is perfect for the area I live in, I usually put a taller sprocket on my bikes but this one doesn't need it.
Iron Butt Association

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
I am pretty happy with the 18 tooth on the C5, but it could use a tiny bit of help on the highway at 65-70.........I might try messing with a 19t one of these days.
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
There is a Gozilla spanner for this nut at the dealership, its called special fatory tool.
Even with that it is not easy to take it off. Mine was taken off for inspection of equal wear on either sides.

Chill