Author Topic: Encounter with GOZILLA Sprocket Nut - And Changing Oil Pump Gear  (Read 6771 times)

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
What the heck does the oil seal do at the end of the crankshaft?  It's inside the crankcase where there's lots of oil and nowhere for the oil to go if it did get past that seal, right?  I must be missing something.  Great video, btw!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
What the heck does the oil seal do at the end of the crankshaft?  It's inside the crankcase where there's lots of oil and nowhere for the oil to go if it did get past that seal, right?  I must be missing something.  Great video, btw!

Thanks for appreciating the video.

There is a hole in the shaft (picture below). Oil travels through it to lubricate flywheel and piston.

Also check this link that has description of oil flow -

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,11035.0/all.html
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 05:31:01 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Ah-ha! Funny, I read that other post too and I didn't quite get it before. Thanks!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
But, you don't want the oil to get past the seal. It could spell disaster to your bottom end bearings, especially if you're running an iron barrel engine. They don't pump much oil to start with.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
The plastic gear of oil pump and the oil seal for the shaft were in excellent shape even after over 14 K miles on the bike. The seal looked like new. I can say that these parts are of very good quality as was also seen by r80rt on his C5.

It was poking and prying with screw driver to take it out, that started to damage the seal and removed some of the seal skin.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
okay that explains it....the parts were fine even after 14k on the clock....thanks
Oh Magoo you done it again