Author Topic: Ok guys..stupid questions  (Read 6547 times)

gunnerasch

• Scooter
on: June 20, 2011, 05:14:05 pm
As many here know..Im starting a cleanup on a 61 Indian...IE super meteor/Constillation.

Since parts are very hard to find..or out of my price range...what Asian Indian (Bullet) parts will fit?  Frame stuff of course, head lights, fork gaiters, etc etc etc. I need a Speedo/gauges/lights etc etc.   And how do I convert from 6vt positive ground to 12vt negative ground?  Help!!!

Gunner, pondering the imponderable

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 05:54:51 pm
And how do I convert from 6vt positive ground to 12vt negative ground?

Is that a points coil/ alternator bike or does it have a magdyno on it?
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 06:40:09 pm
For what it is worth I have on my 58 Crusader the bits look exactly like the bits on my 95 Royal Enfield India..   I imagine the non engine bits will bolt right on...   

You might be able to put a modern alternator in the primary on that rig also.  It depends on the the way your crank is set up but as it look like it used the same primary and trans as a 500cc bullet it might just work.

Here is a picture of the crank on my 07 with the woodruff key and spacer still on the shaft.      I know the inner primary will bolt right up to a modern alternator as  I replaced the 07 inner primary in picture with a KS only inner off a 60's RE I bought on fleabay.

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 01:19:13 am
To go to 12v you'd need a later model 12v alternator. Switching to negative just wire it with everything to negative ground and all your bulbs etc. to 12v. The stator for the alternator is a two wire one. Then get a Podtronics single phase rectifier for the alternator to charge the battery. You won't have a Magdyno on it if the motor is as late as you say, it's probably not a 61 year because they stopped using RE motors in 59' it must have a Magneto or Distributor on it. Easier to wire if you have a Mag.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 02:41:17 am
To go to 12v you'd need a later model 12v alternator.

If it's got an 6v alternator you don't have to change the alternator to convert to 12v.
Either alternator will put out 30/40 volts and you can regulate it with a POD or Tympanium voltage regulator down to 12v.

http://www.britcycle.com/Manuals/Podtronicinst.html

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 02:53:55 am
That's right you just connect the two wires together  on the three wire 6v stator to give you the 12v you want. Forgot about doing that.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 07:00:36 pm
1961 was probably the last year that the Chief was available from Indian Sales Corp. Many were probably left over from the last orders in 1960. AMC bought out Indian Sales Corp from John Brockhouse in Late 59 but kept selling the Chief as a police bike since they didn't manufacture a bike that big. Those old Chief models had a Lucas battery/distributor ignition when new. It would be easy to put an SR-2 magneto on there and they are still around. I see them on the E-Pay all the time. The later battery ignition from an Interceptor series 1A will also adapt and they were 12-volt. If you have or can find a Lucas distributor, it can be converted to electronic ignition. You can also install a K2F type magneto but they are more prone to problems than the SR-2.

As was mentioned earlier, a 12-volt alternator stator can be purchased to fit the older models then short wired either with a Zener diode or a more modern rectifier. All of the early style Lucas switches have been reproduced. The only really hard stuff to find are the quick disconnect plugs that were used on the Indian Apache models.

Personally, I keep my old stuff 6-volt since replacement parts are still available to keep them running. Hitchcocks is still the best source of parts for the old Redditch RE twins.

Kerby

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 11:46:24 pm
What's the engine # stamped just above the primary. If I know that I can give you the year it was produced and what model the engine is. Would be interesting to see just what year it is exactly. Rotor is correct about fitting the different ignitions. I just went one better and installed a Bt-h magneto on the Apache I'm putting together. What a nice piece of equipment that is.  ERC

carlo

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 10:08:45 pm
To go to 12v you'd need a later model 12v alternator. Switching to negative just wire it with everything to negative ground and all your bulbs etc. to 12v. The stator for the alternator is a two wire one. Then get a Podtronics single phase rectifier for the alternator to charge the battery. You won't have a Magdyno on it if the motor is as late as you say, it's probably not a 61 year because they stopped using RE motors in 59' it must have a Magneto or Distributor on it. Easier to wire if you have a Mag.   ERC

It's probably registered as a '61 model, but could have been made as much as two years earlier.

My Tomahawk says 1959 on the title, but according to the factory records held by the REOC in England, it left the factory in November, 1957.  The model year on the title only reflects when the bike was sold by the dealer in the US.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 10:39:21 pm
The last Chiefs were actually manufactured in '59, although sold as later models. Why not put a Boyer or other electronic ignition module on it? It goes into the stock distributor and works a hell of a lot better than the point setup, or mag. And once installed, no maintenance.
Bare
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:29:45 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gunnerasch

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 05:01:01 pm
Thanks guys...sorry about the slow response..Im a traveling service tech and I fix machine tools in machine shops..so Im gone a lot.

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/IndianRoyalEnfield

Here are the pictures of my scooter as it is.

Any suggestions, help etc etc would be greatly appreciated.

I actually started it a couple years ago..then had some heart surgery..stroke..etc and had to leave it alone for a while. Now Im ready to dig in <G>

As you can see..the previous owner took a BUNCH of stuff off the bike for whatever reason

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 05:07:45 pm
For a chop/bobber it is not overdone. You could spend more than the bike is worth in a "proper" restoration but I would be inclined to just polish/paint and ride it as a period piece.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 06:36:37 pm
I would put a bigger tank, 7" lamp and better seat on it.  If you could get a front clip off a junker someplace that would be good..     Someone might have a spare floating around here someplace....   
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

gunnerasch

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 09:44:24 pm
Front clip?  What is that?  The Stuff that holds the head lamp on?  The question remains...I need a head lamp..and speedo and amp gage and lighting switches etc etc for just the head light alone..Most of that stuff comes on either a plate above the headlamp..or attached to the headlamp..right?  Indian Enfield the way to go or?

And whats the best way to polish up the engine. One assumes Im never going to get it mirror polished..but?

Cheap but effective is what Im looking for..not by preference..but....money being tight...very tight....

So guys..give me some details if you would be so kind! Please!!

Gunner

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 10:36:19 pm
 I keep on hand #0000 steel wool, Brasso, Mothers Mag polish and Nevr Dull for polishing up alloy bits. If you can find it, Dupont's #7 chrome polish works well on plated parts.

For switch gear any reproduction vintage styled Britt bike bits sourced second hand from the internet and swap meets would fit the function and style of bikes time. 

No matter where you go, there, you are.