Author Topic: Will Indian Bullet Gas tank fit '61 Super Meteor/Constillation frame?  (Read 9973 times)

Sandgroper

• Scooter
ERC, the top yoke is not Interceptor. Those are Chief yokes, without the Chief dash panel. They are Chief forks, with a Chief front hub. The whole bike is a Chief, or if you like, was originally a Chief, even if it is not standard now.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 06:30:24 pm by Sandgroper »

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Maybe I'm wrong but your top fork tree looks like the Interceptor. Here's a picture of the Chief top tree I'll have to look at mine tonight to see if the dash bolts on to the tree.
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
The Chief dash is a seperate piece from the top steering head clamp that just fits down on top of it. The dash housed the amp meter and light switch as well as the big Stewart Warner speedo. On the Trailblazers the top clamp housed the big speedometer only and was not a seperate part. The Apache used the first dual instrument top clamp that housed the Smiths chronometric speedo and tach. It was carried over into the USA versions of the Interceptor. All of the UK home market models used the large casquette that housed the headlamp and pilot lamps as well as the speedo, light switch, and amp meter so you won't find much information on Hitchcocks about the USA stuff. The late series II Interceptors used a Norton front end complete with gaiters and all that. The instrument mountings were also Norton with Smiths grey face magnetic instruments I believe.

If I was looking for a speedo/tach triple tree, I'd look for the USA Interceptor front end. The Chief front end does have that wide glide look to it and it's the only one of the models that used it with the exception of the Pashley type three wheel Indian Patrol Car. Those large bolt looking fasteners that go down into the fork tubes in the picture above, are the fasteners that hold the dash to the clamp top. The fork tubes threaded externally up into the clamp and those bolts thread down inside of the fork tubes.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:47:38 pm by rotorwrench »

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
I looked at my Chief and rotor is correct. I never looked that close at it before. The only ones I've had apart are the Bullet, Apache and Trailblazer ones. I would think it wouldn't be to hard to fabricate a dash to attach to what you have. Seeing as how it's not anything that holds the forks in place.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

gunnerasch

• Scooter
Thanks for that photo of the top section of the Indian.  Would it be possible to get a picture of that from both sides and directly from the front?  That would allow me to scale a new dash and then fab it up.  One assumes that the headlamp is simply a straight headlamp, with no gauges/switches etc etc?  And is it a side mount or how does it attach to everything? Im very short of photos I can work from.

Thanks!!

Gunner

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
It's a single post bottom mount. Check out this site and click on the Chief parts that Phil makes over in the land of Oz. www.re-indian.com.
He has a few items that he makes for the Chiefs to spare. One is the dash and the other is the phalic looking head lamp mount.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Couldn't get to the other side. Heres the pictures I hope. I'd have to move it outside to get better pictures.  ERC

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Here's the other

carlo

• Scooter
Here's one I just put together using different parts. Some from a Bullet or parts that will fit a Bullet.  ERC

ERC, I'm doing a similar setup with my Tomahawk (sorry for going off topic), with the same front hub, forks and fender as yours. Did you buy the Indian made fender stays? I've ordered a pair of 19 inch front and rear alloy fenders from the NField Gear store, but held off on ordering the stays until I know that the hole spacing on the center stay  matches the fork for my bike. I have several Enfield forks, and the hole spacing is different for the 1958 Tomahawk.
Can you measure the center to center spacing for the fork holes on the middle fender stay for me?

Thanks.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Hi Carlo, I made the stays for the front and back fender. They are just bent out of 3/4 " flat steel. Now that I look at them I wish I'd made them from stainless. I don't understand the measurement you want me to tell you on the stay. The stays go right over the fender in one piece. I did them that way, if you put indvidual stays on they don't support the fender enough. The measurement on the middle one from the fork screw to where it screws into the fender is about 9 1/2". If you want any close up pictures you can email me my email is on the page when you hit my name on this. I think you'd be ahead of the game making your own every set of stays I have didn't make it fit right.  ERC

gunnerasch

• Scooter
Thanks for the photos!  Helped a lot!  I think I can weld up something out of aluminum that will work well enough.

Now..tough question....how the dickens do I polish up all the engine aluminum? I see pretty engines..but mine is dull gray at best.  Ive tried both Mothers and humm..the stuff in the blue topped jars...and it simply doesnt do a heck of a lot.  I even took some hidden parts and hit em with a soft polishing wheel with green grinding compound..and it simply wasnt doing a heck of a lot.  Whats the trick!??!!!!

Thanks guys!

Gunner

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
No big trick just a lot of hand buffing,you just put a dab of polish on the rag and keep polishing till you get it to shine in a small area and expand it from there. If you can take them off the bike a buffing wheel on a grinder makes it go a lot faster.  ERC

carlo

• Scooter
The measurement I'm looking for is the one between the two lugs on the rear of the fork sliders that the middle stay attaches to. However, if you made the stays yourself, even if the measurement on your forks matches mine, it won't help me decide if the stays I'm looking at on the NField Gear site will work.
I've made stays out of flat steel before, and I'm hoping to improve on the makeshift appearance this time around.

Ok, on a closer look at your bike,  I see why you're confused about my question. I don't recall ever seeing a middle fender stay mounted the way yours is.
All the middle fender stays I've ever looked at were mounted just behind the fork slider, attached to the two lugs. The bottom lug has both the rear fender stay, and the bottom of the middle stay attached to it. 

I'll  have to check my forks and see if I have any with a mounting hole on the inside of the sliders like yours does. The angle that the stay crosses the fender is a bit more appropriate than when the stay is parallel to the fork.

Hi Carlo, I made the stays for the front and back fender. They are just bent out of 3/4 " flat steel. Now that I look at them I wish I'd made them from stainless. I don't understand the measurement you want me to tell you on the stay. The stays go right over the fender in one piece. I did them that way, if you put indvidual stays on they don't support the fender enough. The measurement on the middle one from the fork screw to where it screws into the fender is about 9 1/2". If you want any close up pictures you can email me my email is on the page when you hit my name on this. I think you'd be ahead of the game making your own every set of stays I have didn't make it fit right.  ERC
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 02:57:52 pm by carlo »

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Yea I know what you mean on where the fork stays mount. My Chief ,Bullet etc all mount like what your saying. The tubes on mine are different than what I've seen before. It could be they are off a late model Interceptor? The whole bike is made up out of pieces.  ERC

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Gunner, I use two products that work well on aluminum that can be used by hand. One is Autosol and the other is called Metall. Mothers is similar but I'm have no idea of the chemical differences they might have. If you start with a fine Scotchbrite pad or steel wool dipped in the polish, things will go faster for you. Then do a buffing up with soft cloths unless you have some form of power buffing equipment, this is the least expensive method to get results